Heart Valve Issues, Anyone?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by belltoller, Oct 24, 2014.

1. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I warn't trying for a record heart-rate, by any means. Surprised me when I saw it. I'm hoping I just saw the numbers wrong.

In fact, when I was doing the last stress test, I was very conscious of my respiration and attempted entering into a Yoga-like, meditative state even whilst on the treadmill. I do recall I perspired a lot less than I would've normally, but I'd forgone the 3 cups of coffee that I usually have in the mornings - which could account for that.

This rubbish is really messing with my head.

2. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I really would relax man. Heart valve surgery is so common these days as I said before. Not only that, but if it comes down to surgery, it sounds like you're in very good condition which will only make you heal that much faster. Don't let it get into your head like that though, many people have leaking valves for months or years before they need to do anything about it. I think my dad's was noticed a year or 2 before he went into surgery. He recalls right before they gave him the anesthesia the surgeon asking "are you nervous?" Naturally my Father replied "yes" the surgeon just said "I'm not" lol. He woke up after that and felt a hundred times better...even still in the hospital. Just control your anxiety about it. Watch some funny movies, tv shows, maybe read. The Bible says "a merry heart doeth good like a medicine, but a broken spirit dries the bones".

3. belltoller

Yeah, you're right, lol. Now that you mention it, I am getting a bit too keyed up about it. Good advise on all accounts.!

4. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Belltoller,

I'd like to say something wise and helpful, but it's not a subject that I know anything about. (In fairness, most subjects aren't ones that I know a great deal about, but I don't mind winging it. This one is a bit too serious for BS though.)

So I'd just like to wish you all the very best, and I hope that you get this sorted out.

Take good care of yourself.

5. Phantom Power

Phantom Power Valued Member

It' a strange world we live in, I don't know you from Adam and would walk past you in the street (well not if you actually look like your avatar!) but feel I know you through my lurking here and enjoying your sense of humour. All I can add are my bet wishes and to say take care mate. Modern medicine achieves wonders, stay positive.

6. belltoller

[​IMG]

I get that a bit...methinks they canna see too well and need to upgrade their spectacles :wow:

7. belltoller

Last evening I decided to go in to the boxing gym. I hadn't felt too good all day and thought I'd felt palpitations (skipping beats) throughout the day. I hadn't really wanted to go in but I didn't want my boys to see their da lie down every time there be a sticky-wicket ahead, so I popped an aspirin for good measure and went in anyway.

As luck would have it, the coach was putting the fighters though a conditioning phase. A good one at that. I managed to stay the whole hour and completed all of the circuits save for the last skip roping circuit - my feet just didna want to leave the ground, lol.

As it turned out, it was probably the most intense conditioning class I've been to to date. Though I was breathless by the end of it and I could barely get my legs up for the final push-kicks (coach had decided to throw some Muay Thai for added measure) I was glad that I made through the whole hour. My last two previous sessions had been 30min and even then they'd nearly done me in.

My heart rate never went above 165 max.

I climbed into the car knackered and head humming for the drive home. By the time I arrived home, I was beginning to feel that familiar warm energy/sense of well being ( you all know what I'm meaning here ) take hold which lasted until I went to bed. Had a very good nights sleep.

Last evenings session gave me a lot of confidence that I'm ready for whatever comes as a result of last Tuesdays test. Whether it be open-heart or micro or whatever. I'm ready and feel good about that.

Thanks again for all the well-wishes and advise!

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Whilst its good you have a can do attitude, doing intense cardio whilst waiting to hear about your potentially life ending heart problem isnt a very good idea. Your boys wont care about you being a wuss, they care about you being alive.

9. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

What he said! It would have been a whole lot different if you'd come out of there in an ambulance. Sometimes it's best to step back for a while, especially when it's your heart giving you gyp.

10. belltoller

I know. It war a calculated risk. I took aspirin as a blood thinner before I began and kept a good vital signs monitor nearby. Any pain or dizzyness I woulda stopped pronto.

I won't do that again till I'm cleared but it did so much for my feeling that I can get through any surgery or whatnot.

Ta

11. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Famous last words of dad before he collapsed first time - "I don't feel..." he didn't finish the sentence, and that was just sat down. The next thing he knew he had paramedics around him.

12. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

My dad had a heart attack recently. His left ventricle was completely blocked. Doing anything now remotely demanding wipes him out. But he didn't listen to the doctors. Told them he was going back to work. He ended up having a mini stroke.

So all I can really say is listen to your doctors. Ease off until you have a better idea of what you're dealing with. And then when you know what your options are. Go forward from there.

Best of luck dude.

13. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Belltoller, you really should listen to your doctors especially at this early date when you don't have to much info. There is a huge difference between going full pelt at a boxing conditioning session and doing nothing at all and you can find a happy medium between the two.
    Maybe you feel you don't want to "give up" your family doesn't need to see you collapse with a heart attack. My uncle had bypass surgery last year and is now back playing golf and working on maintaining the golf fields but it took some time. As someone who's mum had a minor stroke yesterday, I can assure you that your family doesn't need to go through that stress and worry.
    Take it easy for now, learn what you can and can't do and then work from there.

14. belltoller

Thanks all. I'll heed wise counsel :)

15. belltoller

I went in for my follow-up prepared for the worst. I really didn't want to go through open heart surgery, leaving my wife to deal with the kids, everything...but I felt physically ready after my last conditioning session at the boxing gym.

There is a mild leakage between the upper chamber and lower chamber of the heart - it doesn't look severe. My heart is also slightly enlarged. The doctor asked if I lifted weights alot - :confused: I didn't know it could cause that - but apparently its not anything to be concerned over.

He said I did well during the nuclear stress test and that my heart pumping was good. There is little or no coronary artery plaque buildup - which was the thing I was concerned with most - and to see me back in 6months for a followup and another nuclear stress test in two years.

He cleared me for boxing/MA conditioning and was confident that I was in good shape to do whatever.

I'm happy with that. :)

16. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Good to hear that things aren't as bad as you feared mate. I know it'll have put the frighteners on you at first but it's always best to find out about it and then get the ok from the guys that know than to not know and just drop.

As an aside, dad's had the lurgy lately and had a few small nosebleeds today. In what is probably a first for him, he used some common sense and went to get his bloods checked on the way home from work. No warfarin tonight and if he has any more bleeds then it's off to A&E for him and an early exit from work for me.

17. belltoller

Bless him, Anth. I hoped he managed all right. I take it the bleeding is from the blood thinners?

18. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Well I didn't have to come out of work early so he mustn't have had had any more bleeds. He's had the lurgy the last couple of weeks and been blowing his nose almost constantly so, on top of the warfarin, that will have inflamed the blood vessels in his nose and contributed, so will the stress from work (people don't realise that stress affects your blood too). He was due to get his bloods checked this morning so no doubt I'll hear more about it when he gets in from work.

19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

That's dr speak for "have you ever taken steriods"

Glad to hear its not too serious!

20. belltoller

LOL! Hadaway, Ha! I don't think so. That's like asking Dracula how often he hits the tanning beds every week.

If I hadn't been looking at a heart surgeon in his office, I woulda thought he was taking the **** out of me - picking on me - when he said that.

I don't know what prompted the question about lifting, it warn't from any observational evidence sitting in front of him, .

I suppose 'cause I told him I'd noticed the symptoms in boxing gym. Shoulda told him when boxer's shred - its the other fellow.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014