Bad form of fighting in black belt tests ?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by madhushanka, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

He can say what he wants, but that doesn't mean he is correct :p <-- not talking about you. I agree with your point.

I actually didn't read his post like how you did. I really didn't understand what the poster was trying to communicate.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  2. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

...You might've posted the wrong video then. :)

You're somewhat supposed to, just show control as you do it. Yahara sensei was always known for being a touch on the rough side but always within a controlled context (frankly largely rightly so in my opinion).

I also get the feeling the attack was preset but the choice of defence was unscripted which happens at a lot of gradings.

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Yup, that's definitely my experience too. I've posted a rather unflattering video before of some kumite from the end of my last grading and it's quite embarrassing to see yourself trying to fight when you'd rather be having a nap. Not quite the graceful but deadly martial artist you tell yourself you're going to be.

4. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Struggling to see the fighting in these videos. All I see is controlled sparring.

5. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Which sounds about right. :)

6. madhushanka

madhushanka New Member

I'm sorry about posting that video of Mikio Yahara sensei. But I'm not asking for an excuse for that girls 2nd Dan black belt test kumite... My sensei is 7th Dan in ****o ryu karate. He is Jun shihan Clement De Soyza. Sometimes you may know. My purpose isn't to insult someone. Because of I didn't tell their names that who were in first two videos. But Yahara sensei is famous, then everyone know him. Also I said sorry about yahara sensei.

A person asked me my level. Its not important in there. Students get black belters as examples to success their career. If black belters do something like DANCING for their 2nd Dan test, its an insult. I don't say karate is a martial art and all should be fighting. But in a higher grade like 2nd Dan they must take a risk. At least they can perform faster and stop the technique an inch apart from their training partner. I'm not saying them to beat others. If they can't get that risk, why do they hold that 2nd Dan ? Who gave them that ?

I know kihon and kata important. Must karate is not complete with kumite. If it was their maximum fighting skill, they will be beaten up in the street by a non martial artist. I think it's an insult for a 2nd Dan.

My post is not to offense you....

7. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

You think once you achieve a high sash level you never make a mistake?

Never fall down? I have watched professional UFC fighters throw a kick, get off balance and slip and fall down.

High level professional athletes in all sorts of sports still make mistakes and do things like fall- martial artists, figure skaters, various ball players...........

Of all the horrible quality MA video's I have seen, sorry these clips didn't seem worth picking on.

It's light or no contact sparring. For what it is, I fail to see the horror in these video's. Certainly not worth comparing to a five year old untrained kid fighting.

OP, go to Hannibal's profile page, look through some of his old threads where he posts some truly terrible MA stuff. Gads, there is one black sash test sparring video he posted that I am thinking of. But as I don't call out specific schools or styles myself I will let you find it. Or maybe he or another person here will post it.

8. madhushanka

madhushanka New Member

Yes. He is superb.

9. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

We are looking at the video blind though. We don't know the background of the participants, whether they have injuries etc.

It's very easy for an MAist to be beaten up 'in the street' by a non MAist.

The Dan grade tests are a measure of knowledge and spirit/determination/perseverence, not necessarily of fighting ability.

If there is any fault here, and I'm not saying there is, blame the organisation not those who are grading.

10. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Double post.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  11. David Harrison

The first video, I'm pretty sure was at least partly choreographed, so it just is what it is.

The guy who fell over, well... sometimes people fall over, it's not a big deal. He recovered well, which is the important thing.

But those two women sparring, representing their art at a black grade level. It was appalling. If I was to take a student's first session of sparring, and they left that session sparring like that, I would stop teaching out of shame. To think these two had years of training. I can't think of any excuse. Though I completely agree it is their instructors' fault, not theirs'.

It has nothing to do with speed or power, purely movement and technique.

12. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

loved that match!

13. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I agree...... but does the maist who just got that bb know the diffrence? I am willing to bet one of them thinks they are Awesome right now.
    That was not good sparring at all. I see injured perform better than that every day. If they put in the time and effort GREAT! But to reward them beyond their skill level is wrong. wasn't superfoot wallace injured?

14. John Titchen

To put that in context when I said 'injuries etc' I was referring more to medical conditions (physical and/or mental) that might inhibit them.

BB standards vary tremendously. I've seen people that I'd scrape through a 3rd Kyu pass be awarded Shodan. Nothing physically wrong with them, they've put in the time and they are trying hard, but they've not refined their technique to the level I'd expect. I've also met young and healthy 2nd and 3rd Dans (from a number of different associations) that I wouldn't have promoted beyond brown belt - they can fight aggressively but the technical refinement and depth of knowledge I'd expect isn't there.

I've also made mistakes and personally promoted people who had the knowledge level of a Shodan or Nidan but who did not have the maturity for the grade and whose technical ability was only skin deep and quickly disappeared without regular practice. That's the main reason why I've gone back to a 'time in grade' as well as 'hours trained' system. I now only promote students to adult Dan grade when they are over the age of 18 and I do not regard any Dan grades I awarded to students under that age as valid until the Shodan is retaken (after the age of 18).

15. John Titchen

I think everyone experiences euphoria and exhaustion at the end of a black belt test. Whether they realise they've passed on mental rather than physical criteria depends on the standards of the organisation and the Dan grades around them.

How important this is comes down to what a black belt is. It is often perceived as a pinnacle of achievement (generally by non black belts, non martial artists and younger students). All it is really is an indication that the person has trained enough to get their belt dirty and that mentally they should be ready to begin training properly. It is a recognition that you've covered the basics, nothing more.

16. David Harrison

Really? I always thought it was more that the student has mastered the techniques of the syllabus, to the point whereby physical correction is no longer necessary? That the student has the technical knowledge, and physical ability, to self-correct, understand conceptual lessons and apply them without being taught specific techniques to that end, and to explore principles and concepts with the confidence that the technical manifestation will not be sub-optimal.

Also, I would expect a BB to be able to apply intent to technique.

The two women in the video posted in this thread had neither technical competence nor an ounce of intent. I truly hope they've got a lot of ancillary benefit from their training, and that they never have to use their training for real. In terms of learning to fight, they have completely wasted however long it took them to get to that level.

Personally, I find it depressing to watch and feel genuinely sorry for them.

17. John Titchen

I'd say that's more 5th Dan level, hence the reason that a physical grading is not normally required and the rank (and those beyond) are generally honorific and for contribution to the art or organisation.

I've never met a Dan grade (including those ranked above 5th Dan) that didn't have techniques that could do with physical correction.

18. David Harrison

I see, thanks. I don't know much about Japanese grades, and it would appear that there is vast variation in standards.

As for physical correction, of course people can give insightful tips, or tweaks to improve something, but the BB should have enough awareness to self-correct. Or at least know when they are not doing something in an effective manner (then again, thinking about some videos I've seen...).