What was the last movie you watched ....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Guvnor, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Dracula Untold

Luke Evans stars in this origin story as Vlad, prince of Transylvania, who makes a deal with the first vampire (based on the Roman emperor Caligula, played by Charles Dance aka Tywin Lannister) to save his kingdom from the Ottoman Turks. I had been looking forward to the film for several months, and I enjoyed it. Luke Evans always puts in a good performance, and Charles Dance was excellent as always. The visuals were stunning (when are they not these days?), but the plot was a bit thin in places and some of the fight choreography would have made Michael Bay facepalm (and throw up from motion sickness). Solid film though, I'd give it 8/10.

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

"Balls of Fury"
    Saw it a few years back and laughed -- and I still laughed tonight. :D :p It's just so ridiculous, that it's funny! This trailer doesn't do the jokes justice, but it outlines the plot well enough.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0nxP-izD2U"]Balls of Fury - Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

3. itf-taekwondo

itf-taekwondo Banned Banned

Edge of Tommorow, starring Tom Cruise. Far better than your standard action picture in this day and age.

I give it 7.5/10

4. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Classic film from 1982! Fong Sai-yuk

5. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Get in - Another Shetox! We need to buy more dogs.

As it's October I've decided to rewatch a whole bunch of my favourite horror films and I'll be starting with the best:

[​IMG]

6. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Another Shetox!!!!! I demand parity lol I must ask the wife if she would like to go out this weekend for two days........without me.

Baza

7. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Finally got to watch the Hobbit 2 (Wife was out as not her cup of Earl Gray). Really disappointed with the abrupt ending as I really enjoyed the film. Guess I will have to wait for the next film in the series.....

8. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Dracula-Untold. it sucked as they really meant it was a untold plot

9. aikiMac

"Lone Survivor"

Recent movie with Marky Mark as a Navy Seal sent on a mission in Taliban country. The mission goes very, very poorly for the Seals, but I found it to be a very good movie. I was never in the military myself, but holy cow -- the way this movie was filmed I sure felt like I was in the gun battles! Wow, I was feeling fear and exhaustion and frustration as if I was cowering behind rocks and logs right there next Marky Mark!

It's a very depressing movie in a way, though. The Seals did the right thing (after heated discussion they decided to not kill civilian goat herders) and got shot for it. Except that, did they do the right thing? Maybe war itself is the wrong thing, and so just by being in those mountains on that mission they were wrong? :dunno: This could start an ethical discussion that would last an hour. It's a credit to the movie that I would care enough about the Seal characters and the nice villagers in that mountain to think about it.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  10. aikiMac

"Frozen Ground"

It has my two favorite actors, John Cusack and Nicholas Cage, so I *had* to watch it (and for bonus points it has the very pretty Vanessa Hudgens). Boy, was I disappointed!

There was nothing wrong with the acting. For one, Hudgens does an outstanding job playing a crack whore, and Cusack ... actually I think Cusack was the problem. He was too good at being PURE EVIL. The movie is incredibly disturbing because of (1) how it shows us the subject matter, which I totally was not expecting even though I read a plot summary, and (2) Cusack was PURE EVIL. I've seen plenty of bad guys in movies, Hannibal Lecter being at the top for eating human beings and borrowing their faces, but none of them compare to Cusack's character. He was PURE EVIL. (shiver!!!)

The movie is based on real events. The real-life person Cusack portrayed kidnapped, raped, and killed at least 17 women in Alaska. He was suspected of more murders plus additional rapes. The movie is about how the police (led by Nicholas Cage) finally caught him. Hudgens portrays his final victim, a prostitute who escaped while handcuffed, and thereafter grudgingly assisted the police in their investigation.

11. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Knowing with Nicholas Cage and Rose Byrne. Interesting, Apocalyptic film. There were a few, unanswered questions that would have helped with the storyline but, overall it was a fun, two hour ride.

12. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Hercules - I went into this expecting a Conan/Clash of the Titans/300 type movie and wasn't looking forward to this too much. I have always liked Hercules, and didn't think this movie would do it justice. But was very pleasantly surprised by this different take on Hercules and thought it was a well made action movie, cheesy in parts good action, funny. Highly entertaining 7/10

13. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

A Walk Among Tombstones. Good but a lot darker than what I was expecting.

14. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Caught V for Vendetta on Sky Movies the other week. Couldn't suss who plays the title character but the voice rang a bell somewhere then I checked it on IMDb - Hugo Weaving. Watched it again and I could definitely hear Agent Smith's speach patterns behind the mask so I was half expecting to hear "Mr Anderson!" at one point. Quite an enjoyable film.

One that I've had for a while but never been in the mood to watch and finally got round to last night was The Iceman with Michael Shannon as Richard Kuklinski. It might have been a better film if I hadn't seen Shannon in Boardwalk Empire - the characters are too similar and he doesn't seem to have the range as an actor for roles other than that in Boardwalk. I doubt I'll watch it again.

15. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

So bad.....but very much aimed to a children's audience.

-

Man on a ledge

Very good movie, starring Billy Elliot dude about a heist. Lots of twists, quite well done.

--

Safe House

Ryan Reynolds and Denzel Washington. Solid perfomances from both male leads, but struggled to pay attention. Wasn't exactly engaging.

--

16. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Into the storm. A bit predictable, but enjoyable take on the natural disaster genre.

17. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Was feeling very lazy last weekend and had a movie binge at the PS store:

"Live, Die, Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow" - I really enjoyed this, good sci-fi/action, not sure if it was meant to be funny, but I did laugh a lot. Well worth a watch!

"X-Men: Days of Future Past" - Was ok, usual X-Men type stuff.

"Godzilla" - Better than the last remake, but really just a load of CGI stuff, perhaps too much even, at one point I forgot what I was watching.

"A Million Ways to Die in the West" - Seth MacFarlane movie, was ok, but I cant really listen to this guy without constantly thinking about Family Guy/American Dad, so that was a bit distracting. Still, worth a watch.

18. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

HARSH!!! I really enjoyed reconnecting with one of my bygone favourites, and even found it to be, all be on a very basic level, fairly engaging - Now if you'll excuse me, I need to find someone to help tie my shoelaces! :turtle:

Kind Regards

Travess

19. aikiMac

I know, I do that, too! Even as an elf in "Lord of the Rings" he was Agent Smith to me! :bang: A couple years back I watched a movie wherein he's a blind guy who takes pictures for a hobby (yes, really, a blind photographer) and all I could hear was Agent Smith saying, "Miiiiister Anderson." :bang:

That said, he is fine actor. He owns his scenes.

20. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

That he does, and in V he has to because he can't use facial expressions. One of the best parts of the film is his intro monologue:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACUpr5GvVsE"]V for Vendetta - V's Introductory Monologue - YouTube[/ame]