Tokui waza, progress, syllabus, etc

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Smitfire, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

So...how is it best to progress in Judo?
    I'm new to it and it's all very exciting and baffling in equal measure.
    Everything is new and I can do virtually nothing.
    What should I be doing to progress?
    Just pick any throw and start to work it in randori to the exclusion of other throws? Actively look for a tokui waza?
    Not worry to much for now and wait for a tokui waza to become apparent to me naturally?
    Go through the syllabus (BJA in this case)?
    Try to develop a number of throws at once?

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Just work your way through the syllabus for the moment, but try to spot the throws that work well for people of your size. Your tokui waza is just the throw you are able to smash people with the most often - you don't really get to pick it.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Ah...I was under the impression it was a throw you'd "click" with as you are training, recognise you have a certain affinity with (for whatever reason) and so concentrate on and make it your own.

4. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Tokui often gets translated as favourite but I think speciality is more accurate - ties up with what holyheadjch said :)

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It kinda is. You might find there's one throw you can just do really well and you start to catch people with it. Then you'll start to make combinations into and from it a big part of your judo.

6. Bomber

Bomber Valued Member

Get good at ukemi and get experience of a variety of throws. It is however most important to master breaking the balance, movement and body management. Grasping the underlying principles of judo and developing good habits are most important in the early formative years. That said ultimately nearly all strong competitive dan grades are good at both uchi mata and seoi nage. They will also have reasonable ashi waza (leg techniques such a o-uchi gari, ko-uchi gari, de-ashi harai).