Vegetarians/Vegans - Animal fat necessity?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by inthespirit, Oct 22, 2014.

1. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Hey folks, was having a chat with the Mrs. about vegans and vegetarians who consume no animal products, or specifically no animal fat.

I have heard this many times before, though never checked myself till today (yet still none the wiser, hence this thread) - animal fat is essential for absorption of certain minerals/vitamins and that certain minerals/vitamins can only be gotten from animal sources. Is this true?

I have a hard time believing it as I know several vegetarians/vegans who consume little or no animal produce and seem to be pretty healthy and not exhibiting any signs of malnourishment.

Would much appreciate if someone could enlighten me on this topic and would also be interested in hearing how or with what vegetarians/vegans substitute the alleged necessity of "animal fat".

Cheers! :)

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Fat soluble doesn't have to mean animal fat.

Vegetarians and vegans can get adequate fat in their diet from things like sunflower seeds, corn and soya beans.

You also have things like walnuts, rapeseed or hempseed oil.

The fat soluble vitamins, particularly A and K can be obtained from plant food.

Vitamin D only occurs in a few foods, eggs being one such example, although the body can manufacture vitamin D from the sun.

Vegans can also obtain vitamin D from fortified foods

3. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Cheers Simon!

4. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

Not animal fat itself, the issue is complete vs incomplete proteins and lack of essential amino acids (this is according to vegan martial artist I know who is also a certified physical trainer).

The issue is that in most cases, vegans and vegetarians do not get enough of the ESSENTIAL amino acids most people get with their meats, e.g. Lysine.

However, those amino acids are not limited to the animal kingdom and can be found in various nuts, legumes, veggies etc. To get ALL of the essential amino acids required for health, a vegan/vegetarian has to make sure they eat foods that contain them. Most people who do not research properly, miss out on those essential acids and their health invariably suffers. Basically, by eliminating meat you still need to find alternate sources of specific proteins or you can get sick and weak.

There are a lot of reliable online sources for this stuff, ex). Note: I am not a vegan nor could I ever be a vegan, I am just passing off what I consider some unbiased factoids.

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/protein

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  5. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

:eek:

6. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Avacados are an excellent fat source of all good fats...very little saturated fat

7. Saved_in_Blood

How many here are vegans? I thought of cutting out meats...namely most red meats but keeping salmon and tilapi, snow crabs etc. My father in law also has his own chickens, so we get fresh totally natural eggs as well. I don't eat many eggs, but it's got to be better than all that hormone injected crap

8. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

I'm vegan. :)

9. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

I, too, am vegan. I'm not sure that there are many of us here on MAP, though.

10. Saved_in_Blood

I wouldn't go total vegan...right now I'm starting slow... I make a mixed berry with raw spinach smoothie with Greek yogurt and water or skim milk. No that's not vegan, but good source of antioxidants. I also make sure I eat half of an avocado a day. I try to eat it in a salad, but can't always do that.

11. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Bah! Only dirty hippies are vegan. (just kidding, of course! ;) :D )

12. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

I am neither dirty (save in the mind), nor am I a hippy. What I love most is being told that I eat 'rabbit food'. Gotta love living in Texas (at least for now)!:)

13. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

dormindo, Austin is pretty darn cool for veganism. That city is making a pretty loud statement for vegans and it's one of the most environmentally friendly and greenest cities too.

14. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

To each his own, man. :) :hat: MOAR meat for me! :D :evil: I love veggies and fruits too, though. :)

15. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

Humans have been eating meat since the beginning. It would be stupid of me to cut it from my diet unless i just could not stand the taste. I consider vegans similar to Christians... A little weeeird.

16. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

here come the trolls. I knew they would add their two cents sooner or later. ;)

17. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Yeah. I don't know why but when ever someone comes on a forum asking about veganism / vegetarianism the children have to start posting about how much meat they eat or how great bacon is. Pretty pathetic really. I have a lot of respect for vegans etc...and I eat meat.

18. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I was vegetarian for a number of years, don't think I could go full vegan I can't stand soy milk for a start. :D

19. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Almond is ok, not as a drink on its own though. I quit drinking milk about a year ago and messed around with substitutes, all disgusting stuff except almond and coconut.

20. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Bozza, I make my own. Two reasons. One, I don't like aseptic packaging. Two, it's darn easy to do. I have a soymilk maker but almond and coconut milk can be made in a blender and it takes just a few, quick minutes. Best of all, you can sweeten them as you like. I like natural sweeteners so sometimes I'll do maple syrup, light molasses, sorghum syrup (my favorite) or bee free honee (vegan apple syrup).