Is Hawaiian Kenpo And Chinese Kenpo the same thing

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Corrmaz, May 1, 2013.

1. Corrmaz

Corrmaz Valued Member

There is this guy George Lim who teaches Hawaiian Kenpo. Is this the same as William Chows Chinese Kenpo, because Lim's teacher trained under William Chow

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Kenpo is the Japanese word for Chinese martial arts. Most schools which identify themselves as Kenpo have their roots in Hawaii unless it identifies itself as Okinawan Kenpo.

3. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Not sure exactly what you are asking for other than the answer Sifu Ben gave.

On the other hand, if you go back forty to fifty years, the CHA-3 Kenpo Karate training was very intensive. You could find bare-fisted, hard style and heavy contact. Black belts would be knocking out white belts in class. My instructor trained in CHA-3 back then. Most people would not make it 17 seconds in that kind of training.

So is what is taught today the same as what was taught back then... NO! However, people maybe train smarter today. What you might find today is some of the same core training as fifty years ago, much of the same types of techniques and forms... but instead of the intense physical pounding, the interactions today might take on more of an MMA type format.

You will see some of the differences between the old and the new with ground attack. Old school CHA-3 (as would Kajukenbo) would have a lot of ground and pound that targets joints, vitals, and pressure points... compared to what is taught more today for ground and pound, which includes more grappling and is more like Vale Tudo. Just people adapting more to the times.

As for Grandmaster George Lim and Professor Patrice, from what I can tell from meeting them, great teachers and good people.

4. Corrmaz

Corrmaz Valued Member

So Hawaiian Kenpo is just what William Chow taught?

5. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

Have yall heard of Southeasten Kenpo Karate JuJitsu. I think its from Hawaii.
    Here is the lineage from their website. I don't really understand the lineage page.
    http://sekenpo.com/gray1_2014_02_031.htm

6. Corrmaz

Corrmaz Valued Member

Seems like standard Kenpo. William Chow style maybe with some Kaju incorporated into it. Of course don't take that as a hardcore fact.

7. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Sijo Emperado was a 5th dan in Chow's Kenpo before Kajukenbo was developed back in the time frame of 1947-1950. So to answer your question, Kajukenbo has some of Chow's system in it when you are looking at the original Kajukenbo subsystem of kenpo.. There are 4 subsections of Kaju, but they all developed off of the original kenpo and chuan fa out of hawaii by the kajukenbo groups of the time

8. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

So, the Cha-3 is pretty powerful? I ask because there's a Kajukenbo school that I still need to get out to in Henderson to check out that offered CHA-3 Kenpo and Kajukenbo. It's called Ohana Kenpo in Henderson. I went to the CHA-3 website but couldn't get a feel for how this system is different from Japanese Kenpo. What am I missing?

9. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

What's Japanese Kenpo? It's not a term widely used in JMA except for the specific style Shorinji Kempo. It's used somewhat in Okinawan martial arts to describe arts of Chinese origin that don't necessarily identify as Karate, but it's uncommon to see them in the West. Like I said, the overwhelming majority of schools that identify themselves as Kenpo will be of Hawaiian origins.

10. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Sorry Ben, I should has said Shorinji. My bad.