Fu Jow Pai and Hung Gar

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by furinkazan, Aug 30, 2014.

1. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

I may be wrong, but I've been reading that Fu Jow Pai is derived from the techniques of Hung Gar. Is this true and are there any significant differences that set these styles aside?

Are there other styles derived from Hung Gar?

Also while I am on the subject for comparative purposes, are there any books for reference on Fu Jow Pai (or other styles, such as leopard and dragon).

2. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Grand Master Wei Hong's teacher was a Hung Gar student who was thrown out of the system by his master so he changed the forms around and began calling it Fu Jow Pai. It's essentially the same in technique.

3. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

Ah, so how about other animal styles like leopard etc?

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Yet very different in character.
    According to Fu Jow Pai's official history it's a fusion of pre and post Wong Fei Hung Hung Gar, Hark Fu Mun and Mizhong.

5. Ben Gash CLF

A) There are several tiger systems aside from Fu jow pai.
    B) Leopard is fairly rare, as is snake.

6. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

my knowledge of animal styles is not wonderful (since Im mostly a japanese martial arts guy) I hear of these five traditional animal styles, but recently found out it's used in a lot of southern styles, I'm wondering if there's significant differences between one version of tiger/leopard and and another styles interpretation of that animal. Do I take it as similar concepts applied to a different systems ideology, or are there some quite different tiger styles across the board?

7. Ben Gash CLF

There are massive differences between tiger systems.

8. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

any particular ones you can give me? I'm curious now.

9. 19thlohan

What about them?

10. 19thlohan

This question covers a wide range of styles. Some are very similar and some are completely different. Some like Hung gar and Choy Li Fut come from the same root. They look extremely different to the untrained eye yet they have many of the same techniques but still emphasize different aspects of the original system with CLF emphasizing speed and footwork and while HG emphasizes power and root. Both contain techniques from all 5 animals but HG strongly emphasizes tiger and crane while CLF tends to use all 5 about equally.

11. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Hung Fut is a hybrid of Hung Gar and Fut Gar (Buddhist Palm).

12. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

any books on Fu Jow that are worth a read? Not just technique applications, but things like it's history as well?

Also, anything on leopard, eagle etc if you have anything you think is particularly informative

13. Ben Gash CLF