Some Good Questions...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kevin W Collins, May 26, 2015.

1. Kevin W Collins

Kevin W Collins Valued Member

What are some good questions that will help me find the best martial art for me?

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Why do I want to do martial arts? (Self Defense? Health? Tradition and Culture? Sport/ competing?)

Am I more drawn to a grappling or a striking art? Do I want both or I don't have a preference?

Do I want to do an art that has kata/ forms or not?

Is working with weapons something I want? Only practical weapons that are tied to the modern era? Or do I wan't to use swords, spears, Pole arm type weapons that aren't necessarily directly something I would use outside a MA school?

What schools are close enough that I am willing to make the commitment to get to them regularly? How far am I willing to travel? (Finding the art you want, that doesn't have a school within hundreds of miles does you no good.)

Do I have any health issues that may make some arts harder to do? (Note: a good school will find ways to work around health issues, but some things may be more difficult to deal with.)

That is a start.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Does the class have hot babes?

4. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Do you teach Amerido-te? Can you tell me where to find someone who teaches Amerido-te?

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Paypal me a super discounted one-off fee of £199.95 and I will not only teach you Ameri-Do-Te (by sending you a badly put-together PDF), I will promote you to 17th Degree Silver Snake Grandmaster.

6. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

That is so much less than Ashida Kim was going to charge me, he wasn't even going to send me a pdf, cheapskate.

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

We keep costs low by getting all our black belt embroidery done in our sweatshop in Manila. We're all about that fair trade stuff.

8. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

There should be nothing fair about Amerido-Te, you see your opponent, you identify his groin, you attack with extreme prejudice, fairness, much like fair trade, is for the weak.

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I love MAP :D

Mitch

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Ameri-Do-Te has perfected the illusion of being fair, to subdue the enemy into a false sense of security.

But I like your style, son.

And because of that, I will give you a super-super discounted limited time offer, to learn the art of re-stomping the groin. Only three easy payments of $99.95.

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

MAP is a cruel, cold-hearted mistress who will destroy your groin the moment you lower your guard.

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think you have to raise your guard to expose the groin.

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Unless you do BJJ, then MAP has always been in your guard without you knowing it. And it's right where she wants to be... so she can destroy your groin.

14. Kevin W Collins

Uh oh...

Now this is something. We went from me asking for some good questions to talkin about the groin.

If only Ameri-Do-Te and Dante were authentic, then I might consider that they should be included in my list of possible style to learn.

15. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Nothing beats a kick to the groin.

16. Kevin W Collins

LOL...

I heard some say it tickles but IMHO while it may hurt it does tick me off to get kicked in the groin.

17. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

is this for you? or some hypothetical first-timer?

18. Kevin W Collins

Honestly...both

19. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I think the questions you should be asking are some realistic questions for yourself (do you want to feel like a bad dude, or do you want to learn how to fight?), some logistical questions (how far are you willing to drive on a tri-weekly basis? how much can you pay?) and last what do you actually want to be doing? Not who do you want to be, what do you want to do.

The thing about martial arts is that it's a slow pursuit. Whatever art you choose you'll be doing hours of it. So where are you happiest? Grappling? Try BJJ. Striking? Boxing or Muay Thai. Sick forms? Wu Shu.

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Did I say we take Paypal?