Knee pads

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by SteveP, May 27, 2015.

1. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

I have an old knee injury from childhood which has left a lump on my knee just below my kneecap. It's fine and no problems since but since starting BJJ I've noticed it's a bit swollen and a bit painful/stiff. I think this is from dropping down on the knee and the lump essentially being a bit of a pressure point. Anyone wear knee pads, is it the done thing? If so, can you recommend any slim ones with a bit of padding just below the kneecap? I don't want anything too bulky.

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Find yourself some neoprene knee brace that has a hole in the middle. The hole is for the patella and has a ring of extra cushioning around it.

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i've used cliff keen reversible lycra kneepads and shock wave elastic cloth kneepads. both worked fine for me and seemingly had padding where you want.

4. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

Cool thanks guys. I'll look 'em up.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

6. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Volleyball pads are pretty good. There well padded, cheap, and you can buy slim fit ones too.

8. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

Cool! Found out tonight that I'm dropping on my knee a bit heavily due to technique (or lack of) so I've got something to work on there too but pads will definitely help.

9. Jointlock

Jointlock Valued Member

I have 2 sets of Brute Torque Knee Pads and don't do BJJ without them. Had a meniscus tear and surgery a few years back and no problems. $15 a piece on Amazon.