Some Good Questions...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kevin W Collins, May 26, 2015.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I don't know what you're asking. But if you're asking "would it then be advisable to learn by book or video?" I'd say no. As others have said, there's generally SOMETHING nearby.

As far as an instructor being reluctant, this isn't the movies. Generally, instructors are either businessmen or enthusiasts. Either one generally has a strong motivation to take on new interested parties.

2. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Although a punch to the eye comes in a strong second.

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

so knowing what you know now, what questions would you ask?

you've mentioned some places nearby. have you done any test classes yet? and if so, what was your impression?

4. Kevin W Collins

Kevin W Collins Valued Member

Haven't visited any local dojo's or training groups as of yet but I am preparing to do that...(fixed income)

I do want to know where a good place is to track my search progress because whatever style I go with

I know people here are interested in seeing my progress in growing.

5. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I understand the fixed income bit. Chances are, you explain that to a coach, and they'll work with you.

6. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

for me, if i could go back, i would take more test classes in a variety of arts before spending money and time on what i started with. not to say i didn't learn a lot doing arts that i don't do anymore. sometimes it takes doing the wrong thing for awhile to make the right thing stick, at least for me it did. part of the reason was that i had limited options when i started and other places were more convenient for me to get to.

the only advice i would give you is: train, there's no substitute; and, try to find a no-contract situation as it will make it easier to switch if/when you decide to switch.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You could start a training journal here at MAP. But, you know, train.

8. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

What martial art is good for you?

The one that is the closest and within your budget.

Even if it maybe something not quite right...like NIKE-"Just Do It"...and go from there.

You can always return here and post the art, the instructor, and discuss

9. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

What is located close enough to you that you can train there reliably and frequently?

Go to those school(s) and see if you can watch a few lessons, or better yet, train for a week or so as a trial.

Figure out what it is you want, e.g. reality-based self defense, competitive sparring, weapons, fitness, etc and think about how each of the schools fit.

Add in the cost and ease of schedule. Think about how you relate to the instructor and other students there and then make a decision.

-What schools are close enough to attend?

10. 47MartialMan

I was thinking other provocative groin situations :evil:

Kick To The Groin...wasn't that a "special martial art"?

11. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

I would say that nails it. We see the ole' which martial art is right for me question all the time, in the end it really does depend on what's within your range financially and geographically. The next question you could ask yourself might be along the lines of what diet and exorcize plan is right for me, those two things give you a lot more options than where you take karate/m.a. from.

12. 47MartialMan

13. Kevin W Collins

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Kevin, if that post was designed just to bump your post up, please don't do that. Add something substantive or let it die naturally.

15. Kevin W Collins

No it wasn't to bump up...

I had posted but then after reading what I had posted the content didnt seem to carry quite the idea I wanted to convey and when I was preparing what I wanted to say...other responsibilities took my attention away from my comp and the time allowed for editing had ran out...

The lesson has been learned about that.