Thought of the Day

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Ero-Sennin, Nov 27, 2012.

1. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

LOL :D I love how people get their egos so wrapped up in nationalism. Patently absurd, but y'all are definitely funny!

2. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

The British accent is a lot like the American variety, but it sounds like a British speaker is perpetually drunk. Ditto for the Australian accent. :D

3. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

The Australian accent is really just the Cockney accent that's been forced to slow down because of intense heat, if you think i am kidding you need to seriously try it for yourself.

4. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I found that in the USA, people kept thinking that we were Australian, which was deeply offensive. Didn't happen so much in places like Boston where you can't go anywhere without hearing English accents, but out in the sticks they only seem to recognise two English accents: posh and cockney. Anything else and they assume you're an Aussie.

5. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

They are probably the two most common types of accent in American cinema, as i can't think of a major actor who's got a regional accent who has made it big over there.

But if you think it's bad try going over there as a Maori, once I've established i'm not Mexican, Indian or Arab, they go with Polynesian and start asking me why i don't weigh 300 pounds.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

At least when I go to rural America, people recognise that I'm English by my accent. :p

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Half the cast of Game of Thrones?

Do you have tattoos covering your face?

8. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Haven't seen it, couldn't comment, wouldn't know the name of anyone in it.

Nah mate, mum's a half caste and dad's family is way too muddled up for me to have one with even a drop of conviction.

9. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'm sure the red coat, the tricorn hat and the monocle all help too! :D

10. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Do people really use the term 'half caste' in NZ? Over here it's considered completely unacceptable nowadays. People prefer the term 'mixed race'. (Although personally I don't like it, as it implies that there exist 'non-mixed races', which is complete nonsense.)

11. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

That and the superior attitude, not to mention the near constant mumbling about burning Washington DC down a second time in the hope he gets his name read out in the new years honours.

12. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

It's common as far as i can tell, and i can't really recall it being used offensively, but i can't really say based on experience, i'm too dark to be called it.

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Can't be helped when you're from the Greatest Country on Earth. :cool:

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

False.

The British accent makes the speaker sound like he or she actually finished high school.

The American accent makes the speaker sound like he or she married their first cousin.

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Just doing my bit to spread Imperial fashion through the outer colonies and beyond.

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I have to put my wit aside and congratulate you on making me LOL out loud for the last two-and-a-half minutes. :D

17. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Soo . . . . . when is the good wit coming along? I'm getting pretty bored waiting around. Do I need to start dropping patriotism like American Freedom to inspire?

18. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Sleep is waaaay more important than training

19. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

"Old West Action" is an anagram for "Clint Eastwood."

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Want to hear a joke?

America.