Knife Fighting and Knife Defense

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Hazmatac, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Anyone have anything useful they can share in regards to knife fighting, knife defense, tactics and strategy?

By the way, knife fighting is knife dueling, whereas knife defense is where you are unarmed and are facing a person who has a knife.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Not sure your definitions are universal, but that's fine. There are hundreds of teachers who specialize in knife. I spent much of Saturday getting instruction in knife at a local FMA seminar, for instance. Why do you ask?

3. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Good point, FMA. I ask mainly for self defense purposes, but there are also fringe benefits which would hopefully come to be if/as I get more advanced with a knife (like faster reflexes, and seeming more macho to girls :p )

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

go look at the other knife thread that is currently active, where much relevant information has been posted :p

5. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Thanks Fish of Doom, didn't know there was one, missed it in my scan

EDIT: In weapons?

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

my bad, i misremembered the title as "knife defense" because it deviated into knives about two pages in, sorry :)

but yeah, there's been some pretty good stuff posted in the middle pages of the thread, so it's worth a read

8. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Cool. Thanks guys :)

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Chicks don't dig scars. Don't do it!

10. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

I pulled out my knife the other night while we were TPing incase this raccoon was following us, at which point one of my friends that is a girl said, "You carry a knife?" Me: "Yeah, just in case." her: "I feel unsafe." It goes on into me having to assure her that I'm not a trained professional but I'm competent enough to use it properly. (it was more of a joke between us but you get the point ;) )

Moral of the story, girls may feel unsafe when you pull out a knife. even with good reason.

11. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

You need to find skankier women.

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That's exactly the sort of macho that sends most women I know running full tilt in the opposite direction. Sorry mate.

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Often the girls most interested in fighters are trouble anyway.

14. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

I never mention my boxing to the ladies at first. I don't tell anyone about any martial arts I do unless it comes up in conversation. Especially people Ive just met.

15. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

Back to knives.. For me, I never pull out a weapon unless I am going to use it.
    Some people pull out a weapon and show u and warn you and don't really wana stab you, but will do if pushed. - these people are easier to get away from if by your self.

16. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

I agree, you shouldn't really pull out a weapon to flaunt it, only pull it out if you feel you may need it out quickly.

In my scenario, this racoon was following us and some of my teammates got scared, we didn't really know what to do with it, nor did we know if it was agressive or not (it was late at night, an appropriate time for TPing, ... like maybe 3 in the morning?) so I pulled my knife, it was closed though (its a pocket knife with a lock so its not a switch, HAH, I read the laws :p )

Also martial arts isn't something you talk about first thing, might just sound like chest thumping or tooting your own horn to some of the more clever ones. If it gets to the subject, it gets to it, but don't put it right on the table.

17. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Thx for the replies. It's interesting that you all disagree, but we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Interesting story Bobby, yeah, I think one of the key things if you have a knife is that she trusts you, and she knows the kinda person you are (that you will only use the knife to protect you and her, etc.).

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  18. ned

ned Valued Member

What happens when the nasty junkie/mugger takes the knife from you ? - it's a liability to you both then.

19. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

True.

What happens when in the heat of a situation you escalate a situation because you are carrying and either get shot/knifed by the counter escalation or face criminal charges (if you survive)?

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

If there's one thing girls love it's a man with a knife. They'll literally do almost anything for him.

Jebus Christos.