Slothosaurus Training Log!

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by LemonSloth, Aug 28, 2013.

1. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

13/07/14:

Player sends out Bored Potato!

Wait, what?!

Gym time:

Ab wheel @ 5 x 5

Barbell Shrugs:
    Strap-less:
    w/ bar @ 1 x 10
    w/ 40kg @ 1 x 10
    w/ 60kg 1 x 10
    w/ 80kg @ 1 x 10
    w/ 100kg @ 1 x 5
    With straps:
    w/ 100kg @ 1 x 10
    w/ 100kg @ 4 x 5

Dumbbell rows:
    w/ 30kg @ 1 x 10
    w/ 35kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 40kg @ 3 x 5

RDL:
    w/ 60kg @ 1 x 10
    w/ 70kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 80kg @ 1 x 7

BTN press:
    w/ bar @ 1 x 10
    w/ 25kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 30kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 35kg @ 1 x 5

Also some farmers walks and curls in the squat rack 'cos Liara T'soni is blue, that's why!

...Aaaaaaaaaannnd got bored and went home. Been feeling progressively more bored with the gym this past month and a half or so and today it just hit me really hard. Physically I felt fine, the weights were fine, no injuries to speak of or anything. Slightly awkward pelvic pain I've had from sitting badly all day but that's about it.

But I just couldn't stand to be in there any longer. I'd got the 50kg dumbbell set up, racked the bar for a 40kg press and a 90kg deadlift for reps on both and sat there and went "Can I even be bothered to try and pick it up?". Of course, if you have to ask a question like that, you know the answer.

Gonna stick it out a little longer as it might just be I'm on a mental downer (I get them occasionally) which is making me a negative nelly. But if I don't start feeling better by next month I'm going to have to start to look at setting up my own home gym with very limited space and cancelling my membership.

Oh yeah, stretches too.

2. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

curls in the squat rack...attrocious gym manners hath the sloth! :p

3. LemonSloth

Gotta be done :)

=====

14/07/14:

Kigu Undo:
    OHP w/ 45kg barbell @ 5 x 10
    Pendlay Rows w/ 45kg barbell @ 3 x 5
    CoC gripper @ 1 x 5 (per hand)
    Makiage Kigu (Wrist Roller) w/ 7kg @ 1 x 5
    Generic press ups, lost count.

Kickboxing stuff:
    Continuous kicking and punching practice while watching TV, so I have no actual idea how long I did it for or anything like that.

Rest day. Haven't had much sleep lately so I'm feeling a bit fatigued. But I didn't want to have a complete rest so I just did some light bits and bobs.

4. LemonSloth

15/07/14:

Sloth used Mach Punch! Critical Hit! It's super effective! The enemy Bored Potato faints! Sloth earned 1XP!

Hojo Undo:
    Pendlay rows w/ 45kg barbell @ 3 x 10
    Back squats w/ 45kg barbell @ 2 x 10

CoC #1 @ 1 x 3 close attempts (my grip strength has slacked off a bit recently).

Light press ups, short planking and light ab wheel reppage as well.

Trying to get into the habit of doing some basic barbell lifts most days of the week and getting them out of the way early so I can spend more time in the evening with the wifey. Slowly and gradually I'll increase the weight, intensity and volume to more respectable levels.

The barbell routine is going to end up with 5 sets of the above exercises, but is done as OHP straight into back squat straight into pendlay rows and then rest to save time.

But I'm really enjoying the home lifting stuff like this, especially as I can potter off and fold laundry and what-not while resting.

Kickboxing stuff:
    5 x 2 minutes shadow sparring w/ free standing kick bag.

Have to keep it light contact so I don't knock it over. My kicks are starting to get pretty snappy and fast again which is nice. Going to start increasing the rounds of shadow sparring soon to x 6/ x 12 soon though, just to push my cardio a bit more.

Very much looking forward to getting someone to help my hang one of my kick bags up soon(ish) though so I can do this with harder contact.

Kata stuff:
    Kihon dosa in left & right posture x 5
    Sanchin kata x 1 (to close).

Gentle stretches.

5. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Mate, if it's not for you, then it's not for you :)

If you can get the same (or better) effect from a home setup, or using 'less conventional' methods of becoming stronger (chi ishi, grippers, hammer, tyres etc) combined with some home weights, then that's an awesome thing to discover!

6. LemonSloth

It might not be actually. Like I said, I'm gonna stick it out a bit more, see if I'm being a negative nelly and all that. But you never know.

Lol, that's what I'm trying to push for at home but the wife is resisting. Apparently "we don't have the room". My view is that if she is going to bother having needless necessities like clothes and so forth then that's not my problem :p

=====

16/07/14:

Did you hear about the fish that tried to run a marathon? Apparently he took last plaice!

Kigu Undo:
    Back squats w/ 45kg barbell @ 3 x 10

Light generic work with CoC gripper, ab wheel, press ups and planking to finish.

Weighted Walk:
    2 miles, +25kg.

Also did the same yesterday but forgot to add it. The town's finally finished its' Fair Week where all the drunk morons come strolling out so I can start wearing my weighted backpack again :).

1.5 miles, no extra weight.

Technique work:
    Nice and light. Couple of hundred kicks, working on placement more than anything else. Then a few run throughs of the kihon dosa w/ bokken in right posture only.

Gentle stretches.

That's it. Had a bit more sleep the last couple of nights so I'm feeling pretty good, but I've also had takeaway tonight so I really don't have the energy to get up and do much :p.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  7. LemonSloth

17/07/14:

Did you hear about the guy who tried to teach a school of fish to sing? Apparently he couldn't get them all in tuna.

Kigu Undo:
    Back squats w/ 45kg barbell @ 3 x 10
    CoC #1 full squeezes @ 1 x 3
    Light ab wheel, planking and press ups.

Come next week I'll probably stick with the same weights and what not but just increase the volume all round.

Kickboxing stuff:
    6 x 2 minutes shadow sparring, 1 minute rest.
    6 x 2 minutes bob & weave, 1 minute rest.

Bloomin' great thunder & lightning storm with the rain made it ridiculously hard to keep a steady footing so I had to take the tempo down with the sparring. Emphasis was much more on trying to keep my guard up and head movement than the kicks.

Gentle stretches x 2.

Gonna give the kicking practice a rest after tomorrow for a couple of days because my right hip flexor is starting to grumble.

8. LemonSloth

18/07/14:

Did you hear about the scuba diving comedian who held a gig under water? He was told to seel it!

Swimming:
    1k.

450 metres speedy(ish) breath stroke.
    50 metres front crawl.
    100 metres slow breath stroke.
    400 metres alternating front crawl/breath stroke.

My front crawl sucks, which is why I'm starting to work at it more.

Gentle stretches.

That's it. I would make some excuse about careful planning and looking after my body. But truthfully, the swimming pooped me out and we need to tidy up for my daughter's birthday tomorrow.

9. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

My first swimming sessions after a long time not swimming always do me in :D

How's your crawl technique and what breathing rhythm are you using?
    Likewise with beast stroke - head under the water with the kick?

10. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Guys?

[​IMG]

11. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

I suppose that these must be variations of breast stroke, but I can't imagine what they might look like :p

12. LemonSloth

Cor, tell me about it! I got out of the pool and the muscles round my shoulder blades felt like they were on fire! :eek:

My crawl technique is pretty crap but I'm trying to work at it. I tend to come up for air on the 4th stroke each time at the moment to ease myself back into the idea of it all. I used to come up for air on the 7th or 8th stroke but then I was swimming a few times a week doing that.

Depends on my mood. Sometimes I'm a little lazier than I should be. :p

No need to be koi, you're having a whale of a time aren't you?

:D

Lol, I wasn't sure if breast would be covered by the MAP filters or not. I'm intrigued by Harry's version though :p.

13. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Ha! Perils of Android swype typing!

As for crawl breathing rhythm, I tend to go for every 3 so you alternate sides (breathe right, RH, LH, RH, breathe left, LH, RH, LH etc)

14. LemonSloth

I might try going with 5 again for that reason (with 3s, I tend to over breathe and tire myself out more) actually. I did notice yesterday I kept looking at the same bit of wall - should have been a clue :p

=====

Did you hear about the agnostic philosophical whale? He couldn't find his porpoise in life.

:D

19/07/14:

Kigu Undo:
    Back squat w/ 45kg barbell @ 3 x 10
    CoC #1 @ 1 x 3 per hand (full closes at least).
    Light ab wheel, press ups and planking.

Might try front squats next week instead on one set, see how I feel. I was pooped out from swimming yesterday enough that I had to do a couple of push presses on my last set :eek:. In the next week or two I'm going to up the weight and lower the volume and start again slowly raising the volume at 50kg.

Gentle stretches.

Kickboxing stuff:
    24 minutes continuous. 1 minute left leg forward technique work, 1 minute right foot forward technique work, 1 minute shadow boxing, 1 minute shadow kicking. Rinse and repeat x 6.

Feeling quite good. Actually paused after the 12 minute mark to give myself a short rest, then realised I didn't actually need it (though I was tired) and went through to the full 24 minutes.

Also, I AM A GENIUS!!! :D

No really, I'm not.

Decided to permanently make the big tractor tyre heavier by shoving the smaller one into it. Took me about 10 minutes of sitting on it, jumping on it and flipping it but it went in. The problem then was the small one rolled around too much and was likely to fall out if I wasn't careful. Thankfully I had a random moment of actually using my brain! I found a car tyre I was going to use to make a new makiwara with that I hadn't gotten round to using, so I also shoved that in there to act as a cushion and keep the small tractor tyre in the big one. The big one is now about 35kg (roughly) heavier than it was before and actually made me put some effort into flipping it.

I am a very pleased sloth. :)

Thinking tomorrow rather than going to the gym I might do a burden run/circuit monstrosity instead during the day and see how I feel about doing them more often.

15. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Bloody brilliant,Sloth. :cool: But...who in sam hell goes to the gym on Sunday? :eek: Even workaholics like yours truly need a day off to avoid burnout. :Angel:

16. LemonSloth

It's not too bad actually. Sunday is usually my day to go to the gym so I can lift without other people gawking or bothering me and then I usually rest on the monday.

But I've found this past week so far I haven't needed to have a total rest day actually, which is nice. And the intensity is pretty high.

==========

Did you hear about the clownfish who lost his job in the aquatic circus? He lied about his CV.

:p

Kigu Undo:
    Big tyre flips into sledgehammer swings.

4 min & 1 min x 6 (no rests).

Gentle stretches.

With the extra weight the big tyre took a huge amount of energy out of me. I had planned for more but my youngest spent most of last night sleep screaming again 'cos he's teething, so I got very little sleep and am thus pooped.

17. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Tyre flips and hammer swings for 30 minutes with no rest? That's some seriously sustained "hulk smash" training! Nice going!

18. LemonSloth

Cheers buddy. :)

I did find that my 5th round of tyre flipping was just ghastly though so I might have to consider a short pause after the 3rd or 4th round of sledge hammering in the future or something similar to make sure the intensity doesn't slip.

It was good fun though.

=====

21/07/14:

Some litmus paper walked into a bar one night. The bartender says "Hey, why so blue?".

Kigu Undo:
    OHP w/ 45kg barbell @ 4 x 10
    w/ 50kg barbell @ 1 x 4
    Back squats w/ 45kg barbell @ 4 x 10
    w/ 50kg barbell @ 1 x 4
    Pendlay rows w/ 45kg barbell @ 4 x 10
    w/ 50kg barbell @ 1 x 4
    CoC #1 @ 1 x 4

I'm pretty sure I might have actually done 5 sets @ 45kg rather than 4 but I lost count so I'm assuming I did the lower volume of the two. Starting the slow progress of upping all the reps and sets to a base 50kg cold. Part of my plan to slowly try and get some more reasonable numbers.

Light ab wheel, planking & press ups. Increased volume on all of them but still tiny amounts.

Gentle stretches.

Aikido stuff:
    20 minutes just drilling foot work from the kihon dosa. I'm a little bit too stop/start which is making my movement a bit jerky.

19. LemonSloth

22/07/14:

Oxygen and magnesium went on a date?! OMg!

Kigu Undo:
    OHP w/ 45kg barbell @ 4 x 10
    w/ 50kg barbell @ 1 x 4
    Back squats w/ 45kg barbell @ 4 x 10
    w/ 50kg barbell @ 1 x 4
    Pendlay rows w/ 45kg barbell @ 4 x 10
    w/ 50kg barbell @ 1 x 4
    CoC #1 @ 1 x 4

Light planking, ab wheels and press ups to finish.

Weighted walks:
    1.5 miles, +20kg.

Kickboxing stuff:
    1 minute shadow sparring, 2 minutes bob & weave. Repeat x 12. No rests whenever possible.

Ok, I lie a little. After the 5th round of bob & weave I had to take off an ankle support so I could move freely. Turns out the ankle support was actually causing my ankle to cramp up. So I went the rest of the time without the support and it felt fine. Which I feel pretty happy about. Oh, and a 25 second pause after the 9th round to mop myself up and have a quick drink of water. Cardio is definitely improving.

Gentle stretches.

Hoping to be back at kickboxing very soon after almost a full two months of not being able to go *excited squeal*.

20. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Just reading that makes me fill a little ill. Nice cardio.