DMA Check In

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by WhiteWizard, Dec 23, 2003.

1. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

Hi,

I think its a good idea if we all introduce ourselves so i'll take the plunge first :).

Name
    Andrew Melrose

Style
    Lau Gar Kung Fu

About Me
    I have been practacing Lau Gar for the past nine months. I am partially sighted. I haven't found this to be a major problem although i find some things quite difficult.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2003
  2. Cain

Cain New Member

Name

errrrr.....Cain ;)

Style

Shotokan

About me

Nuthead who goes crazy over computer games, reads books a bit, swims a bit, plays badminton a bit, practising my style for about 3 years and a month, My hands are a bit deformed since birth I have explained a bit about it here

|Cain|

Last edited: Dec 24, 2003
  3. Noob

Noob Valued Member

Name
    Noob (I prefer to hide behind the banner of internet anonimity)

Style
    Wing Chun

About Me
    Recovering from Agoraphobia and resulting Depression getting over it. Not looking for any sympathy. Bit of an idiot at times, only been doing Wing Chun for about two months so newcomer to MA. Likes Video Games, Films, Reading, also have strange desire to be an actor...(sometimes feels like I'm a contradiction in terms).

4. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Name
    Ian Woolley

Style
    Uhhhhhhh I used to do SCA Shinai but well I still so it only its not SCA anymore. Been doing for 3 years

About Me

Well my eyes are so bad that I got rejected from two branches on the military. LOL But being extremely near sighted really isnt too terribly bad except when I get eyestrain headaches and the fact that I have less peripheral vision out of my right eye.
    And I like swords and knives and anythign sharp and pointy.

5. cripplefujitsu

cripplefujitsu New Member

Who am I?

Name's Paul

What's my major malfunction?

I have moderate to severe fool quadriplegic cerebral palsy, a seizure disorder, a massive SCI and, oh yeah, I'm blind!

What arts I train in: Samurai aikijitsu (including emptyhand and bo, jo, kaebo, tanto) in the style of Obata-san, and I'm dabbling in shinkendo.

What else I do for fun: Comic books, Magic: the Gathering, computer programming and sytems analysis, rock concerts, college, a wholesaling business, and bellydancing redheads named Liz when I get the chance. Oh, and I play a mean harmonica; used to be kazoo but I felt underappreciated.

Ian Woolley, you rock! And what doesn't cripple or maim you is also good for a laugh....hell, sometimes the stuff that cripples and maims you stil is........

6. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Thanks man I coined the phrase because my mom kept saying what doesnt kill only makes yous you stronger and it was so anoying to hear over and over again so I made my own version up. :D

7. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Good job I changed my old sig :D

8. KungFuGrrrl

KungFuGrrrl Valued Member

I study Wing Chun Kung Fu, Tai Chi Chuan, Jeet kune Do and weapons.
    I have 3 proturding discs, one rupter (black)
    I am 55% deaf in left ear 45 in right, I have ptsd and panic disorder, trauma induced arthritis in spine and brain damage(neurological damage)
    I do pretty well and now teach Tai Chi Chuan at the School and assist Wing Chun Teaching.
    I have some trouble in Wing Chun (basically with kicks) but I modify and work with what I have and don't do to bad if I say so myself!
    I do hav trouble with memory but find that when we *go at it* my muscle memory comes out and works well for me.
    repitition repetition repitition
    KFG

9. TheBorderer

TheBorderer New Member

Hi folks

I know I have said this before in the How do any disabilities/learning difficulties effect your training in a MA? thread (ok mayb there's a little "plugging" for the thread I started there! :D), but just to add myself (finally!) in Mr Wizard's nicely kept register :)

Name:
    Andrew Deeming

Style:
    Tae Kwon Do (ITF, UKTA)

A little (little) bit about me:
    I have a combined learning difficult of Dyspraxia, which effects my coordination (just the kinda thing you want when learning a new move or a pattern! :D). I also Dysgraphia which gives makes my handwriting difficult to read (tho my mum thinks that should qualify me for being a Dr of some sort! :D) {thinks "Why the heck are these conditions so difficult to spell!" :confused:}.

10. Chase

Chase New Member

Hi, I practice Tai Chi, Kali, Wing Chun, JKDC from a chair as I have CP. In so doing, I put a lot of emphasis into adaptation of technique tempered by functionality. Hence, everything I do contains a little bit of something else, & everything is practiced on both sides. My Tai Chi sword form accomodates the use of lots of Kali weapons [my favorite weapon being a garden cultivator]. I also practice a lot of Nei Kung, especially the Microcosmic Orbit [used to be a lot of Wai Dan Chi Kung, but I found the sensitivity to the movement of chi was better in the Nei Dan]. ;)

11. Jewbacca

Jewbacca New Member

Name
    Andrew Dozier

Style
    Judo (little)
    Cane/Hanbo
    misc. self defense

About Me
    I'm a cancer survivor of 7 years, left with a knee that doesn't bend. I'm unable to do must every kicking technique there is, so I focus on hand techniques and the use of a walking cane (curved top) or hanbo. I took judo as a child, and some of the throws and footwork have translated into a very gentle style that impresses even my friend Ben, who has taken MA all his life and is working on his third black belt.

12. shakyninja

shakyninja New Member

Name

Martin Ellingford

Style

Shotokan

About Me

I live in east London I was born with a tremor that gets worse when the adrenaline starts pumping. It can be cool though, when I spar with someone they see me standing there shaking, thinking I'm affraid but I am really rev'd up, you gots to turn your weaknesses into strenghts.

shakyninja

13. WhiteWizard

I now do eskrima too guy with bad eyesight waving a stick i know it does sound a bad idea

14. Nimrook

Nimrook New Member

Name:
    Tel Woolsey

Styles:
    Boxing, Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Recently took up Goju-Ryu karate

Cons:
    well I caught a disease a month after I was born and my left leg is completely useless, and my right shoulder is a bit screwed, and I've had chronic back pain since I was six.

Pros:
    I wear a metal, and industrial grade plastic brace on my left leg making it completely kneebar proof, as well as low kick proof. The chronic back pain has shot my pain tolerance through the roof, which makes me one of the toughest S.O.B.'s to fight.

I have been lucky enough to find people who look past the disability and work with what I can do rather then what I can't. I can throw a lethal left hook, and due to my complete aggressivness on the ground I'm also pretty dangerous there as well.

15. vicjudofreak

vicjudofreak Valued Member

vicjudofreak

I ahve had chronic arm pain extending through my wrist into my hand since i had an accident as a kid, which affects everyday life, as well as judo. i was told that when it hurt it wasnt doing anymore damage, but have recently found out thats not true and that it could get worse. the problem is basically that my tendon in my forearm is too short due to fibrosis and the whole area is now being stressed to the point where i am facing surgery, which may not even work. the option is just a splint, which i cant wear for judo anyway, so its all a bit scary at the moment. seeing how other people cope is really helpful, cos i dont really know where to go from here.

16. La Mancha

La Mancha Valued Member

David

Iaido

No left eye, congestive heart failure, and my daughter says a complete inability to grow up ( he he )

so what we all got problems, life is fun enjoy it.

chatter box likes this.
  17. humble student

humble student Valued Member

I have physical and metal dialbilities

I have poor range of motion in right arm and three fingers on right hand can't turn right hand palm up. i also have major depression and ptsd due to abuse and very little cartlidge in right knee also due to birth defect. Have yellow belt in combo-aikido, shaolin kempo, tang soo do orange belt jukido jujitsu aslo self taught judo and karate from Bruce Tegner books since i was twelve currently 32. Thanks, John

18. WhiteWizard

Welcome to the party John hope you enjoy your time here.

19. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Hello all. This is my first post. In 1996, I had a spinal cord injury which paralyzed me from the waist down. It was a moderate enough injury that I was able to re-learn to walk, run, ride a bike, etc., but my left leg and foot are still somewhat numb (i.e. one time I dropped a glass on the floor at night and didn't realize I'd cut my foot until I saw that I'd tracked blood on the carpet; that sort of thing).

In 2000, I did Shotokan Karate for about 5 months, which helped some with my balance and a lot with my confidence. Then I moved to another city and did no martial arts for almost three years (got a little overweight, too). Last summer I moved back, and for the past year I have been training at the Minnesota Kali Group, Seattle branch, where I study Kali weaponry and Kali Panantukan (empty hand), Muay Thai, Jun Fan MA, and JKD concepts. While training has improved my balance considerably (I used to trip pretty frequently just walking around, and now that doesn't happen much), balance is still my biggest issue (training also got rid of those excess pounds).

Throwing a right Muay Thai round kick is the most difficult thing for me, since it basically requires twisting your whole body around while balancing on just your left toes. I prefer throwing the Jun Fan kicks, because most of them are smaller motions and therefore it's easier to keep my balance when doing them. I am making a conscious effort to get better at my Thai kicks, though.

20. humble student

humble student Valued Member

E-Rocker

It is admirable that you train and even got back in shape! I know balance can be hard now that I am training and walking with a cane my balance is off for kicking. On my strong leg I don't need it on my weak leg I always have to find a point for support depending on kick type.

Welcome and enjoy yourself!
    John Runer