Hello

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by DSilat, Feb 1, 2017.

1. DSilat

DSilat New Member

Hello MAP.

30+year veteran of the martial arts but for the last 14 I've been exclusively practicing Pencak Silat. Instructor of Cimande (from two different lineages) and recently graduated as an instructor in Silek Tuo in Sumatera Barat. (what an experience that was! ;) )

Frequent traveler back to the source, and i have been to and trained in Japan, China, Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia in various different martial arts many many times.

Just moved to Orlando in Florida.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

3. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Sounds like you've managed to squeeze in a fair amount of authentic 'source' training over the years...

...Careful though, as I understand that there is a real Mickey Mouse organisation operating here! :banana:

Welcome to MAP

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Welcome to MAP! :)

5. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

Welcome, DSilat. Where in Malaysia did you train?

6. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Welcome to MAP!

7. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Welcome to MAP!

8. DSilat

DSilat New Member

Jaydub,

In Sarawak and in Penang at different times, but in all honesty i'm an Indonesian stylist, not a Malaysian one.

9. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

welcome to map

10. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

Do Silat schools typically allow someone, who's passing through, to train for one or two days?

11. Marku85

Marku85 Valued Member

Welcome to map!

12. DSilat

DSilat New Member

Jaydub,

generally no they don't, even if they let you through the front door you are highly unlikely to see much of their system unless its a belt factory or some other very commercial operation.

All of my training in south east asia has been in Kampong sasaran/padepokan and in all cases i needed a local introduction so it wasnt easy. The difference in quality of the Silek/Silat compared to the commercial operations is remarkable.

hope that helps (at least in an informative way)

13. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

DSilat,

Thank you for the info. Perhaps not the answer I was hoping for, but quite helpful nonetheless.

I've had a little limited exposure to Silat at a couple seminars when I trained in JKD. I found it to be a very fascinating art. Maybe another opportunity will come my way again some day.

14. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

Welcome DSilat.....

I'm a student from Jim Ingram and his son Raymond Ingram.

Always fun to have fellow practitioners here.

15. Agoge

Agoge Valued Member

Welcome aboard!