Looking to start a martial art

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Nocturnalman, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Nocturnalman

Nocturnalman New Member

Hi all! I'm looking to start up martial arts and I was wondering if you all can help me with choosing what style will be best for me as a noob. A bit about myself. I'm a 40 year old man. I've been interested in martial arts for many years but never got to study like I've wanted to (I took some lessons here and there in my life but something always came up that made me have to stop).

There are a few things that has made me consider getting into martial arts on a regular basis as of late. Self defense (we live in a crazy world where attacks on people are happening all the time), getting in better shape (staying active while learning a useful skill instead of pumping weights or running on a tredmill).

I have some health problems to consider. My low back gives me pain from time to time from an old injury. I also take blood thinners for blood clots. And I deal with some wrist tendon pain but its not extreme.

So what style of martial art would you all recommend for me? Thanks!

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

What area are you in. It'll help with recommendations.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You have to choose your options first. Start with what's in your area and then decide what suits your timetable. Lastly you pick what you'd prefer to do. Style is largely irrelevant to your interests as a) self defence has little to do with fighting and b) all martial arts will get you in better shape in one way or another.

Some other choices might be if you are interested in competing in something, and if you're worries about things like bruising.

4. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I'd like to pick that up.

My (sadly) former JJ-teacher had to take bloodthinners once a year for a while.
    He had to be careful when training in those times, because... well, the blood being thinner, easier bleeding and the such. The obvious reasons.

He would not spar or do randori in those days.

Might be something the starter should be considering as well, no?
    (Honest answer not being as wisecracker; personally I don't have experiences with those)

5. Nocturnalman

Nocturnalman New Member

The schools in my area offer bjj, muay thai, aikido, boxing and judo. All are different schools.

Also, when it comes to the blood thinners I take a pill once a day to prevent blood clots. This is a condition that runs in my family.

6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Again, I don't know much about it.

Do you have to consider that, when doing sports or anything?
    If you bleed easy through this, contact might be something you should at the very least be very carefull about.

My teacher had to take one pill for some days per year, and was very careful during this time.

7. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

You need to talk to a qualified medical professional, preferably one with some understanding of sports. Different arts have different impacts on the body. You need to ask a professional medic what the effect of your medication will be if you are struck or if you fall heavily.

Many striking arts have semi contact sparing where most contact is light. however there is still a chance of an accidental hard strike if you walk into a punch. The same for wrestling arts,bjj can be done with an emphasis on floor work, but bruising does happen, as does the occasional accident, e.g elbow in the eye.

Once you know what sort of bumps and bruises / injuries are ok, we will be able to recommend arts that fit the bill. But the first step is to get advice from a qualified medical professional, about what sort of ware and tear is safe for you.

8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

You said that you want to get into shape and have some health concerns. I'd strongly consider the boxing or muay thai training classes -- where you'll be exercising and hitting bags, not people, under the guidance of a coach. Try that for six months and then re-evaluate where you are in terms of physical health and interest.

9. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I would recommend stopping by the local schools and seeing if you can do some trial classes. Discuss your medical concerns with your doctor and with the instructors. Try out the classes and see which seem to fit your goals and which you like. Go from there...

10. GlennBlack

GlennBlack Banned Banned

I have a slightly different perspective, learn the fence by Geoff Thompson go to a boxing gym tell the instructor your story and learn how to punch your weight which you will learn in one session with any instructor worth their salt, buy a bag and practice pre emptive strikes, learn negative ego control and how to smile and let on to potential threat.
    Learning how to engage and how to become comfortable in combat is good for conditioning but it is not effective self defence as you become comfortable being in the mix.
    You don't want to be there in the first place.

11. AussieGirl

AussieGirl Valued Member

I agree with the others that there is no "right" or "wrong" in which martial art to choose. And just because I have a great taekwondo school near me doesn't mean that the one near you will be equally good. Most schools have a free trial period - use it and try a few local to you. Talk to the instructors and get a feel for the place. We ended up choosing our school simply because it would let my daughter and I train in class together (the others had separate kids classes) and they seemed friendly. The fact that it was taekwondo was mostly ancillary.

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

re blood thinners, this is the major thing which may rule out harder contact arts, check it with your dr, if its just aspirin you may be fine, if its warfarin, apixiban etc possibly not, definitely ask your dr/pharmacist before training anywhere.

After that just attend as many as you can for a lesson or two and go from there!

Ive trained bjj with people on warfarin, and even with no striking and throws they had to be very carefull!

13. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

Definitely check with your doctor first before starting anything. Even Aikido which may have less impact style techniques will undoubtedly have you taking some hard falls. That being said, all those you listed look like good choices. Try a trail class (most schools offer them) and see which you like the best. Sometimes it's also how you interact with the instructor and if they are to your liking. Like said above, the style tends to be secondary to those other factors.