Judo = Too dangerous to use in a street fight?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Vinny Lugo, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Subitai

Subitai Valued Member

Used to go there back in the 90's when I'd visit a friend in San Diego.

Was in the tourist area, you know ... right after you cross over and just before you get into a taxi to take you there, you're usually assaulted by a bunch of kids saying "Chicle" "Chicle" (basically selling you gum)

Anyway, I was on the street in between bars and both my buddies had gotten into a fight with 3 other (I assume other American Tourists) guys. They were white.

I came over to stop the fight and one of them came at me...grabbed him and tossed him down with a hip throw.

That's the short version...but basically we ran outta there after knocking out 2 of them and I can still remember the cops in the brown shirts chasing us and yelling "No Dejan Pasar" "Do Dejan Pasar". We just hid out for awhile and went back to the border.

2. DarkComplex

DarkComplex Valued Member

Lol haha.

So I take it that you used an Ogoshi? Well it's good you used what you learned.

You ever trained at Tenri? Heard they are tough there. I checked out Sawtelle in 2015 but the schedule didn't work for me.

I don't know why the Judo schools don't have morning classes.

3. Subitai

Subitai Valued Member

Yes for sure....good old "O goshi".

Sorry I'm not familiar with that name you gave...I've been out of judo circles for a long time. It's just that the few basics I do remember have always helped me.

About judo...I have a personal regret that I never finished my black belt. At the time I studied it, I made it to brown belt but I was not yet 16 yrs old and my Sensei would not give a black out until you were at least 16.

He's passed away now but his name was Armand Leblanc...this was back in the 80's. We lived in Navy housing off base and I studied Judo back then.

I was too hot headed back then and switched because I was too impatient. I'm really to blame, not for lack of guidance I tell ya. :eek:

Anyway, I got jumped another time by a few guys and used another type throw. I had my back to some bushes that were freshly trimmed. (Sharp edges and stalks) I used "harai goshi" I do believe it's called?? ...but on the inside leg to throw the dude over and into the bush. He got all jabbed up... worked great so I could fight the other guys with hit an run.

4. GlennBlack

GlennBlack Banned Banned

The thread caught my attention and I asked myself what is too dangerous for a steer fight?
    I think it's important to understand what that means within itself in relation to the prospect of the unknown in a reality based environment, for example multiple unknown attackers, concealed weapons, for you to throw someone they have attacked you as it's using their forces and energy against them that results in them being thrown, it's a fundamental ethos of Judo.

If you live in fear of defending yourself then you or yours become a victim.

The law is very clear you have the right to defend yourself if you sincerely believe a person or persons are going to commit an offence upon your person to the extent you can pre emptively strike first.

If that scenario goes beyond one attacker or included a weapon it is logica and reasonable to assume you are in a life or death scenario because what is presented before you is potentially life threatening.

Now I repeat the question 'is Judo too dangerous for a street fight'
    My logical conclusion with full clear conscience is most certainly no.

Stay safe guys.

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The law also requires any action you take to be reasonable and proportionate and the CPS and a jury get to decide what those two words mean.

6. GlennBlack

GlennBlack Banned Banned

In the first instance the Police get to decide if further action is needed court is a long way off.

I can only speak from my experience of having used Judo in reality working the door and in my own self protection working at my previous job having being attacked resulting in the Police attending.

It has to be put into perspective you are not going to court by any stretch of the imagination if the Police turn up and you have just thrown a guy to the floor and injured them and it's clear you are a calm contained disciplined individual who has just defended themselves against a crime being committed upon your person, unless you have killed the man.

The language that is used is also a deciding factor.
    You don't say I'm a black belt in Judo I've just thrown that guy into the wall the language you use is one of a victim of crime not a trained fighter.
    Hence in law it's not what you do it's what you say you did.
    I would also suggest going out with a trusted training partner and drilling reality throws on concrete, pressure testing and adapting your technique.
    Punching using any closed fist discipline is frowned upon by the law as they just see thug behaviour hence why open palm is effective as from witness testimony it can appear as a slap not a trained punch.

7. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

At least that's not the job of the police.
    If person A slaps person B and B throws A to the ground and injures him, person A can tell the police that he want to sue B.

The police take the report and give it to public prosecution department, and they take further action.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It depends on the country's laws.

9. GlennBlack

GlennBlack Banned Banned

I'm in the UK my friend and frankly that would not wash with the Police here I've seen it tried by thugs who cry wolf after being served their just deserts only to be told to move on or spend the night locked up.

10. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I just saw in the quote from DeadPool that there was missing a word> I meant to write "At least HERE that's..."

Police here really actually has to report it.
    Doesn't mean that it will get prosecuted, that't up the prosecution office, but they do have to file the report.
    In my example chances are, A chances would be rather slim though.

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

That makes perfect sense!

12. Martial Padawan

Martial Padawan New Member

From my and my friends experience, in case that one of the guys in a street fight have trained in some martial arts, and the other don't, he will have a huge advantage.

Specifically about technique and the longevity of the fight - in most of the case it's a matter of seconds and who will strike first, better and more precisely.

From what I observed, boxers have a huge street fight advantage.