Advice on School

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by SuperSanity, Jan 31, 2015.

1. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype

I was researching schools in several areas I'm considering moving to and came across this one. http://vitalpointmartialarts.com/Home_Page.html

Apparently trained under Guru Inosanto (a quick Google search has him showing up on inosanto.com though I don't know the legitimacy of that site).

This is one of four videos from his Youtube account.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnRtC546QaI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnRtC546QaI[/ame]

Aside from the absolutely horribly web design, what do you more experienced guys think? Worth my time and money if I do move there?

2. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

I wouldn't be interested in takeing that myself. How much does he ask?

3. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype

No price is listed on the website. I haven't emailed him yet, but the reviews I've seen say it's reasonable.

4. bodyshot

That's always something to consider when lookin round for some ma training. If its to high don't sign up. Good luck bro.

5. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Why not?

Might be good to give an opinion to back your statement. :)

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I've had a look at a couple of his videos and there's enough there to make me curious enough to go and take a look.

A wide range of skills and I like his calm manner.

Worth checking out in my opinion.

7. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Forgot to mention.

Inosanto.com is Dan's site. I guess if he is listed there, then he is legit.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Seems like standard IA material and he comes across as personable. There are differences in his execution to how I do it, but these are nuances as much as anything else. In the absence of being hands on with him its bears closer looking at.

9. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype

Thanks for the input! Looks like I'll be shooting an email out. I can swing by when I'm home on leave.

10. bodyshot

Opnions are like gym socks lols. It was just an opnion based on my preferences, I like to keep it simple bro. In the video I really didn't think that technique looked like it would be effective against a really aggressive opponent. But I guess if I'm fighting thirteen year olds that only throw one slow punch at a time then I suppose I could pull of the technique he was teaching exactly how he was doing it but that's just me, somebody else might be able to pick that up and make it work.

I like really don't use much other than the basics of Karate and boxing when it comes to striking and my personal philosophy is that a good offense is a good defense, I get active the second you get into range idk that's just me bro.

11. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype

It's about repetition really. "Muscle memory" if you will. Is even a basic kick perfect the first time you try it?

12. bodyshot

Its really just about that easy IMO. I mean perfect, probably not but if you don't get the gist of it in like five minutes then some things up bro.
    I think seeing people do all the fancy stuff after a punch turns me off, I studied american kenpo and although it looked good man that crap does not work on anybody that really knows how to fight. That's my onion it, not the gospel mind you.
    OK here man, if you can throw a snap jab and a hard cross before he can blink than your good as far as I'm concerned. If you can cover up and perry basic punches your OK, add weaving bobbing and foot work to it and your d is good in my book. Kicking pretty much the same story bro.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  13. bodyshot

Go for it. If u dig it give it the college try.

14. Simon

Fancy stuff after a punch?

It's a parry to the outside line, it's not a fancy technique.

My avatar is me doing the same technique to the inside line.

Do you have any blocks or parries in your art? If so then you are doing the same thing.

If not them how do you block or parry punches?

Explain the above for me.

You studied American Kempo, how long for?

Are you saying you know how to fight and it didn't work against you, or that you just believe the above to be true?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  15. Simon

You've edited your post to say the above.

You now say, "if you can cover up and parry basic punches you're okay".

So are you now saying you like what you see in the video, because that's what's being demonstrated?