Bad Ninjutsu Videos and Critiques w/o Off Topic Videos

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Fu_Bag, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

Right sorry just edited my post above to explain better. I didn't intend to imply they didn't or couldn't fight, but just that the form of fighting in that specific "bad" video seemed very against the type of fighting as you said those ninja would need to stay inconspicuous and use koshijutsu and koppojutsu the other koryu you mentioned. I came across at least one reference to ninja using buried Chinese landmine technology to assassinate at least one feudal lord, if you're interested I will try to dig up that source if I get a chance, it was a while back that I read about it....can't even remember the lord's name but it might have been before the Sengoku era. There was a Japanese name for the device as well...evading my tired head at the moment :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  2. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Jirai are what land mines are called, and I doubt you will find any reference of ninja assassinating any feudal lords(daimyo). How and when they died was often distorted or kept secret as long as possible for a lot of reasons. Oda Nobunaga was supposedly shot by a ninja but his armor protected him, that is the only reference I can think of offhand.

References about ninja were also usually very sparse on detail. If you look at the Magari no Jin, one of the first references, it basically says these Koga guys fought on the side of this bloke and some were especially helpful to the cause. It was a night attack or series of night attacks and they might have used some arson or explosives.

We can agree that hopping around like a kangaroo while looking around won't do much for you in a fight. However, this is the bad video thread so I don't really want to detract from the detritus.

Hence:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cujr078OPOs"]Ninjutsu Knife attack defence methods - YouTube[/ame]

Grabbing stationary knife arms really works…not. Doesn't look like any knife defenses in any of the ryu I've studied.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

MY EYES!!!!! Why do you insist on making me watch this stuff?????

4. The Iron Fist

Right well first I must apologize, I am showing my laziness of terminology, abused "ninja" obviously the more modern construct, and should have said shinobi no mono and their predecessors (忍者 in Nara era poetry), and I believe the lord might actually have been a shugo. The tale involved the planting of a series of explosive boxes under a road and a trick to lure the shugo out, the explosion collapsed the road and killed the lord. For references I am looking as far back as the first millennium AD for tales, relics, just about anything I can find. My usual interest in the islands goes back as far as the relics of Jōmon/neolithic age of Japan but I have recently found a new-found interest in the tales of shinobi, so it helps to get quality information from someone who has been around the block so to speak with this material.

However I will not further pollute your thread with my historical musings, please continue with the entertaining Non-jitsu sir :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  5. Please reality

Nara era? No need for ninja or shinobi, not until much later. Look at the political, military, and geographical circumstances, then you will figure out when to look. The story sounds Hayesish, sources would help.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuTnYhSBgbE"]Ninja Sensei Roemke Teaches Practical Versions of Budo Taijutsu Omote Gyaku for Bujinkan Ninjutsu - YouTube[/ame]

Pure hogwash! Can't grab a punch so why demonstrate grabbing one? Crappy blocking, doesn't seem to have a clue about real striking, and the second technique wasn't even omote gyaku. Kick was crap too.

6. The Iron Fist

Hey "PR" right now reading selections of the Kojiki (a neat myth->historical hybrid with some great background on Shinto) and Nihongi (an interesting read because of the Chinese/Japanese mix of kanbun). The poetry I mentioned is something in addition to the romance and warrior legends of that era that are part myth before giving way to more historically verifiable stuff. Anyways I am hunting for references not to shinobi no mono proper but bits and pieces in the late 1st millennium legends and myths that could shed some clues (i.e. ghosts and goblins stuff). There was a lot of excellent pre-World War work done by scholars such as F. Hadland Davis on the era. As you said it's not easy and my reading is...slow. but I am properly motivated. Japanese legend is quite entertaining and full of epics that rival Greece and China (and in some cases I've found....the stories aren't even Japanese but Chinese tales retold as Japanese ones).

That said, I will pay for my insolence with a silly video I found after watching yours and checking out the others in that channel. Hope I can impress you.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc1JPh1g_lg"]"Overcoming The Flinch Response" Ninja Training To Take A Punch for Bujinkan Ninjutsu - YouTube[/ame]

What the heck, the right way to learn to take a body punch is to lean in and give them your head/face? Dear mother, this is practically begging to take a pop in the face or worse just get yourself strangled. I am probably far worse at fighting than the guys from this channel, but even I am not stupid enough to take punches by feeding my head to an attacker. I don't think learning to "give and take a little bit" in reference to kicks and punches gives you a "one up" as he says....I think it's fundamental and if you don't train for that, you're not just "one down", you're gonna get really, really hurt.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  7. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I dare ask what does the knife defense from the ryu look like? During my stint in i remember doing a technique/kata then various weapons being used in the rear hand instead of empty hands. I looked at various Super old threads on another buj site and some were saying that specific kata for knife defense/offense did not exist.

So is knife defense for the ryuha something that is extrapolated out from the kata or was what i was reading wrong? I also seemingly remember asking my teacher about knife offensive techniques/knife fighting and he said not out right no but one with a good understanding of taijutsu should be able to do it just fine. Though i honestly think i may have misheard him at the time.

8. Please reality

I am familiar with the tales you mentioned, just unfamiliar with why you would want to read them if you are looking for clues on ninja/ninjutsu.:dunno: There aren't any clues in anything that early because there were no ninja yet. Some like to place things further back than they can verify but there wasn't a need for ninja until much later, so no ninja. There were also certain local geographical factors that influenced its creation. So look at those things and you can figure out where to start. There are plenty of threads here about the history and historical research so if you search for them, you can find sources and more discussion. Having said that, yep you guessed it, another crappy video:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1ZpBeZkMYM"]Bujinkan Kata 虚空 Koku Preview - YouTube[/ame]

Bad technique, bad balance, bad taijutsu. If you can't get this kata right, you shouldn't pass Go and get your 200yen.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116638

9. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

What and who the crap was that?, sorry but that was bad

10. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

There are several kata in the schools that specifically deal with knife defences

It turns up quite frequently the curricula

Generally speaking the distancing and covering used in the buj is done in the consideration/assumption that your opponent is armed. Which might be what your instructor meant

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Sweet zombie jeebers!!!!!!

12. Dunc

I don't normally comment on these vids, but that is, in my view, a great example of folk extrapolating a sensible concept to absurdity

13. Dunc

Call me old fashioned but I ain't ever seen one of the shihan hopping about off balance when doing keri kaeshi

14. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

sweet jesus....

15. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

At 37 second I nominate that for a special MAP award, class!

16. Pankeeki

Pankeeki Valued Member

17. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

Jeez, that was absolute crap

18. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

That's putting it mildly!

Are you feeling ok?? :D

19. Niinpo

Niinpo 万変不驚 Banpen Fugyo

Why at the end did he put the sword behind him, was it to shield it with his body, and prevent it from getting damaged?

20. Dunc

Stiff legs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.