Brazilian Ju-Jitsu the best?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Indie12, Jan 24, 2015.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

problem is in open comps like ADCC BJJ tends to dominate , i think every winner in 2013 was a BJJ blackbelt
    and in 2011 i think only Lister was an non BJJ guy to win his division
    So on results we have to say BJJ does seem to be the dominant grappling style, of course world class judo and freestyle guys have other things to do than enter ADCC

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

When you say lister (non bjj guy) you don't mean dean lister the bjj black belt do you?

http://www.bjjee.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Dean-Lister-247x300.jpg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You are correct, everyone is a BJJ back belt. That's because CACC is still very small compared to other grappling arts. Wait a few years :p

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

How many listers have won adcc? I was being generous since you could also claim him as a sambo guy, two time national champ I believe and a college wrestler,
    He is the only winner that comes to mind that wasn't first and foremost a strict bjj guy

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

catch has been around in the public eye much much longer than BJJ, if it was going to catch on it would have
    and unfortunately the last true practitioner and teacher died last year

6. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Mark Kerr?

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

i was talking about the last two years in my origianl post, a few guys have won over the years like kerr and monson, but in 2011 lister was the only guy who could even be claimed as not a strict BJJ guy

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

catch just morphed into freestyle.

also there are still some of the wigan catch folk teaching (i cant remember their names but they're the kids from the old billy riley video)

what is meant by a true practitioner? i dont really know anyone involved in open rule grappling or MMA that sticks to one style.
    most the turn of the 20th century grapplers would steal any useable technique. we're just seeing that happen again.

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Josh Barnett. Pretty much all CACC. He has like a 2nd degree black belt in BJJ but he's said before it's just ceremonial.

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Not entirely true - Fujiwara, Wicks, Cardinal, Mountford, Wood and others are still kicking. Plu with Josh, Harry and Erik flying the flag it still has plenty of life

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Not entirely true - Fujiwara, Wicks, Cardinal, Mountford, Wood and others are still kicking. Plu with Josh, Harry and Erik flying the flag it still has plenty of life

12. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Sorry for the post full of videos. and stuff but i thought you might be interested icefield.

Right found it.
    From the original crop with Billy Robinson, under Billy Riley, was Tommy Heyes.
    EDIT: not the kid in the vid
    He still teaches at Bolton Olympic Wrestling (in Bolton). http://www.britishwrestling.org/clubs.asp?section=29&itemid=10

Here's a video series of him teaching catch,he talks about history and he even explains why the full nelson is barred.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=85114404&x-yt-ts=1422579428&v=S4XGnT2Q6Ak
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1422579428&x-yt-cl=85114404&v=m412WS8Foj4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1422579428&x-yt-cl=85114404&v=lPG5YBe5Zxo#t=292

Not sure who jack mountford is but he looks old too and apparently coaches mike wilkson.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  13. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

My apologies, but you hadn't made that very clear.

14. Dead_pool

Deans an ex wrestler and ex sambo champion but that doesnt make him not a bjj guy, it makes him not just a ibjjf bjj guy with a focus on leg locks.

15. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

No kidding! I always assumed he was a scholar of old school Japanese martial arts! Dean, I apologize for underestimating the breadth of your knowledge!!!

Edit: Wait we're talking about Lister, not Winchester, right? :[

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  16. Dead_pool

Theres an interview with erik paulson (on rolled up I think) where he says josh has rolled and trained plenty of bjj in the gi, (and you would have too to win in the gi like josh has) but would never admit it, as catch is his 'gimmick'.

17. Dead_pool

Is there a difference between old school catch, and new school catch, taking into account new grappling trends (chokes, the guard etc)

18. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Man I cried when she died.

19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

id say catch split into two distinct arts, free style and pro catch as catch can, which was basically fixed wrestling for entertainment, catch as practised in wigan is almost a dead style outside that town.
    I would love to see it come back but really its been 30 years since first ufc, if it was going to come back especially here in the UK I think it would have done it whilst BJJ was rare and hard to find, not when good BJJ can be found in nearly every city

20. icefield

icefield Valued Member

And as i said i was being generous , my original post should have read the only guy to win his weight category in the last 2 ADCCs who maybe couldn't be called a strict BJJ would probably be lister