What I need, does it exist?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Xanth, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

I'm looking to find if anyone knows of a product that fits this need:

Looks like a laptop, has monitor (17 or higher inch) and keyboard...

but the CPU and the rest of the computer's guts are separate and connected to this unit via either proprietary (boo) or usb/hdmi/dvi etc method.

Reason:

I like to game, the wife does not. I stopped using my 27" desktop all in one and started using a laptop so we can both be in the living room. The laptop will get hot and having a cooling pad helps but also adds to the weight.
    I'd like to have the core computer on the floor next to the chair, and only have the laptop/keyboard on my lap reducing (I hope) weight and heat.

I've done searches, but not had luck finding such a product,
    anyone know?

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  2. Pearlmks

Pearlmks Valued Member

Is something like this possible?

Basically you hide the cpu behind the chair/sofa and use adjustable arms for the keyboard, mouse and screen. I've seen simpler versions of the setup but didn't find an image I liked, just picture it with less clutter.

Have you looked into alienware (or similar) notebooks? They're pricey but run well and shouldn't heat up too much. IIRC, companies tried to change the term laptop to notebook precisely because they shouldn't be used on laps.

The other choice that I know about is to use a laptop support.

Attached Files:

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i've had success putting a laptop on a breakfast tray to keep it off my legs :p

4. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

Trays work, but no ideal for my situation. I'm thinking of taking a dead HP laptop I have and attempting to make it work. I didn't think a product existed, and I'm not sure there would be a lot of demand for one either.

Thanks all,

5. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Be surprised if it couldn't take a usb or bluetooth keyboard.

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

is... is that really a gaming-oriented peripheral with the brand "gaems"?

...lol

8. Pearlmks

Pearlmks Valued Member

Thinking is hard...

it seems you can use "console" type controls

9. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Why can't you keep the desktop? Your wife can use the laptop without any problem if she doesn't game.

10. pecks

pecks Valued Member

remote desktop into the PC from the laptop. then the PC does all the hard work, but you can use the laptop as a "client".

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Plug the laptop into the tv with a hdmi lead than just attach a wireless keyboard to the laptop. Sounds a lot simpler than buying a new moniter.

12. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

Depending on what games you're playing, Steam will stream any game to the same account on the LAN (so I can 'play' DOTA2 at max settings on my 2006 MBP while I'm in the living room, with all the actual lifting being done by my massive desktop hidden in my room. Or CoD, but I like DOTA better)

13. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

Thanks all, I appreciate the feedback. The layout of our living room has me sort of off to the side of the TV, and we watch tv as I play. There really isn't room for a tray or other system to hold the laptop and I end up hiding it under the chair when not in use. I continue to look for a solution, realizing that this situation is very unique and one may not exist.

14. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

15. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

I did look at this, perhaps I dismissed it too quickly. wondering if I could make the rack look a bit nicer and make it comfortable for use on my lap.

Thanks!

16. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

17. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

With Windows 10, you can have an Xbox One stream to a PC. It's basically the exact opposite of Steam machine streaming (where your PC does the calculations but your TV shows the gameplay). So yeah, you could have an Xbox One streaming to a laptop running Windows 10 and it'll do exactly what you want.

Win10 launches later this year; exact launch date TBA.

18. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

I'm still not sure who would want to stream that direction. It's not like the XBone keeps up with any gaming PC today; in a couple years most laptops purchased should be better gaming rigs then an XBone.

19. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I think it's a great option for ultrabooks and other thin-and-light laptops that don't have dedicated GPUs or adequate cooling for gaming. You'd use it when your spouse is monopolizing the TV (kind of like how the Wii-U allows you to play games streaming to just the WiiPad if you don't have control of the TV...otherwise known as the "keep your sanity during the Real Housewives" feature).

20. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Have you considered a HDMI sender/receiver?

You could even use a normal HDMI set up for this or VGA if your TV has it. Plug the laptop into a TV via the HDMI/VGA port. Then connect a wireless keyboard and mouse. No more cooked thighs.

I don't know why I didn't suggest this earlier. It's actually how I use my desktop. ... Sorry!