Breathing

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Unreal Combat, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I am looking to step up to do my Blue Belt soon, which is a massive cardio test and I feel my breathing is holding me back due to not getting enough oxygen in these lungs!

Anyone got any tips? Especially when doing ringcraft & padwork, and obviously transferring that into the ring when fighting also?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

We have a young boxer at work and he says his stamina/breathing capacity has soared by using a respiratory trainer.

http://www.ultrabreathe.com/

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_13/275-8153858-5298668?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=respiratory+trainer&sprefix=respiratory+t%2Caps%2C334"]Amazon.co.uk: respiratory trainer[/ame]

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I also really like this type of thing for conditioning.

This from the excellent Iain Abernethy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD6AIdFKoIo"]Karate Belt & Pads Conditioning Drills - YouTube[/ame]

4. Unreal Combat

We don't wear belts so would have to find a comfortable substitute.

Respiratory Trainer is a nice suggestion but I am more interested in stuff that won't cost me money, especially with Christmas coming up. :D

I've been told to try and focus on breathing through the mouth more with a gum shield in to learn how to breathe if I get my nose blocked from swelling, etc. So what ideas can you guys come up with to help improve this outside of working on cardio via training during gym time?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  5. Hive

Hive Valued Member

Unless you have a poorly designed mouth guard I think the only thing to do is work on cardio really. But I'm a noob so take any advise given with a pinch of salt ;)

PS - I have seen on amazon mouth guards that boasted about having superior breathing airways or something. Might be an idea to review what you're using.

6. Unreal Combat

Mine's just a bog standard one piece Blitz mouth guard to be honest. I'm of the opinion that what mouth guard I use shouldn't matter as long as it isn't unnecessarily obstructive.

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Running has always been a surefire way to increase stamina. Everyone in any particular martial art that is competitive does it.

If you can't jog three miles at an 8 min. pace for 24 min. total you have your first goal. Doing wind sprints after a good run is always bonus.

As far as mitts and drills go, just be conscious of it or have whomever is holding the mitts remind you every few combos. You can get your coach or somebody watching to do the same for breathing, just sending a reminder. You have to be conscious of your breathing until you breathe naturally during sparring/drills at some point, you're not going to get there if you don't constantly think about and are aware of it.

I think I just won a poor syntax award for repeating "get somebody to remind you" and "constantly think about."

8. Unreal Combat

Lol.

I do running. About 4km ended with sprints between each lamp post. I'm not really unfit, I just think it's more my breathing technique when working pads or sparring that is letting me down more. I am still struggling to relax at times as well. I find I get drawn into blow trading a little too easily which ends up exerting my energy quite easily also.

9. Yodo

Yodo Banned Banned

You should inspect the basic trainings of AI KI DO breathing technicues.

It is not how much you take air as you take long 10 km runs, but how you handle the small amount of oxygen (chi) in the air.

In the little, there is big.

And when you try big, you go little.

10. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Please explain.

I have a hunch about what you are referring to, but I don't see why I should bother trying to guess at the meaning behind your cryptic posts if you can't be arsed to actually explain anything.

11. Unreal Combat

Bit of a thread necro. This thread is ancient.

12. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Practice inhaling into your kidneys