Is this Traditional or Modern age?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by peteryoung, Nov 16, 2014.

1. peteryoung

peteryoung New Member

Hi, im looking for your opinion on this club,

Will this teach me the highly effective art of JiuJitsu, or is this the modern JiuJitsu, (ive been warned to stay away, as it is 'watered down' and not as effective. Is this true? Is the modern Jiujitsu not as effective?

Thanks

http://www.kyushinryu.com/index.html

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Modern does not equal "not effective".

3. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

It appears to be a traditional (koryu) style, that doesn't mean that it is any more or less effective than any other style.

A modern style is no more or less effective than a traditional style, how they are taught and trained is more important than the age of the style.

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

No it doesn't.

:)

5. FunnyBadger

According to their website it is. I appreciate Im no expert on all the different koryu styles but they claim it is and when I googled the ryu it matched up with what I found on their website.

6. Dean Winchester

Some guys have already covered me important points so I'll just ask you what are you looking for from training?

Is it just something that is practical for modern self defence or are you specially interested in traditional jujutsu?

7. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

According to their history page , the founder started training in the 50s and put his style together about 10 years later.

8. Dean Winchester

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH_EYeU1ozI&sns=em"]Kyushin Ryu Ju Jitsu West Sussex - YouTube[/ame]

Not my cup of tea and it just looks like the typical generic jujutsu that's splattered about the UK.

9. Dean Winchester

Read their history a little closer. :)

Also regradless of what is written on their website nothing else about it looks Koryu and keep in mind that whilst the term koryu can cover a wide range of styles it still has a specific meaning. You can have traditional styles and them not be koryu, Aikido and Judo would be well known examples.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  10. bassai

I only watched the first technique , that was enough , I'm not keen on his assertion that the strike would "destroy" the muscle , also , I'm not sure the elbow would "break" that easily

11. Dean Winchester

and apparently uke's off hand will never be a threat so er let's ignore it.

12. FunnyBadger

To me that says he started learning judo in the 1950s moved into karate then aikido then after 10 years started learning aikido when his friends opened a dojo. With said friend he quickly picked up jujutsu and began teaching it. To me that doesn't say he learned judo, karate and aikido then combined what he knew and called it jujutsu.

If someone who know more than me doesn't think its koryu then fair enough, the arguments on what is and isn't koryu are not something I'm overly familiar with.

I am in total agreement though about the quality of the stuff not something I would want to study my self.

13. Dean Winchester

"soon we had clubs in West Sussex as well our native Kent so the name Kent Ju Jitsu Clubs didn't seem quite right so the name "Kyushin Ryu Ju Jitsu" was chosen by the club coaches as the name we would be known by from this time onwards".

They've approriated the name it seems.

It bears no resemblance to any koryu I've seen, even if it has some distant connection to an authentic system it's not transmitted as one now.

14. FunnyBadger

Ok fair enough, I obviously missed that bit.

I feel a little bit silly now lol

15. Dean Winchester

I missed it too :D

Even went so far as to check with someone in Japan about the school because it just didn't add up. :eek:

16. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Poor throws ...

17. bassai

Smurf has spoken , that's enough for me

18. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Lurking...no internet for 2 weeks ..just catching up quickly. ?

application of locks not great. Had a perfectly good wrist lock and transitioned out of it into a not so good arm bar ...

19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Old stuff taught well can be full of good principles but out of modern day context, modern jujutsu thats been tested and evolved and not just made up can be amazing but has to be adjusted a little too for SD context.

The best modern jujutsu is judo, sambo or, BJJ and will always be grapple heavy.

20. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Hmmm...Well I looked at the entire web site and heres my two cents, which by the way Im hesitant to give without seeing them practice in person. First Im going to give ya the cons of what I saw, lets start with those belt tests, I didnt like the format at all, the techniques themselves were ok I guess but I didnt like the labels they used for grouping them. I dont see why you would have to have a test that was that long, and I know that happens alot however I find that to be an intellectually exclusive art and I dont like that.
    The second thing I didnt like was the way the web site was set up, I mean it was good but I didnt like it, I feel like it could have been a little sharper and a little more basic.
    The pros, the pros are that they just might train the right way, by that I mean that although I think the syllibus is overwealming for a lot of people there is the chance that they train the technique in such a way that you actually learn effective martial arts.
    Id go for a trial class couldnt hurt if you think your intrested.