Problem with My Right Cross

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Pretty In Pink, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

This has started happening recently, and it's never been a problem until now:

When I punch a pad with my right hand (a cross) my wrist comes out of alignment and folds downwards. I have to really focus to make sure it doesn't happen.

I sometimes wear handwrap alternatives (the glove kind) but I have never worn handwraps before. It has only happened in the last two months.

Also, it doesn't hurt.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Any other instability in your wrist? When lifting etc?

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Other than the simple explanation - that you have injured it without knowing it and it is now folding under added pressure - it sounds like your body alignment may be off - have you been hitting harder? As you get better the structural chain has a habit of highlighting areas that are not correctly "set"

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Any chance of a quick video, Chadderz?

It could be something as simple as a raised elbow causing the wrist to turn over.

It could be the shoulder turning too far and it could be the rear foot staying "in the bucket", which would cause the shoulder turn.

5. Pretty In Pink

I haven't lifted all summer, I'll be back at it in college next week and I'll let you know.

I'm not always hitting harder I think. Perhaps I am.

Sorry for the vagueness guys.

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Elbow would be the first thing I'd check.

Does it happen when your well into a session and getting tired, or is it right from the start?

Mitch

7. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Change of pads, pad holder, or gloves?

8. Pretty In Pink

Same pad holder, changed gloves, happened around the same time, perhaps there is something there. I'll check my elbow tonight. It's happening right at the start of the session, doesn't happen during sparring.

9. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

just a thougt, but are you closing your fist properly? a fully clenched fist tends towards a fully neutral wrist position and shouldn't fold (if it does in that case, then it's probably elbow or shoulder alignment)

10. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

It might be the change in gloves. I have a student whom when she uses her own gloves her hand tends to bend inward at the wrist when she hooks and crosses. When she wears my gloves she doesn't have this issue as badly (though it's worth noting she is still a novice).

Have you tried wrapping more around the wrist to alleviate the bending when punching?

11. Pretty In Pink

Another thing I'll look out for when I'm hitting pads.

Honestly my wrist feels weak, but I can't tell if its physical or in my head.

12. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

If you feel your wrists are weak, maybe it might be worth using a wrist roller in your spare time to help strengthen them?

I'd parrot what others have said about checking the position of the elbow/shoulder alignment/making sure the wrist isn't bent slightly.

13. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Sounds like a pad holding thing
    If it's ok on the bag then give your pad man a kick up the bottom

14. Pretty In Pink

Same on the bag. Tried aligning my elbow a little tonight, seemed to help. I'll report back on Monday with more info.

15. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

There is a simple test you can do, Chadderz.

Stand with your right side against the wall and throw the right cross.

You'll notice immediately if the elbows flares at the start of the movement.

16. Pretty In Pink

It's a combination of things I think. Holding the pads at the proper height has solved a lot of the problems, including forcing me to punch straighter.