Training Without a School

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by PlumPunch, Aug 28, 2014.

1. PlumPunch

PlumPunch New Member

I recently stumbled upon a group in my area, via Craigslist, that's going to meet at members homes and train together. Most of the guys have some experience,and one even ran a school before moving to our area. First meeting is this Saturday.

Anybody have any experience with this type of an arrangement? I did something similar about a decade ago. It was a great learning experience, but the group disbanned after a few months.

2. johngill

johngill New Member

Advert removed - please see the ToS about advertising on MAP.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
  3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Is this some kind of 2 man spamming operation.

1 guy sets them up and the other knocks them down?

4. johngill

johngill New Member

No spam mate

5. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Not sure whether there's actually something weird going on here or I've cooked my risotto with the wrong mushroom... :thinking:

6. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

conspiracy

7. PlumPunch

PlumPunch New Member

No spam, it's a legit question.

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Training as an informal group works really nicely if the people in the group are experienced or (if as is the case here) one of the group used to be an instructor. Those kind of groups are often not a great environment for beginners as there isn't a structured training programme to teach them the basics.

9. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

I've done something like that for a while. It didn't work very well because everyone was there hoping to improve their own abilities and had little time for beginners, but it was fun and definitely better than no training at all.
    It should be much easier if you're not a total beginner though - or you might be lucky and find someone keen on teaching. Just make sure that everything that has to do with money is decided beforehands.
    On the downside, I'm not sure whether you can compete, if that's something you're interested in.

10. PlumPunch

PlumPunch New Member

I competed years and years ago. It's something I miss, but I've been out of training so long I'm just psyched to get back to it. I'd have to research the local agencies that host tournaments to find out.

11. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

There is a JKD grouo near me that meets like that because the teacher, who was also briefly my teacher, moved out of the area. It is a great group of guys and if I trusted my knees to do JKD I'd go train with them

12. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Spam comments are aimed at John Gill.

I'd personally be a bit wary of CraigsList full stop. Is there a reason you'd rather not attend a club? MAP can be a helpful resource to find one near you.

13. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

I essentially lead a group like this. I've been training outside of schools for the last five years. (I have been offered arrangements to move this group to an actual school, but I've found I prefer this small, private group and each time I've found I can't go through with it). The main thing I would say is, if you are not instructor level, hook up with someone who is and who will teach you with a structured curriculum. If you are an instructor yourself, then teach others to keep up your own skill. If you have this you will probably learn better than in a public school, but if not and it's just a bunch of dudes doing their own thing...then not so much.

...oh yeah, and meet people from craigslist at a public place first. I've had good luck with Craigslist, but I've had to wade through about two thirds of the people who were not a good fit. If you are looking into a private group that doesn't' screen people, then that in and of itself might be a red flag.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  14. PlumPunch

PlumPunch New Member

Mainly time and money. I work a lot and have kids who are all into their own extracurriculars, including a daughter who starting kyokushin soon. So I need aomething cheap (or in this case free) and flexible. I run, lift and do bag work on my own, so this is a cool way to get another workout and learn some stuff.

The people I've contacted so far include a former karateka who's big into yoga, a former school owner with black belts in shotokan and aikido, and a couple of bjj guys looking do old school Gracie style training with different arts.

It might be a great group, they all might be terrible or I may end up dismembered and disposed of in various dumpsters around town. Here's to hoping.

Like I said in an earlier post, I did something similar and learned a ton. The guy who lead the group was a wing chung/jkd guy with no experience with locks, kicks or grappling. I showed him what little I know, and he did the same to me. He ended up becoming an instructor in 10th Planet Jujitsu and running a local mma promotion.

15. PlumPunch

PlumPunch New Member

If I made a joke about John Gill rubbing folks the wrong way, would anyone get it?

16. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Train in Kyokushin with your daughter. Problem solved.

17. PlumPunch

PlumPunch New Member

I work nights. Besides, that would give her an excuse to punchme. Don't need that.

18. adol22

adol22 New Member

Hmmm I dunno, it all seems a little sketchy for me. But I don't know. If you did it in the past, maybe it works for you? But I feel that there are too many questions left up in the air. Like what styles are going to be developed/trained? Are they in line with what you want to do? Also, these guys who have experience, you should check with what. It's always good to train with knowledgeable people, but not with those who claim to know and don't. I think you need to do a little more investigation before jumping into something like this.

Also, i've noticed you posted this a while back. Have you gone to any of the meetups yet?

19. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

Why not do kyokushin with your daughter? Family martial arts can help you both and school usually off family deals

20. PlumPunch

PlumPunch New Member

The group has met a few times, but tomorrow will be my first visit. Looking forward to it.