MAP Meet 2017

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Scott, that's real kind of you.

Keep it as it is and I'll just be available should someone not be able to make it.

I'm happy being videographer for the day.

2. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

No worries, chap.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Haha, I'm serious! I want to donate blood seeing as it's blood cancer. I could do it the week before I get on the plane?

4. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I'd be up for that.

5. Simon

I'll make some enquiries.

I'm with Mitch on the 28th and will discuss it.

6. Simon

Becoming a blood donor is awesome and I have emailed Bloodwise as to their thoughts on what else they'd recommend.

To register to be a blood donor in the UK go to https://www.blood.co.uk/

There are permanent and community based centres and you can find out where they are here.

Chadderz, for Scotland visit this link.

By supporting this cause you will:

1. Fund research into cures, for every type of blood cancer.
    2. Develop better tests, so people can get a more accurate diagnosis, more quickly.
    3. Help Bloodwise raise awareness of blood cancer.
    4. Provide expert information and practical support, for every person affected by blood cancer.

5. Get to shake hands with Smurf.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I tried to give blood a few times but I don't bleed enough.
    You have to fill a bag within a set time and my body doesn't do it. :(

8. Simon

Scott has a large scalpel. He could help. :D

9. Pretty In Pink

Cheers Simon. I'll try and donate after my next fight. It will probably be full of adrenaline though

10. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I admit, I only took a quick and short look at the Bloodwise-Homepage.

I'm just wondering since it's for blood cancer - in Germany we have the DKMS, which works worldwide as I understood it (I admit here as well: I didn't spent as much time reading about it, as I maybe should have).
    Why I mention that: They send out kits wit which you can become a potential donator for someone suffering from blood cancer.
    They basically send you a cotton swab, you take a swab from the inside of your cheek and send it back (again: As far as I know. But that's how it's explained in the TV commercial).

Now we come to an "I have heard" passage, so I don't have sources for it without looking: But apparently whole clubs joined them this way, by going through that during some sort of event.

Might be worth a thought, if there is something similar in the UK?

As to the potential sparring: In case they're were to be a timeslot, is that something, where the beginners could join as well?
    Obviously I can only speak for myself, but seeing how I block a lot of times, with my face, I thought asking might not hurt :) ;)

11. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

If it were to happen it would be beginner friendly. It would be a lesson including drills etc not just sparring. Specific equipment would have to be worn for protection though.

Simon just as a heads up. The schedule does allow for it as I have two sessions currently, one of which is at the end (which would be the best ideally). So really I'd say it's whether event insurance covers it.

Also I may have a world champion Thai Boxer, and a good friend, coming down to run my sessions. He's thinking about it and looking into whether he can commit or not, though no promises at this stage. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  12. Pretty In Pink

Yeah I make an excellent punch bag for beginners. This whole event is supposed to be accessible to be accessible to people who have literally just walked in and it's their first day, so maybe am introduction to sparring class?

13. ScottUK

Exactly that.

We plan to introduce people to swordsmanship, dispel some of the myths of the sword and teach some cool techniques that I believe will also help people with their own understanding of budo.

We will have a few bokuto available, but anyone who wishes to take part in the sword classes is welcome to bring their own.

Simon, can you keep us appraised of numbers please? Do you pre-book people into groups or is it decided on the day?

14. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I do spar regularly in class, I'm just not especially (cough) good and I and don't use kicks enough.
    But since I do it, I have most protection gear.

I do have mouthguard, gloves (closed and open ones), foot protectors, shin protectors and a pelvic protector (which I prefer not to wear, since at times it makes me having problems with my hurt groin, but I think it's not as important as it would be for male partners; and I'm looking for another one anyway).
    What I don't have is head gear (so far).

But first it's waiting, if the insurance would even make it possible anyway, I did not overread that part ^^

Great, I love living heavy bags ;)
    I might follow you arround like a puppy, just to try it ;)

I do the same with two of my teachers and end up on the ground all the time, because they use joint locks, throws or whatever and I'll never learn, so... ;)

15. Pretty In Pink

I've got a spare head guard. I wore it once but it's a shade too small for me. As long as your head is smaller than mine it should be okay. If not I'll just donate it to the raffle. It's child-sized...

16. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I'd like to say otherwise - but child-siye should actually fit perfectly :eek: :rolleyes:
    We have regular ones at our club and they end up being everywhere on my head, just not there where they are supposed to be :eek: :D

17. Pretty In Pink

Well then it'd yours. It's a boxing/muay thai one so it will be heavier and thicker though. See how you like it. I only spar with head gear in boxing because it's a requirement.

18. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Steve and Scott both taking groups? I'd have been there like a shot if I was healthy and could get the time off work. Nearly 14 years on MAP and I still haven't made it to a meet. One day though...

19. ScottUK

投げ a sickie.

See what I did there? :)

20. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I will PM you in a few minutes; hope that's okay.

We're not required to wear them all the time, but we also only do light not full contact.
    The coach wants to change that a bit though: Not necessarily getting much harder (we might only do light contact, but it can make your head ring anyway), but he suggested to get one at some point (he told us for Christmas. In January :D )