What about CrossFit?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Nachi, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Well, this isn't what I really wanted answered, but of course, thank you for your opinion. I am sure there is plenty of activities for everything, but for me it generally epends on what I enjoy and have the motivation to do. The gym is in the distance to throw a rock from my window - the sole reason I tried - and that's an advantage still. I like the variety of stuff done there - cardio (well, I don't particularly like cardio, but that's probably why I also should get better at it) and strenght and more technical stuff. I see people there being very fit, which is motivating, too. Basically, I am already determined to continue, so.... that's about it :D
    I know there are people to think all the bad stuff about CrossFit and honestly I don't know enough to judge. It is not the cheapest thing, but I can save money and time by not travelling anywhere.

2. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

If you enjoy it more power to you. I just think that there are more effective ways to become more fit.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

The only bad thing about crossfit, is overly ambitious members getting injured (sometimes from poor coaching) As long as long as you avoid that, the weight lifting and endurance work will get you superfit, superfast.

keep your eyes open and enjoy it!

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

The most effective exercise, is the one you actually do.

5. AndrewTheAndroid

Yeah, but you don't train for a 10k by doing bench presses. Sure there is some crossover between all the aspects of fitness. But if you want to improve any area of your fitness levels then you are better off doing exercises that are geared towards that goal.

6. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

And Crossfit utilizes a great variety of exercises to develop different areas. More proficient coaches program it better and get better results, less proficient ones program randomly and don't get squat done, and advanced/competitive athletes specialize and periodize to better improve all those areas after having built a good base of General Physical Preparation (which is what CF is based around at the end of the day and tests through high-performance at its competitions). It also accomplishes this in what is generally a very fun and supportive group atmosphere that enables a lot of socialization and bonding through common toil, which, although not for everyone, is generally a massive plus over training solo for a great many people.

7. AndrewTheAndroid

I don't think you have to wait until you are advanced/competing to specialize and periodize. You can improve your general fitness base by specializing in different aspects of fitness at once. If the advanced athletes are specializing and periodizing then why wouldn't beginners. Both those methods are great tools that can be used by anyone of any fitness level.

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

Because they are developing GPP first; because since they are beginners no one has any idea of where they should specialize yet; because they may simply not want to if they're not aiming to compete or looking for high-performance in any specific discipline (and if anything, high-performance is to be avoided unless needed or wanted, because it's one of the least healthy ways to train, at least for some disciplines)

9. AndrewTheAndroid

Beginners should be able to start where ever they want. People that have low fitness levels can pick any aspect of fitness they want to improve and they will see benefits within a few months. It doesn't make sense for them to wait to do something like strength training because they can't run fast enough.

But that wasn't my original point anyway. My point was that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to retool exercises from what they were geared to do.

10. Nachi

^ Yep, my case.

WhitePanda,
    I understand there are always many ways to get fit, to get better at running, at lifting, as well as there are many different MAs. I don't really care even if CrossFit isn't the best way to get the cardio up quickly or to be able to lift as best as I could as soon as I could. I have no such goals, competing in anything isn't my goal. Sure, getting generally stronger and fitter sounds nice to me and I don't see why I wouldn't be able to do that by CrossFitting, since every training is a big challenge for me and I see people who do it for longer to have impressive strenght/endurance or whatever. I am not looking to compete and I am not in a hurry to get specific results soon. My original concern was just to not get too fat :)

I do things becasue I enjoy them and since I have a desk job to move a bit and stay healthy. And I have discovered that I am rarely able to train by myself hard enough. I tend to stop soon unless someone checks on me and makes me work longer and take the heavier weight. I am just a lazy person and need that boss over me to make me work hard enough (yep, that's the sort of person I am and the coaches at the gym already discovered that). :D The exercising in a group is good to compare myself with others and see that I have space for improvement and simply to see some people after working alone most of the day. And having some co-suferers to complain about the hard work-out isn't bad, either :D

So I don't mind even if CrossFit isn't the best thing in every aspect. If you told me my karate won't get me to be the best fighter or a wrestler out there, I really wouldn't care. As another comparison, I draw daily and if you told me tracing photos would be a faster way to do stuff, I wouldn't change my ways because I want to get good at what I do and how I do it. Just because. And activities like CrossFit are a hobby to me. If I enjoy something, why change it? Maybe at some point I might if I feel like it, but I just started and want to get a bit more of it. I think CrossFit has a lot to teach me.

I do aprreciate your opinion, but I will still go by mine ^^

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  11. Nachi

That's what I wanted to write :D

Thank you, I will :)

12. AndrewTheAndroid

I'm sorry but I can not understand your idea. If you enjoy something why would you not want to get better at it? I'm not talking about competition or high level performance.

13. Nachi

No, that's not it. I do want to get better, that's why I still want to continue with it.... That is probably a misunderstanding. Why do you think that? I probably didn't explain myself too well somewhere...

14. AndrewTheAndroid

Don't think that! It's just a misunderstanding. I can't always understand people no matter how well they express themselves!