I am interested in Silat, but i need help

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Besuto, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Besuto

Besuto Valued Member

Hey guys im interested in silat, but it is really hard to find one here in toronto. I'd like to learn more about knife combat.

Could anyone recommend me a place near toronto or in ontario thats not too far away?

Thank-you! Much help appreciated.

PS. would judo/jiu jutsu be something good to take after learning knife combat? What would be good to continue? i am also interested in arnis/kali/eskrima.

2. medic

medic New Member

Go to www.tekpi.org and under instructors is contact info for Thom Barnett.

3. Besuto

Besuto Valued Member

Thank-you very much medic.

I am still looking for more schools teaching any form of Silat in Ontario, or hopefully near the Toronto or North York region. (Just in case i am not able to attend to www.tekpi.org classes because of schedules,etc.)

4. Besuto

Besuto Valued Member

hey medic, is that site updated? I sent an email to Thom Barnett but had not gotten a reply on where to find a Toronto silat school. I sent it more than a week ago. Could he possibly have a way to contact him?

5. medic

medic New Member

Thom is an entertainer so he may be out of the country at present. He was for last winter and I have been too busy to hook up with him at present between Sayoc and Dekiti Tirsia. Your best bet is to email Omar Hakim on that site as he is the gent that brought Tekpi to North America and Thom is a friend of his so he may know his whereabouts at the present time.

Shaun

6. Besuto

Besuto Valued Member

Thank-you for your information, I have just emailed Omar Hakim and will wait until I get a reply. I will post back more details when I receive new mail.

Thank-you again!

7. jacklabelle

jacklabelle New Member

Pencak Silat in Missasauga

psehca.com pencak silat Richard Eric in Missasauga

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Just to point this out: the question was from 6 years ago

9. jacklabelle

jacklabelle New Member

You know,

Better later than never. Maybe he has been looking for the answer for 6 years?

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I've been here for donkey's years and didn't recognize the username. I think he's been gone a while. That said, there's always the chance that someone else will come along with the same query. I just didn't want you expecting a reply from the OP. He's long gone, I'm afraid.

11. Zack

Zack New Member

Pencak silat ( knife combat technique )

Hi..i am zack from Malaysia. I am a silat praticioner. My girlfriend live in Toronto. There is a lot of silat styles. Knife combat is one of the combat technique which is normally can teach to senior pencak silat student. Thats a traditions. By the way, in modern era, everybody can learn knife combat technique. In here, there is a Professor in Martial arts espcially knife combat a.k.a SENI BELATI and KERAMBIT, travelling around the world to teach this. If u interested to learn knife combat u can email me and we can go from there. U also can fo your own research about this on youtube. His name is Prof Jak Othman. Here my email...strangely deleted. Maybe it's because I was a naughty boy and broke the site rules on advertising.

Thank you..;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2017
  12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Zack,

If you'd like to place an advert please contact Mitch or myself.

In reply to your post I'd say anyone can learn knife combat.

How many though can teach good knife awareness and the self defence programme that should be attached to it?

13. Zack

Zack New Member

I am sorry. I didnt mean to post any advert or promotion. As i said, in modern era, anybody can learn knife combat.

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Yes they can, but does that include knife awareness, backed up with a legally underpinned self defence system?

Knife combat to me means knife fighting and although there are some very good bladed systems they do include the defensive aspect.

Maybe it's a terminology thing, but it's not a term I'm comfortable with.