Fist Sensitivity

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by True Axiom, Jul 15, 2007.

1. True Axiom

True Axiom Walk softly and create.

Recently I've noticed I've had some sensitivity in my left knuckle. To be more specific, my pointer finger knuckle. Whenever I put pressure against it there is an immediate sense of pain. I believe there is a problem with the actual bone(Though nothing is actually broken).

I am not sure where the pain originated from, but I have an idea. To help train(and save money) I've made a "homemade" punching bag, which basically consists of a board of wood with an extra long pillow over one of the ends. It is padded well, so I am doubtful that there is where the pain originated.

Any ideas on how to remedy this?

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I would take a break from hitting things with that hand until the pain goes away. Don't make it worse!

3. Orangeseger

Orangeseger YouTube =/= Training

I'm not sure about how good of an idea that homemade thing is. Chances are because a pillow is much softer, it won't absorb the impact as well. I'm actually worried it might cause you to injure your wrist too. I would just save money, and get a proper bag later. (Save money on arthritis meds later on.) Or, you could by some cheap, well padded boxing gloves, and hit that pillow board thing, but even that is probably a poor substitute.

....Seriously, just get a bag. Sometimes sports stores have them really cheap. I went to Modell's about a year ago, and I got a 100 lb hanging bag for 20 bucks, because in that store they stopped carrying bags by that brand (TKO.)

Is the knuckle swollen a lot, or discolored. (Red, purple?)
    It might be a good idea to have it looked at, and you 1000% want to take a break from striking anything for a while.

4. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

1. Ask your teacher about saan gong exercises that you can do to stretch your hands out to prevent injury.

2. Do you use any sort of dit dat jow? Ask your instructor what he or she recommends. Be careful of open wounds.

3. Stop hitting what you are hitting. Get a proper heavy or wall bag, ask your instructor for a recommendation.

5. fighting13

fighting13 Valued Member

i have/had a problem similar to this but it was on my right hand on my little finger knuckle. only instead of hitting a board i hit the brick wall that i use to keep my free standing bag from falling over when i punch :bang:. anyway, i just stopped all punching with my right hand for a month and a half and its starting to feel better. just dont punch anything for awhile.