Bragging rights

Discussion in 'Celebrations!' started by aikiMac, Feb 19, 2017.

1. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

So, um, tooting my own horn, yes, but ... This week was my first week in the competitors' class as my boxing gym. You can't just sign up for that class. You have to test to get in. It's a crazy fitness test, because the intensity level is -- wow. It's a high-intensity class because it's for the people who actually compete.

The thing is, I'm pretty much old enough to be the father of everyone else in the class. They're all teenagers or in their 20's. I'm 45-1/2 and staying with them -- because I don't complain and I don't quit. I shut my mouth and I keep going until the coach says, "Get some water!"

I'm not the fastest and I'm not the strongest, not by a long shot, but I freakin' don't quit, and *that* has paid off. :D :D :D

I'm thinking about fighting this autumn ... for bragging rights. :D

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Well done man! What weight and rules? How are you finding your aikido blending with boxing?

3. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

total respect, getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative, congratulations on acting your age. long may you keep doing it.

4. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Nice one! Do you think you'll ever compete in boxing? Also, do you have any full contact experience yet? I've had a couple of hard spars but do mostly light sparring. I intend to have a full contact spar for about 3 rounds (if I last that long lol) this summer. Been doing just boxing for about a year.

5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Well done!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. ;)

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Get in!! Have fun dude.

7. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Awesome dude! I hope when I'm hitting my mid forties I'm in as good shape as you!

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Excellent :)

9. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Keep it up young man!! Don't let the relative youth of your compatriots hold you back!

:' D

LFD

10. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

If I do it it will be be USA Boxing, amateur class, 178 pounds. And obviously the "masters division" -- age 35+. I'm about 190 pounds now, but working on my soft tummy. There's certainly 12 pounds to be lost right there. ;)

I do find that aikido "floating" works well in the ring -- the evasive in and out, and sideways curving footwork, to both stay on him and to get him off. That aspect of boxing has been a lot easier to learn than, say, the upper-cut. (I still don't feel good about my upper-cut.) And I was already used to charging in ("irimi" motion, as in "irimi-nage") when I think there's an opening. So, that, too. Slipping punches was totally new but parrying with a glove on is very much like the first half of catching the wrist in aikido.

I did BJJ about 20 years ago, and went full-strength, full-speed in sparring enough to know what it's like, but I've never done it in a punching/kicking context, no. And in aikido I've taken plenty of hard throws, enough to be fully confident in my ability to get up off the sidewalk at least once, but I've never been smacked hard in the face. That's why I took up boxing now. What will happen when someone hits me hard? :dunno:

:D :D

11. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Awesome, chalk one up for the oldies!