Brazilian jujitsu or Japanese jujitsu (for a police officer)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rocketking, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Hannibal in his every day garb

and modest too

Attached Files:

2. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

I wonder if Mrs.Hannibal (if there is one?) would agree with that ???

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

My garb looks more like this....

[​IMG]

Obviously with more Tapout and Affliction logos on it

4. Alansmurf

LOL.

Attached Files:

5. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

I've seen blue belts teaching too in some more rural areas specifically where they were maybe "add-on" programs to some other styles. They also had the skills of well a blue belt but that doesn't mean they were teaching incorrectly. However, this still doesn't validate your statement about there are "plenty of atrocious BJJ schools and their unqualified instructors".

You still haven't named any and it is ok to admit that you were incorrect. I would respect that more.

Also for some reason you have in your mind that most BJJ practitioners are training as "MMA fighters" and that's just not correct. They are two separate and distinct things.

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I think I'll be visiting here a lot less.

And I can see why there's a lack of female posters if how johns been acting to me is typical of their experiences. You dig.

Which is not a line I ever expected to say.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That's your call, Fusen. Though my perception, for whatever that's worth, is that taking the bait was your only error here. Ignore him, the way he claimed to have ignored you (and clearly didn't).

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Women! Know your limits!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w[/ame]

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Duuuude (chick?) weaaak. If you go then who will "thank" my pointless posts? :(

10. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

What I meant in THAT context was that there are plenty of schools whose training methods I don't agree with for LEOs and their like. The art has to be adapted for those professions and not all instructors do an equally great job at that. When it comes to competitions, survival of domestic violence, or street self-defense, BJJ is a tremendous art and often taught at a very high caliber, yes.

I was not impressed by those videos Hannibal posted of BJJ handcuffing techniques. Getting wrapped up like that is the last place you want to be as a LEO, and there were numerous occasions where the right weapon's hip was exposed to potential threats, particularly from anyone approaching from behind. Maybe there was more to their training than the clip showcased, but when you're training handcuffing, I firmly believe you should be training from verbal engagement to positional training. Just to be in that top guard position like so many BJJ "cop training" videos showcase, you had to make several very stupid mistakes as a LEO. If it's legally permissible, your hand should either be covering your weapon hip or your weapon should be drawn at low-ready, and you should always instruct the person to kneel and face away from you with their fingers interlocked behind their head, or instruct them to lay prone, face down, palms up. Alternatively, you can instruct them to transition their own hands behind their prone belly position behind their back and interlock their fingers before cuffing.

I guarantee you many of those LEO videos I posted were trained by BJJ instructors. Now that doesn't necessarily reflect on bad instructors so much as bad students, but bad is bad, and the end result was obvious in my videos and Hannibal's arm break video.

In bodyguard work, it's less legally defensible to choke someone and that is a last resort technique. The same should be true of many police procedures in various jurisdictions. When you're trained to an amateur level and have no medical background, it's very easy to go too far and accidentally kill someone, especially when you have 3 equally badly trained coworkers on top of said person.

How many BJJ schools do you think teach chokes as a primary defense to LEOs, despite the issues I mentioned? If you don't believe that such an issue exists, I recommend becoming well-trained yourself in handcuffing techniques by the most qualified people in your country, and then going on a tour of BJJ seminars given to law enforcement.

I want to make it clear, I'm not anti-BJJ. I think BJJ is a great art, but the context in which it's taught is everything. If his local BJJ gyms account for the things I mention, the OP should absolutely train there. I strongly doubt they do, however.

11. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Both you and John have been hashing it out since i joined map...i don't get it. Tis almost as if you two intentionally disagree with one another. You two need to meet in person and throw down, get it done and over with. You both have valid opinions based on your own experienc.

12. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I did ignore him/her/it actually; and just like I stated took him/her/it off ignore because of another thread where there were repeated quotations that made it very confusing to follow the context of the conversation. Before I took Fusen off ignore, I made it abundantly clear that I was not interested in communicating with him/her/it further, and despite that, Fusen chose to misrepresent my original statement made here before I could put him/her/it back on ignore. Yet I'm the one doing the "baiting," evidently.

I suppose I somehow also "baited" Fusen in the ninjutsu subforum where he/she/it trolls, what with me being so dishonest and all.

I don't appreciate the implication that I lied when I did not. Does your forum not track when someone is placed on ignore? If it does, there will be an electronic receipt of the event.

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Dude. Don't use "it" to describe anyone.

14. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Give the "it" references a rest, you are now acting like an utter jerk.

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Putting someone on an Ignore list and then responding to them is not, in fact, ignoring. "He started it" doesn't actually help.

16. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Fusen put "would rather not say" under gender for a reason. That's a fairly big clue it isn't up for discussion, publicly or privately.

It's no-one's business, and frankly I find it a bit weird that anyone thinks it is.

And no, we don't track when people are added to ignore lists. We assume people can be grown ups about it and have better uses of our time :rolleyes:

17. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I actually just don't put identifiable personal data online, the MA world is full of strange people, so its prudent not to.

But I agree its not anyones business online what gender etc anyone is.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  18. Alansmurf

Fusen

and you shouldnt have to

Smurf

19. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Indeed. The world is full of strange people full stop.

Even if you just plain don't want to, why should that be questioned. Whatever your reasons are for doing it are yours and yours alone.

20. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

As a former Officer first off congratulations and good luck!! Being a cop is both extremely rewarding as well as highly stressful.

Second, when you enter the academy you will be taught what's called Defensive Tactics, which does include components of Judo, and Jiu-Jitsu.

Last, my advice is actually neither!! Our job as officer's isn't to grapple on the ground with a suspect nor try to break a limb. So both Brazilian and Japanese Jujitsu is a no, no, for most officer's. Then again so is Karate, Tae Kwon Do, and other Martial Arts. With that said, you want a system that will help you gain control of a violent suspect as well as give you the upper hand in a violent conflict. So here's my advice as far as Martial Art systems goes. Seek out a system which emphasizes both Street and Practical techniques, (I.E. Kajukenbo, Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, Arrestling, Taejukabo, or Defensive Tactics). These systems all include both stand up and ground techniques which every officer needs to be successful in a conflict. Both Brazilian and Japanese jujitsu will not do anything to prepare you for the violence on the streets. Both are more or less nowdays sport which means they focus on one on one in the ring, rather then one on two or one on three, or one vs weapons, or vs the street elements. So my advice is seek out a system which emphasizes both stand up, ground, weapon defense (and use), and is both Street Practical and accepted by your department. (Remember MOST Police Departments will not accept any Martial Arts training as Police Training, nor will they back you up if you use Martial Arts in a use of force conflict which is not Department approved. (Defensive Tactics is approved by ALL Law Enforcement Departments).

In conclusion, as a Defensive Tactics Instructor (yes, there is a difference between DT and MA!) I would strongly recommend you focus on your state and department Defensive Tactics, rather then seeking out Judo or Jujitsu systems which may not work nor be approved to begin with.
    Good Luck!!!! :)

* Please be advised I'm not putting down any Judo or Jujitsu System, as I have studied and practiced both Japanese and Brazilian Jujitsu Systems myself. I'm merely speaking from the Law Enforcement point of view!!