Strengthening the quads

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bozza Bostik, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i know many people swear by partial leg extensions (only the last bit of the full ROM for strengthening the vastus medialis (innie head of the quad). pretty sure paul from lift run bang used them to rehab his own leg. buuuut he was alreadystrong enough from squats to move the whole stack, so still probably best to try that with very light weight at first, as with most new exercises

2. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Yeah but you're only 12 :hat:

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i did single leg top range partials to fix up my knee after ligament damage.
    most the s&c coaches and physios ive worked with or shadowed like poliquin step ups and hip rep single leg extension top range partials

4. Da Lurker

Da Lurker Valued Member

sorry, i forgot: ANKLE MOBILITY exercises.

boris, did you read the article i linked? you wouldn't get your tibia angled if you have tight ankles.

besides, if something in the hip or ankle is off, the knee and the other one (either hip or ankle) will be forced to compensate.

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

ankle mobility would help if your an avid runner.

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Surely box jumps as well? Or is that more for explosiveness?

Try a squat challenge?
    Day 1 = 10 squats
    Day 2 = 15 or 20 squats etc etc

7. Nolan Froese

Nolan Froese Valued Member

There's too much that we can't see here. I'd get a second opinion and see a strength coach.

8. Nolan Froese

Nolan Froese Valued Member

As for the leg extensions, full range of motion with light weight. Heavy weight might kill your knees.

9. righty

righty Valued Member

Funnily enough I've got my new program. Coach said I need to work more on quad strength. Front squat and trap bar deads it is.

10. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Ima go right ahead and I turn that comment. I am now among the people who can't do them, clearly they have a very short shelf life in anyone's training repitoir. I did 2 sets and felt them for a week in the old leg benders.

I've been playing with a kind of advanced free standing sissy squat, not a clue what is called I pinched it from Ido portals videos. I'll try to find a vid, if someone my weight could do 8-10 reps id reason they'd have pretty big quads.