Wrestling comp

Discussion in 'Competitors Corner' started by Mushroom, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Today I had a freestyle wrestling comp.

It was a warm up comp before a big one in Lancashire. As some of you may know, due to age/time management/injuries, I have been playing the idea of scrapping competing altogether.

So have to say its a bittersweet ending.

I got in and went straight for it, I got taken down but managed to reverse and got myself a dominant position. As I had the back my hand was gripped tightly under the body of my opponent. I pulled and pulled and that hand went nowhere. I even used the dirty tactic of swinging and bashing till he let go.
    By the time I pulled out my hand, it was a mangled mess.

At first I thought it was a bad sprain. Went to my corner, got some tape and splinted my fingers together.

Finished the round down on points adjusting for wrestling 1 handed and my grip is gone.

Got into the second round and at this point Im just a pure counter fighter with a sluggish shoot. A moment of genius came when I judo throwed and rolled over my opponent. I finished the match in dominant position.
    The whistle blew and I felt relief.

Looked at the board and I saw I lost on points...I was one big throw behind.

I got an icepack and began freezing my hand as much as possible. The telling click sound worried me and my misshapen knuckle were the tell tale signs of a broken hand.

A hospital confirmed this and although I'm in good spirits... my run is over. I'm done.

I've cancelled my entry at the bigger event in November where I was determined to give my all. Booked off time from work, and planned a month's training schedule.

But with a possible 8 week healing time plus 2 months physio...if i dont get pins inserted. I wont recover in time and as a aspiring artist, I knew my sport would one day get me

Today was that day.

I only wish I went out fighting harder.

On a lighter note....!

Cake! Caaaaaaaake!!!!!!!

2. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Sorry to hear about that. That is pretty rough, but I'm impressed you managed to do that well in your match with a broken hand through most of it. Take it easy and rest up.

Do you do any competing in the other arts you do? Maybe later if you have the big competitive jones you could do something with one of those?

3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

CAKE FOR THE CHAMPION

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I saw the picture on Instagram this morning.

Get well soon, Mushroom.

5. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Boomer its time to come to the dark side and train with me and my type ...the elder lemons !!!

Get well soon buddy

Smurf:hat:

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Good luck with the stage of your MA journey, bud.

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Pix!

Attached Files:

8. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Sorry to hear this man :(

Nevertheless, good fighting spirit! Heal well!

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Damn...when I saw the piccie on facebook I thought you'd done it striking.
    Breaking your hand in grappling is a new one on me.

10. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Funny thing as horrible as the pic looks it won't really hamper you that much. I speak sort of from experience. I have tumors in my hand that make it look like someone shot a bullet through my fingers sideways. Only discovered this when I bumped my hand on the steering wheel one day and crumpled in a heap on the ground trying not to scream. Seems I had broken my finges because of the weird angle and the inherent weakness.

Long story short I have broken them a few times and now they don't bother me at all. After breaking them I took up playing rugby again (at 50) and after having played probably over 150 games I can report I haven't had a twinge or anything.

You may well be able to go back to wrasslin' or other contact sports if that's what you really want to do. With your injury record I would suggest that you consider expanding your artistic (and take up tattooing if you want to cause someone pain!) .

Touch break mate but know you'll be back to something sooner or later!

LFD