Suggestions on a style to begin training.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by AshlandAether, Sep 8, 2014.

1. AshlandAether

AshlandAether New Member

I'm more interested in self defense than i am in conditioning. If one of the elders could help me out with some knowledge i would be grateful . I'de like to begin training in a style that
    1. maximizes (control of opponent, potential non lethal incapacitation, and lethality) but minimizes the amount of stress my ailing joints and slow musles have to take on. basically a highly economy of energy martial art.

2. (this may require a different style training).. has techniques from the outside that focus on defensiveness and personal safety then using a strike to distract disorient or throw of balance the opponent for a high intensity short duration flurry from the inside.

at this point i'm looking into
    aikijutsu and ninpo to fulfill number one maybe juijitsu but i prefer to stand.
    and
    for number two i'm thinking
    western style boxing, savate, bartitsu if thats a real thing , also hoping there is a kung fu style . and what about SPEAR and those military styles...

I'm looking to narrow my scope and start looking for teachers.

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Do you have any prior experience training? Have you looked to see what's available in your area? It's really easy for someone to say "Hey man, Tibetan Yak Chucking is the best martial art, do that," but if there's no such place available near you, you're better off looking at something else. Further, there tends to be a large variance even within styles as to how and why they train. One Tae Kwon Do joint might be a glorified day care center, with free pickup and drop off after school and movie nights, while another might be focussed on prepping fighters for intense competition in K1 or the Olympics. It can be really confusing to start with, but if you post some links as to where you're looking, I'm sure everyone will weigh in.

3. AshlandAether

AshlandAether New Member

I trained at Ed Parkers kempo in Pasadena for 4 years as a teen. And i've lost many street fights mostly while outnumbered since then . I'm 29. I'm back and forth from Pasadena and San Dimas Ca. There are a lot of interesting schools out in west LA but I have no car. If something is impressive and fitting enough I would devote a day to make it out to the westside and train.

4. philosoraptor

I think that'll really limit your choices. Maybe do a search on google about what gyms are around the area, let us know, and we can offer our opinions on them :]

5. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I'd question your life-style, if you're getting into 'many' streetfights against multiple opponents...

6. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Shameless Kajukenbo plug. With your background in Kempo, you could try Kajukenbo, which uses Kenpo as a base style. It's a self defense martial art that is meant for when you're already in a confrontation. It's a very hard (force vs force) martial art but that will also depend on the branch your school is affiliated with. I know there are a large amount of Kajukenbo schools in LA but I'm not very sure exactly where you are in that city, and given you don't have a car it'd have to be quite close to you.

7. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Philosoraptor hit the nail on the head, It would be more realistic to see what systems are local to your area as you will be more inclined to stay with your training after the initial honeymoon period wares off, and it will at some point.

I personally from what I have read would look around for a good Judo dojo
    1) Normally is widespread and cheap
    2) lots of good resistive training which is essential rather than just drills and compliant training and will teach you how to cope under increasing pressure
    3) covers the holds/submissions/throws you are interested in.
    4) Some dojos will train Jujitsu as well
    5) Nothing hits harder than the planet.

Cheers

Dan

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Martial arts in San Dimas?

[​IMG]

9. AshlandAether

AshlandAether New Member

about 10 late night stompings by multiple ****ed off drunks.

done... I used to drink beers and then use my hightened eloquence college rhetoric major and intuitive button pushing to tell strangers what i thought of them.

I drink earl grey tea now. :hat:

10. AshlandAether

AshlandAether New Member

east los angeles county martial arts seach

I found
    Azuza Bujinkan
    Glendora Kajukenbo i'll email the instructor i think they are out of business
    Musubi Dojo Aikido in claremont
    Pasadena Aikido at the Japanese culture center
    and a lady named Judo in charter oak .

so audit a lesson? take a lesson, see if I have good rapport with instuctor? see if I like the results produced in their intermediate and advanced students. is that about how a student goes about choosing a school . taking into account whats comfortable and fun .
    thanks for all the advice.

11. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Go to: http://elitemmagym.com/
    Bas Rutten teaches there. El Guapo!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5fjmu4899c"]Bas Rutten Street Defense - The Better Version - YouTube[/ame]

12. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Wait... Doesnt Dan Inosanto teach in LA?? Is this near to you... Sorry Englishman here and not familar with your geography.

Inosanto Academy of Martial Arts
    13348-13352 Beach Ave.
    Marina Del Rey, CA 90292

If so, he is one of the most respected teachers in the world and has forgotten more about MA than most people learn in their careers...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  13. philosoraptor

I'd go with a lady named Judo over the rest of those.

14. Vegas

Vegas New Member

Bas Rutten...Good suggestion...mostly... :)

Tea drinking and learning to 'not over-share' your (probably wrong) opinions will certainly reduce that number of lost fights...and reduce the number of fights in general, as well. LOL

Real life fighting techniques, I consider essential...and I agree, if Bas Rutten is in your area, and you are transportation-challenged, it would be a Great Option!

Just keep in mind...Bas Rutten, is an old-school bar bouncer/fighting style. Nothing wrong with that, it is a BIG part of MY history (Hey, I went out to bars/clubs 5-7 nights a week in a 'factory town' area growing up...I thought it was normal way of life, then.) Having a 'mixed history' of self defense and the ability to apply it in 'real life' made a big difference (never lost a fight).

That said, I am a big fan of non-violence whenever possible...but I am also a fan of 'If someone gets in your face/challenges you, you don't back down' It has to resolved in one of two ways...THEY back down, or THEY go down. Anything else is a sign of weakness and empowers them to attack you.

Rule for 'bars' or 'on the street' confrontations...never turn your back, never back down...resolve it with words or remove yourself and/or associates by safely putting distance and leaving.

If talking it out, or putting a safe distance, doesn't seem like a good/safe possibility...unfortunately, some people only understand the language of superior force/skills (read: Shock and/or Pain)...especially if drunk and/or stupid. It is much better to be the 'winner' in a confrontation with these people. But 'Roadhouse' and some Bas Rutten actions will only get you sued for extreme $...so, I suggest inflicting pain as an effective deterrence over breaking of bones (smacking a face on a table, knocking them out or a sudden dose of 'Holy Crap that hurt and I didn't see it coming') ...versus lawsuits and jail time.

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

There is nothing wrong with backing down and apologising, it's normally the best option. Anything else is escalation and aggravating.

I have never ever been in a fight in a club, bar or other place that sells alcohol late at night.

16. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

this is a recipe for disaster. not only for you but for others. it's fine to talk tough on the internet, but nothing good can come of this attitude in reality.

17. Vegas

Vegas New Member

Please be open to learning...and not simply re-stating Not true...but, as you admitted, you are NOT experienced in the club/bar fight scene...and people who have not been there only fantasize about what it would be like. What I shared is based on many 'real life' scenarios, not guessing.

First: Yes, If YOU were wrong...said something or did something wrong...absolutely, apologize (admit your error) and express your desire to not create a problem, just made a mistake, etc.

Beyond that...typically, if someone is 'getting in your face' aggressively in a bar or on the street...it with the full intent of causing you harm (many reasons for this, not necessary to expound on such, here) then backing down can cause more harm, literally, than good.

"Anything else is escalation and aggravating'...is not true, in fact backing down encourages them.

Backing down and apologizing typical results:
    Those who are 'aggressively in search of a fight' see someone 'apologizing and backing down' as encouragement to continue their aggression...it reinforces their belief that you are the weak/spineless person they targeted in the first place.

Standing your ground, confidently and politely:
    However, if you stand your ground, politely-yet-firmly and addressing the issue from a position of strength/confidence (not resorting to the same foul language and or raised voice, but politely and calmly responding back: with Firm Confidence), they typically reassess you as 'not a spineless person' and they move on/back down.

Again, NOT Speculation...but real life experience from across the country (East coast, West, South, etc).
    FYI: I have not only been the bar patron, but the bar security (much like the Bas Rutten fella, just with more restraint and less interest in causing permanent harm (as demonstrated by Bas Rutten in the video that was posted earlier).

18. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

What you seam to be advocating is assertiveness which In my personal opinion is on average the best way to go.

Politely assert that it is your right to be left alone.

I find that saying "no" calmly and assertively can be helpful.

Some potential attackers are looking for an easy victim. - an assertive response does not encourage these people.

Some potential attackers are looking for an excuse to start - an assertive response does not encourage these people.

19. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

I believe they changed their name to Bunda's Kajukenbo, maybe... I just googled it.

20. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Sorry Vegas but i strongly disagree with your statements regarding ones conduct in a bar. I have been able to talk my way out of 98% of potentially hazardous situation. The only time I've been in a physical confrontation is when i put my self in that position in order to brake up a fight and that normally only lasts long enough to get a few loud words in.

The biggest problem i have with your bar fight resolution is the potential at which the fight could escalate to (knife, gun, or gang beating). The other factor that doesn't seem to be considered are the legal repercussions.

Just my 2c.