Silat question.

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Kframe, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Hey guys. I was hoping that the silat experts here could tell me about the style of silat taught by Guro Inosanto instructors.

Seeing as my bad luck with schools closing, im hoping this school is legit because its been here for a long time.

I know that silat is a broad term, like karate so they are all different. Is silat a weapon system like Kali? I had always heard that silat was brilliant with a blade. Is Guro Inosanto's silat a weapon art or more of a unarmed style?

I ask because the school im looking at, teaches Jkd and kali and silat and wing chun and a grappling class.. They teach it all separately.

Not sure why they teach so many arts but im not sure how well jkd/kali/silat mix..

Here is the school im looking at. http://www.wetoskey.com/

I guess the question is, in the scheme of things, were does that style of silat fit in? Kali and jkd and the other arts already cover unarmed and armed stuff.

Maybe you guys can tell where it fits in.

2. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

This could be a great place to train at KFrame. Guro Wetosky has an excellent reputation. In regards to the Silat taught there Guro Inosanto crafted his own Silat system called Maphilindo Silat. He already had a base in Mande Muda under Pak Herman Suwanda and Pukulan Pentjak Silat under Paul De Thouars.

Silat is a really broad system. Some have really good blade work and some do not. I have encountered both.

In Guro Wetosky's school you should get a great opportunity to learn and be well rounded. He has extensive experience not only in JKD, Wing Chun, Savate, etc. but if you are interested in the blade he trains in Dekiti Tirsia Siradas which as taught by Grand Tuhon Nene Tortal is one of the world's best bladed systems out there.

If you do go and decide to train have fun!

3. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Thanks Brian! I honestly don't know much about Guro Wetoskey. In fact I didn't even know he existed until I happened to type in JKD Indiana and his name popped up.

Well rounded is what im after. Soon as I get some personal work sorted im going to go up there for a day class and see what its like.

I wonder how he fights.. With so many different instructorships, I bet his fighting will have hints of all of them. Wonder if he floats in and out of styles while sparring. Like starting off in JKD then moving into WC ect..

4. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Kframe, Guro Wetoskey is an acquaintance of mine.. He has a long history of martial arts skills and instructor ranks.. He has been one of the mainstays in the midwest with his school for as long as I remember.. He is also affiliated with the Dekiti Tirsia siradas group of which I am also a member of

5. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Thanks for the personal reference Kuntaoer. I appreciate it. It helps a lot. Im hoping this is the change of pace and style im looking for.

Ill be going up this upcoming Saturday, so ill let you guys know how it goes.

From what I read online, Guro Inosanto made his silat system to work in a kickboxing stance. My question is what is the fighting stance of traditional silat?

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I'd say that Silat in the Inosanto JKD program is primarily there to offer leverage and leg attack skills. Maphilindo Silat especially does have some overlap with Panantukan, but be aware that Inosanto lineage schools may also teach Majapahit Silat or Mande Muda Silat.
    Within Maphilindo they do a fair amount of Sarong work, if they do Mande Muda they'll likely have a full Silat weapons compliment.
    This is a big question in TMA in general. Systems are very good at teaching you how to stand as you execute a technique but many don't actually specify how you should stand when you're not engaged.

7. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Thanks guys.

So you think the silat is there to fill out the jkd and panantukan from the kali? That makes a lot of sense. When I was in the Kali club we didn't do much unarmed, as that was done after learning the weapons work. So I guess the silat there is to flesh that out a bit.

8. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

Kframe, to answer your specific question:

"My question is what is the fighting stance of traditional silat?"

Traditional silat, at least the west-javanese style i have trained and seen, don't have a fighting stance. That is....if you mean a certain stance to start your fight from.

Traditional west-javanese silat starts from neutral stance. This means no specific lead hand and not one foot forward. The hands do come up when your opponent is really close

For me, and others silat is a world in it's own, separate from Kali, JKD or any other art. But it all depends what type of silat.

A lot of people just train aspects of silat (like takedowns) and skip on other parts to make a mix and match. Personally i don't think taking just some aspects of a complete art doesn't do it justice, but then again, some people are comfortable with it.

I've met some JKD practitioners who said they 'knew silat' since they knew some 'puter kepala' or takedowns that they incorporated into their system. To be honest, for me these are not Silat practitioners. It's like knowing how to make a double-leg shoot and saying you trained MMA.

If you can make it work, more power to you!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It isn't technically the case - I do very little, if any, Silat in my JKD because it gives me little I don't get from my current training.

Someone (Ap I believe, although I could be wrong) mentioned that many people see what Guro Dan is doing for his own training and then copy it because they think it is a necessary component.

I like what i see in Silat, but i just don't think it offers much different

10. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

Silat is not there 'to flesh that out a bit'. Silat is a style in itself, so taking small pieces from it doesn't do the style justice and in the end , as Hannibal says if you have already JKD and Kali with Panantukan, why would you add more? Sure.... Dan Inosanto did it, but he has been at it for so long that he has plenty of experiences in the separate arts as well.

Same goes other way around, if i train silat i don't feel the need to combine with JKD or panantukan. It only messes up my mind and confuses my body.

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I've been here long enough that there are certainly things I've said here that I don't actually remember saying. So you could be right...

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

13. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Well I am mostly interested in the JKD and Kali. However the class schedule has silat on Tuesdays after WC and Kali, and I don't want to waste my money by not training in something that is available. Its only on one day a week, and I wouldn't consider my self a true silat person maybe a guy a who cross trains in it but, ill never claim to be a full and true silat person.

So what is in silat that is also in JKD? You make it sound as if they are similar.

14. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

If I would give you an advice it would be to train your jkd attributes on that day in stead of going to silat class. I know there are plenty of instructors who teach silat as well as jkd and kali. I'm a silat guy so would love to convince you of its effectiveness but if your focus is on other arts just do them as good as you can. Train your attributes, your basics that will help you more than learning a new tool set.

15. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I would Taoizt, however the JKD class is on Tuesdays and Saturdays. So that not really optional sadly.

I do however wish that silat was offered more then once a week. However due to this, I can never really get far in it.

Thanks for the insight Taoizt and everyone I appreciate it.

16. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

The Silat Style that I practice/teach has many stances which we term postures,the postures are the Root of the Art and are really just the natural folding and unfolding of your body,we include high/mid and low height postures,they can really work your legs hard especially when doing them outside up hills:):)

17. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

What type of silat you practice Fire Cobra?

18. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Hello Taoizt,Its Harimau sir,My teacher was Richard De Bourdes,started in 1987 took over 10 years to get instructor qualification,Im no longer in the Guro De Bourdes association just enjoy training:)

19. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

Ah yes Richard de Bordes is a very skilled silat teacher. I've met with several of his students in the past years.

20. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Yes sir Guru De Bourdes is a great practioner and has some very good students:)