What is the value of martial arts ?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Tom bayley, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

In what ways do you value your art ?

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

They keep me ( vaguely) fit
    I enjoy them.
    Really , what else do you need ?

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

it's fun, the training has immense psychological benefits (which i've made great use of and which i credit as one of the reasons for my still being alive), it helps you move better, which is always useful, and in a pinch it makes you (or should make you) a tad better at bonking the other guy before he bonks you.

4. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Beyond simply combatives it opens the door to:
    Biology
    Fitness
    History
    Legal education
    Sociology/anthropology
    Psychology
    Physics

etc. etc. etc.

From martial arts you can branch off into so many other related fields of study. Swordwork might get you interested in the evolution of metallurgy, trade relations with the exchange of metal and metalworking techniques, the evolving contexts for sword in a particular culture, human physiology and how and how much you have to damage a person using a sword to render them a non-combatant, the iconic nature of the sword in certain cultures... And on it goes.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

1) I get to go home after work
    2) When I get home people I teach learn from my experience
    3) I get to travel and meet really interesting and skilled people
    4) I make lots of friends...and get to hit them
    5) I get paid for a hobby
    6) chicks dig scars.....
    7) no they really don't
    8) I can confuse non-martial DMs in RPG by describing incredibly in depth combat attempts

6. Floyd W.

Floyd W. New Member

Now for me there is a rooted meaning.
    The reason why I started was because i wanted to defend my self.
    But time after time, I get better understanding and I got that feeling.
    That feeling comes right from the heart. I noticed that martial arts is something worth that makes me happy :)
    But what is really valuable is that I know me much better.

7. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

They're fun, good for self-discipline personally, a productive emotional outlet that helps keep me fit, healthy, and safe. Get to pretend I'm Bruce Lee :D Also get to meet cool people and good communities.

8. Bomber

Bomber Valued Member

I normally charge £150 per dan rank certificate and £250 for an authentic Soke Council certificate.

9. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Weapon sparring and tameshagiri are about as much fun as you can have on two legs. :D Training also develops very specific types of strength that you can't get elsewhere, too. That sort of thing aids me in my primary endeavor-music performance.

10. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

Basically I do MMA just for fun. I have no plans of fighting professionally. Another thing, when I first moved back to Brazil, I didn't have transportation and had to walk everywhere sometimes at night. So I wanted to know how to fight back if something happened.

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

To crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and hear the lamentation of the women.

Mitch

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

QFT!

13. Dead_pool

Ya know i just searched for soke certificates on google, ebay and amazon, and on one of those sites, I found something very very interesting, BUT I know I shouldnt post it on here......

whoever finds it first gets bonus ''cool'' points...............

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

15. Dead_pool

Shhhhhh, you'll spoil all the fun..

16. KarateMum

KarateMum Valued Member

For me it's probably about to save my life by getting me out of the computer chair for a few hours each week. I wish I had started years ago. I can't over how much I am enjoying it - every time life conspires to make me miss a session for whatever reason I miss it much more than I ever thought I would. I'm gaining flexibility, balance, movement, new friends, and my mind is being stimulated by learning something new. I should have done it years ago.

17. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

It stops me from from playing football which I'm embarrassingly bad at. Plus I quite like getting punched in the head.