Bas Rutten Just Shared This:

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Pretty In Pink, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

devil's advocate: vunak controlled the arm first before the choke was on, so that it wasn't pressing into his gullet while he bit.

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Because we all know how easy controlling the arm is when someone's got your back.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It's the same with all locks/arm bars etc.

Easy enough if you catch them before they're on.

You're as stuck as a stuck thing once they're on.

Another case of, does it work? Yes. Does it work? No.

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

How does it work? Bas Rutten

6. holyheadjch

Then I guess rather than asking "Does it work?" the question should be "Is this the most appropriate thing to do, given you've managed to secure the arm?".

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The bite has to be secured and uniterrupted...otherwise it is just a "bite". Kina mutai (what Vu is showing) is a trained response and the bite has to be delivered as trained - and yes we train it

The choke in the second video is done without the arm being secured so is an instant fail for this counter

As for "should you", a choke is a high level UoF in an illegal assault, with death or GBH being a possible outcome. This means lethal force is a continuum option

8. Hannibal

There is also a context missing and that is the fact that the level you are expected to be at is a blue belt in BJJ or approximation of that level; if you cannot grapple you do not bite - this is not a panacea or an "anti-grapple", more it is is another option to be utilised if necessary

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

They seemed to be slightly different circumstances. The first guy was biting having gripped the attacker's arm with the other guy trying to pull himself loose.

The second guy was trying to bite with the attacker having secured a solid hold and pulling backwards towards himself.

Additionally, all the second example achieves is securing a hold with your arm in someone's mouth - he'd have to change grips anyway to secure a neck-hold, surely?

10. holyheadjch

I'd have to be convinced I was going to die in order to bite a stranger. There is a long laundry list of diseases you could contract by biting some dirty scally in a fight - not worth it.

11. Hannibal

Precisley the point

You against drunk cousin Bob or a moron in a well occupied bar? Maybe not. Alone at 2am in an unlit alley? Maybe so

Shooting someone isnt my first choice in the majority of situations, but when it is I have that option

12. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

The dirty scally is still far more likely to come away with a serious bacterial infection than you are to catch a disease.

[note: I'm not a biter, just saying ;) ]

13. David Harrison

Yeah, they were totally different situations.

But, the take-home lesson is, if someone's biting your forearm, shove it into their temporomandibular joint to dislocate their jaw ;)

14. holyheadjch

Depends on what he's carrying. If some junky is trying to steal my wallet, am I really going to risk a HIV infection by chowing down on his arm? Or Hepatitis? Syphilis? Hell to the no.

15. Hannibal

If he is stealing your wallet why would he be RNCing you?

16. David Harrison

Get to a doctor within 24 hours and you'll be fine. But the chances of you catching a blood-borne disease in the first place are very slim.

17. holyheadjch

I'm talking biting in general, but someone grabbing you around the neck from behind isn't an inconceivable situation either.

18. holyheadjch

If you've got a mouthful of infected blood and a cut somewhere in your mouth (pretty likely given you've been in a serious confrontation) I don't think the chance of infection can be considered slim.

19. David Harrison

I know someone who was RNC'd for their wallet. They woke up and their trousers had been cut with a knife and removed... quicker and easier than rifling through the pockets of an unconscious guy, I guess.

They never even saw it coming. Just walked past an alley and was grabbed from behind in a choke while another guy took to his trousers with a knife.

Lucky it was only his money they were after!

That was in some dodgy Caribbean port though.

20. David Harrison

Hep B is the biggest risk, but again, get to hospital within 24 hours and you're golden.

http://www.cdc.gov/oralhealth/infectioncontrol/faq/bloodborne_exposures.htm