Returning after a long break

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Anwolf, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

Hey everyone,

I joined the forum in 2011 but left after a while as I had moved schools and no longer practised eskrima, but a couple of months ago I started learning muay thai and bjj in an MMA context, and then last week took up eskrima again, so I figured it might be an idea to come back to MAP.

I'm 17 now, I was training twice a week at first (Mondays striking, Wednesdays grappling), but now I train muay thai on Tuesdays and Thursdays as well, and eskrima for six hours at the weekend. It is Guba Doce Pares and I hope to 're-grade' as it were in April and hopefully complete my red belt grading. The reason I left the first time around was because I learnt it an an after-school club and when I moved schools it was no longer available to me and I couldn't attend weekend classes for logistical reasons. I'm enjoying it very much now that I've started again though. :D

I do have an ambition to compete at amateur level eventually but I'll just have to wait and see how things go as at the moment I'm nowhere near ready. I also spend a lot of time on fitness outside of training sessions, doing weight-lifting, running, and circuit-training, which I feel has certainly helped me adapt to the intensity of training.

Thanks for reading,
    Anwolf :)

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Welcome back :)

Mitch

3. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Always nice to have people return. Welcome back.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Hi Anwolf,

Are you still training with Nimesh?

5. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

I am indeed.

6. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Welcome back. So glad to see someone return to training. Sadly, I see people leave my school. When they come back 99% of the time they don't stick around long the second time.

People say they are taking a break all the time. The break usually seems permanent from my observation.

7. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Welcome back!

8. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Welcome back! MMA training looks interesting and I look forward to reading about it in your log. :) :cool:

9. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

Let's hope that's not the case with me then :p I actually missed my session today because I was at a party last night :bang:

Sure I'll start a log at some point I guess. It's very fun, although from what I've seen so far I think doing MMA specific training works bests if you already have a foundation in martial ats or if you are also spending time doing more focused training as it covers a very broad range of styles.

10. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

The MMA gyms I've observed have separate classes for BJJ, boxing, Muay Thai, etc. It looks quite focused on the individual styles and well-rounded (to me). If I were in a position to try it like you are, I would definitely look into it. :hat: (I'm sure some gyms are much better than others, of course)