The Sakki Test(not Sake)

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Please reality, Oct 8, 2011.

1. TomD

TomD Valued Member

I think, and I have heard stories, that in many sakki tests are "passed by" as is said above, they are allowed to go along with their training because others let them, but have they truly passed the sakki test. Also, tests seem to be political sometimes, who gives the test to whom, etc. And not all tests are done in public, possibly even the most important ones.

Regards, Tom.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The more you ninj guys talk about this test the more legit it seems! :)

3. george rodger

george rodger Valued Member

The more you dismiss it, the more I'm likely to think you would fail it

4. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

What happens if you refuse to kneel down with your back to a guy holding a sword who you know what's to hit you with it? Tbh that doesn't seem like a place id want to be.

Is that passing with distinction or is that just a fail? I mean surely no 'real' ninja would ever let themselves be in that it position. :)

5. george rodger

No one would walk into a ring knowing that an athlete is going to try to punch their lights out.
    No one would try to climb a mountain when they know there is nothing at the top of it.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

But would I fail it because I dismiss it or because I was supposed to fail it (because my face didn't fit and all that)?

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Has your check cleared?

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

No...but I have been to the honbu every year for 5 years and Hatsumi looked at me one time.

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Good enough probably....bloody gaijin!!

10. george rodger

Fair points, I have to say.

11. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

All levity aside, if the person doesn't cut all the way to the ground in a committed way that would've killed you had it been a real sword, and had they not given off the right intention, passing doesn't really confirm that you sensed the sakki or more importantly, that you were able to put that information into correct and martially effective use. Any other arguments are secondary.

12. george rodger

But if they had not done those thing the person should not have passed. How can you avoid "no intention"?

13. Please reality

Good point, could've written "does not necessarily confirm…" of course, they could be Hatsumi Sensei.:eek: He passed such a test from Takamatsu Sensei.

I've always believed and stated that the test should be done in a certain way. Failure to do so makes it easier for people to make a laughingstock of something that is really deep and important. I've also described ways that the test can be analyzed but it's really up to the individuals involved(tester and testee) to hold it to a higher standard.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  14. george rodger

What Hatsumi passed a test to detect bad intentions when there were none? Thats a good trick !

15. Please reality

You never heard the stories?:hat:

16. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

To be fair Hatsumi sensei has written a couple of times that he feels he was passed by Takamatsu - read into that what you will

I still maintain that it's not a test, it's an experience that should help you progress

17. garth

garth Valued Member

Can I just clarify George

Are you saying that the Sakki test is not a real test and just down to luck?

Because I seem to remember you saying a year or so ago on here that it was real, and it was the 5th dan you sold your self on, i.e. that the rank of 5th dan and the fact you had passed the test made you worth the grade of 5th dan.

Now its a long time ago George and i don't want to put words in your mouth and i'm going from memory so can you just outline your point of view on the test.

18. george rodger

No, I most certainly am not saying its not a real test. Its a very real test.
    What I am saying that it is a test of a persons ability to sense danger.and that you can have that ability without any Ninjutsu training. And you can train in martial arts for ever and still not be able to do it if you are not able to allow yourself to be open to it.
    And as for the cut being applied with good form, and the evasion being made in good form, I think they are both irrelevant. You should be able to avoid a strike from a snooker ball in a sock and any movement to avoid the strike will do. Obviously it would be better if after the movement a good defensive pose was gained, but that is incidental

19. garth

garth Valued Member

So basically your saying that some people could do it without any training in martial arts as long as they could sense danger. OK just clarifying.

20. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I think some people without training can move at the right time

It requires training to avoid a cut to the floor and move in a martial manner, however