What was the last movie you watched ....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Guvnor, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Get hell comes to frogtown on the list.

Baza

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Just checked that on IMDB, this came up too.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098216/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

"In the future, a warrior nun on roller skates must rescue a seer, who is to be sacrificed by a band of mutants".

How good does that sound?

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

"The Village" by M. Night Shyamalan

Still good ten years later. This here sums it up: my son watched it with me. It was his first time. He almost cried when the crazy person, Noah, mortally stabs Lucius. "But he's so nice! And he was going to get married!" :cry:

When a movie gets you like that, it's a good movie.

I love the scene when "those we don't speak of" enter the village, and everyone goes hiding except Ivy. She stands in her doorway holding her hand straight out, insistent that Lucius will come for her. The sound goes out and the film moves into slow motion, and a red monster approaches her porch, and then Lucius appears out of nowhere and turns her around, and --- it was filmed brilliantly. And it was directed brilliantly. "A+" for how that scene was constructed.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I rewatched PoD recently myself. Not his greatest, I suppose. But definitely creepy. And Carpenter through and through. I really like it.

The Thing, though, is his magnum opus surely. We watched it and then turned straight around and watched it with the director commentary on. Fascinating. Not a bad read, the original short story (Who Goes There?) either.

5. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World.

Steve Carrell and Kiera Knightly play a pair of neighbours who get to know each other on a road trip during the final weeks of the apocalypse - a 70 mile wide meteor is headed for Earth and efforts to stop it have failed. A funny and touching comedy that is worth a watch. 7/10.

7. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Watched Interstellar at the cinema. The physicist in me kept picking holes and the music was too loud in parts, but it was epic. Definitely worth seeing. And despite what I said just before, it does a much better job of addressing the physics than most sci-fis.

At home I recently watched a Hong Kong MA movie called Dragon from Russia. The plot was convoluted and nonsensical and the characters were 2D. But there was lots of action of the quality you expect from Hong Kong. Definitely worth the $7 I paid for it.

8. aikiMac

LOL! :happy: I like it!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj23dwWHukY"]BATMAN vs DARTH VADER - Super Power Beat Down - YouTube[/ame]

9. aikiMac

We broke out the Christmas movies today. I love the Burgermeister Meisterberger "Santa Claus" movie from the 60's, but "Elf" is the best. It's so laugh-out-loud funny. There are so many great lines and silly moments. :D :jester:

10. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

11. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

The Tao of Steve

12. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc4y-asVh3c"]Criterion Trailer 221: Ikiru - YouTube[/ame]

13. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Trouble 'N Strife and myself ordered up "The Grand Budapest Hotel" on the hotel's PPV. It was really quite good with a dry, witty sense of humour one does not find too often in films anymore.

The film chronicles the misadventures of a 1930's era concierge and his trusted Lobby Boy who play the giggalo to the old Hotel's rich grande dames who frequent the establishment. The dutiful concierge finds himself in a sticky wicket and his Lobby Boy and the boy's fiance come to his rescue.

Its stylish and deceptively deep, if one wants to take it to that level. If not in the mood for its more darker insenuations, no harm leaving it as a good romp.

[​IMG]

14. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Grand Budapest Hotel is one of Wes Anderson's most brilliant films. Good fun! :)

15. Bozza Bostik

Planning to watch Grand Budapest Hotel tonight! I've heard it's good.

16. Bozza Bostik

Grand Budapest Hotel.

What a fantastic film that was!....and incredibly sad too. Beautifully done. Edward Norton really stole the show for me, I don't know why, but I thought he was brilliantly dry in it and really cracked me up.

I've rented it for 48 hours, so have to watch it again tomorrow.

17. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Yes I really enjoyed The Grand Budapest Hotel. Despite being macabre and having a film noir style; it reminded me of a good kids show, with it's caricature characters and quick pacing. I'd say it was like a tasty cocktail of a film. I think I'll watch it again with my parents, they liked Hugo.

18. belltoller

Ja, it was a nice little find - such gems are usually out of the blue and unexpected, like.

Though I don't think I'd be able to watch it with parents - mum, anyroad. The idea of being in the same room with yer mum while Gustave gets gobbled by one of the dames, even as brief as the scene was, would just.... shudder, shudder, shudder

19. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i have a friend who, without knowing anything about he film, took his dicaprio-fan mother to see the wolf of wall street. many lulz were had at his expense :p

20. belltoller

I've'nt seen the film, but I can just imagine from your post, lol.