heard of this style?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by findurinsanity, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Since when is Wing Chun , spelt in any different way, a new style?

Nothing special about that new link.

LFD

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yup

3. pugilist77

pugilist77 New Member

For all the detractors, here is the short and sweet answer. Thinking that the Alan Lee in NY was our Alan Lee was just exuberance, and a mistake. I apologize for any confusion

From Master Roy:

Ok, now that I have been vindicated in this character assassination by just a few disgruntled past students, claiming that I was not who I claimed to be, and was not the student of Grandmaster Alan Lee. These individuals did in fct speak with the Kung Fu Wusu Association in New York City, where another Grandmaster lan Lee does in fact live and teach kung fu, and is currently still in good health. This Sifu at close to 90 years old, still traines with his students. When asked about me being a student under this organization, they correctly researched and the answer was of course no.
    Of course the answer is no. I have never lived in New York City and I have never claimed to study or teach Kung Fu. I grew up in Maryland and studied the art of Tiek Soo Chang Ch’uan Fa under my instructors Grandmaster Jun Pi Lee a.k.a. Alan Lee and Grand Master Wang Wei Shen a.k.a T’sen Cho. These gentlemen arrived in the United States in the late 1940s and settled in Boston, Massachusetts eventually settled in Catonsville, Maryland. Their kwoon (school) was located on Fredrick Avenue and remained the main kwoon until they relocated to Painters Mill, Maryland in the mid-1960s. They remained there until their retirement in 1974, at which time they moved to and resided in New York City, in the China Town districts in order to be closer to acquaintances and friends, and to live their retirement in relative peace. That is the extent to the New York tie, and these men never had a school in New York City. These men never taught Kung Fu or Wu Su.
    Grandmaster Alan Lee was born in 1886 and passed away May 16, 1989 in New York City. Now, allow me to bring all this to relevance:
    Grandmaster Alan Lee of the New York based Alan Lee Kung Fu Wu Su Association, had founded this organization in the 1960s. He is a very educated and apparently quite the Chinese Martial artist; but, he is not a practitioner, and never was, of the Ch’uan Fa system of Tiek Soo Chang. Furthermore, this man is still alive today and near his 90s.
    Grandmaster Alan Lee (Jun Pi Lee), was not an educated man in the classical sense. His education consisted of the first 31 years of his life as a caretaker and janitor for the White Dragon Cloud Heavenly Gate Monastery in rural Beijing, China.
    I want to believe that by these individuals bothering Grand Master Alan Lee and his Master students, it was to find the truth. But, as it turned out, they never did try to research the Grandmaster Alan Lee of the Tiek Soo Chang System in the state of Maryland. But, I was wrong. Rather than realizing the obvious, that we are talking of two men with the same name. Jun Pi Lee upon arriving in the United States, like most immigrants from Western Europe or the far east, used American ‘Common names’ for the purpose of assimilation into the American Society. When I was a child Alan lee told me that the choice of the name ‘Alan Lee’ was taken because it was the only English he had practice and learned to write. This way, if asked, he could always sign this name. It was easy for people to mispronounce, or to not understand his given name. I think we all know people from Western European descent, as well as far eastern descent, this is still a common practice today.
    I personally called the Wu Su temple of the Alan Lee Kung Fu Wu Su Association to apologize for these people’s rude and unnecessary harassment of this man and his organization. I had at one time spoke to my attorney here in Las Vegas, Gerald F. Neil Esq., to perhaps sue these individuals for defamation of character via slander and libel. An investigator doing background research for a law suit did in fact contact Sifu Orlando Rivera. Sifu Rivera informed this man that they had been contacted by individuals about this matter and mix-up. But, they in turn did a little research on their own through the Chinese community in New York to find out exactly who my Grandmaster Alan Lee truly was. Without any details given to them, these individuals were able to provide evidence that indeed there was a Grand Master Alan Lee, highly respected, and known to many of the Chinese community, thus by their investigative evidence, they discovered that Alan Lee was a resident of New York City and was an instructor, along with Grand Master Cho of the Tiek Soo Chang Ch’uan Fa system. Upon learning this, I personally called and spoke to Master Rivera whom offered more information than had been related to the investigator. This information was that they had researched Tiek Soo Chang and were indeed impressed with what they found to the point that they personally invited myself, as well as my black belts, to be their guests and train with them. In responding to the name of our system, they used the true Chinese terminology, the name Dong Soo Chang Ch’uan Fa. Only a Chinese martial artist who did his research would find that out.
    Tiek Soo Chang was what Grand Master Alan Lee termed so that he could promote and propagate the system. This was done because in the beginning, the World Dong Soo Chang Federation in Beijing, China, would not accept students of this art that were not of Chinese origin. Grand Master Alan Lee being just that, a Grand Master, informed those in charge in China that he could not pool enough Chinese students to study because there weren’t that many Chinese people to fill his school and so he wanted to teach anyone. The World Dong Soo Chang Federation, at that time, said that they would not support or recognize his instructor grade students if they were not of Chinese decent. Thus became Tiek Soo Chang in 1959. We were not recognized by our mother organization until 2009 when it was decided that any student reaching the grade of Black Belt instructor would be recognized officially by the World Dong Soo Chang Federation, from where all of our certification and documentation now comes.
    The address of the World Dong Soo Chang Federation in China was provided to these people for the purpose of requesting or inquiring anything at all that had to do with the participants of, and the system of, Tiek Soo Chang Ch’uan Fa (Dong Soo Chang Ch’uan Fa). These individuals chose rather than take advantage of this information, they would never inquire or use this address to prove or disprove their claims. The continued the harassment, lies, criticisms, and denounciation of myself and the system I have been part of for over half a century.
    It was brought to my attention that an individual thirty-five years ago talked to the same man whose picture hangs on every school in the Tiek Soo Chang Ch’uan Fa system. When inquired to those in New York at the Kung Fu Wu Su establishment, they looked at, they scrutinized all pictures in our hombu and realized for themselves that we’re definitely talking about two martial arts masters with the same name, but obviously was not Jun Pi Lee. After speaking and befriending Sifu Master Rivera, it was revealed that he too was a Viet Nam veteran and Marine stationed at exactly the same years that I was there, and just a few miles apart. This cemented a relationship between this organization and ours that we now cherish.
    One of my detractors was one of my students for 35 years. He was the highest ranking black belt I had ever promoted and we were inseparable. In doing our research on his claims he made and published that he was a seventh degree in Katsudo. Through our investigation we contacted the Grand Master, and founder, of Katsudo Grand Master Gary Yano of Cleveland, Ohio, who in turn researched the files of present and past senior black belts and found that Nicholas Burger was not only not a member of that system, but that his mother’s family name, also researched by the Grand Master, was found to be false and unrelated. There is absolutely no record of Mr. Burger’s mother or her family ever having studied Katsudo, much less promoting, as he has published, to the grade of seventh degree black belt of that art. I welcome, as well as the Grand Master welcomes, anyone to validate what I am saying
    Furthermore, Mr. Burger also made and published a claim to be a sixth degree black belt in the art of Hokkruryu Jujitsu. When we investigated this claim as well, Sifu Matthew Nielsen received an overseas phone call from the senior ranking master of Kokkruryu in Tokyo, Japan. His name is Kaiden Shihan Sandaikichu Joe Miller. He in turn was insulted and extremely upset that anyone would do such a thing in the martial arts and had the United States Director of Hakkoryu in Michigan do further research only to find out from them via e-mail that no such individual ever studied, much less was promoted to a black belt. The following is the e-mail:
    Dear Mr. Nielsen,

Thank you very much for contacting us.

As acting Secretary for Hakkoryu's North American Representative Mr. Joseph Miller, I am responsible for maintaining the roster for all Hakkoryu Jujutsu students and instructors in the N. America region. This being said, I can confirm that there is no record (current or past) of a Mr. Nicholas Burger having ever been registered with the Hakkoryu So Honbu Dojo (headquarters) in Omiya, Japan. In speaking of this with Mr. Miller, neither of us recognize the name, and I've been a member since 1979; Mr. Miller since the early 1960's.

Please don't hesitate to write if you think I can be of further assistance.

Best regards,

Devon Smith, Secretary
    Hakkoryu Jujutsu & Koho Shiatsu, North America
    Upon trying to find who has ever seen any evidence, be it certificate or anything at all that would substantiate the claims of Mr. Burger, all we received in response from everyone that contacted us that knew him, claimed that he had made these claims to them. Many of them informed me that they knew the whole time that Mr. Burger was a liar; but, never said anything to him and let it go. So, obviously his mother had never taught him from the age of four as he claims because she’s never been a black belt instructor of the system that he claimed her family is decedent of.
    So, this gentleman claiming that I am not who I say I am, of the system that I am, that he was, is himself a fraud. This is also the same individual whom for three years has tried to pull my name and this beautiful art through the mud, to I imagine make himself look authentic; but, in three years of telling people that he had evidence and people asking repeatedly to please produce any evidence at all that his claims were valid, and in three years there has been absolutely no evidence from anyone that Bill Roy is not who he says he is, or that Tiek Soo Chang is not what it is.
    In closing of this matter, I encourage anyone to contact any of these organizations, from New York to Japan, to Cleveland, Ohio, to find out for themselves and not take my word for it. This is what we call evidence.
    Now, here is the evidence we can substantiate.
    1) Obviously, I am not of the New York Kung Fu students of their esteemed Grand Master Alan Lee
    2) All our certification is directly from the World Dong Soo Chang Federation in Beijing, China. All our certificates are hand done with ink and brush. Every Haun that accompanies every certificate is affixed with the official Haun’s of both the monastery and the system. Our Hauns and certificates have been authenticated. Please write to me. I will provide names and places , as well as addresses to the World Dong Soo Chang Federation
    3) In 2012, a series of Chinese PhDs of this country were employed by the People’s Republic of China as part of a cultural preservation project. It met Bethesda, Maryland for a three day symposium on the various aspects of Chinese history by region, population, water, and anything that could be counted on as reliable, factual, and substantiated official Chinese government information. In speaking with those involved with the martial arts end of Chinese authenticity, there are according the their academic research, it has been determined that there are a minimum of three-thousand officially documented, researched, and validated Chinese martial arts systems. Of these three-thousand documented systems, Dong Soo Chang Ch’uan Fa was among the top 50 dating back 2500 years. Of course, this system has evolved and changed through the centuries to the wonderful art it is today.
    4) In December of 1990, I was inducted into the International Karate Hall of Fame in Las Vegas, Nevada. Before being nominated for induction a thourough investigation into the inductee’s martial arts attributes, ranking, and other statistics, is conducted. This process takes at a minimum ninety days to complete. Master John Natividad and Master Eddie “Flash” Newman were inducted on the same evening. These gentlemen went through exactly the same stringent background investigation that would be done for anyone nominated for this prestigious award. These two gentlemen, as well as the director in Ohio of the International Karate Hall of Fame, can validate every word of what I have said. Write or call me. I will give you the names, phone numbers, and addresses to those officials to whom I speak.
    5) I am the second executive national vice president of the United States Martial Arts Bureau. This organization was founded by Grand Master Charles Park of San Diego, California to research and authenticate instructors and schools that people may have questions about. Their investigational process is quite profound. They too, before I could ever be elected to the board of directors, of course did a thorough background investigation on me and the art of Tiek Soo Chang. Again, call me or write me, I will give you the address in Washington, D.C. as well as the name and phone number of anybody within this organization that can verify my comments.
    This my friends is called evidence, something that in three years of these people’s continuous and libelous behavior, not a single shred of evidence other than someone saying something and he said/she said kind of back and forth ********. This is what they consider evidence, and it is kind of weak and would not stand the scrutiny of a court of law, much less legitimate martial arts practitioners.
    In closing, I would also like to submit to anyone who asks, all the statements and notarized statements of those in my system (grand master Chin, former president of the American Tiek Soo Chang Association). Also, in the summer of 1977 my two instructors came to visit me at my brand new school in Jacksonville, North Carolina. Normally I would not include this as I had no evidence of the visit thirty-five years ago, but in doing some research in North Carolina personally, we were able to find some of the participants of the workout we had with Grand Master Alan Lee and Grand Master Cho. I have in my possession video documentary evidence of this visit by my masters by a famous, and dear friend, the late Soke Dan Pearson. Also, newly found 8x10 group pictures of this very meeting with people that my detractors say didn’t exist along with a system that didn’t exist. Again, this is evidence. I challenge Nicholas Burger and any of his students, past or present, to validate everything I have now disclosed. It is not my intention to hurt or defame anyone. I as a martial artist think I am above any such juvenile undertakings. For the past three years, I have not entertained any comments about these fools until now, while I have boxes of evidence to defend myself and my system. Any legitimate martial artist anywhere, those that have known me over the past 40 years, and those that don’t know me, I will show you proof.

Respectfully,
    Sigung William C. Roy
    8th Degree Black Belt
    Tiek Soo Chang Ch’uan Fa
    Head Instructor/Director
    Roy Branch of Tiek Soo Chang Ch’uan Fa