street fighting

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by maressa, Nov 26, 2014.

1. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

One of the advanced students in my class has been in two street fights with guys who tried to rob him. He won both. He says he used MMA leaving the rules out of it. So if some guy tries to mug me I suppose I should just forget the rules and fight.

I have fought another girl back in high school but that was before I knew any MMA. I still beat the hell out of her though.

2. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Maybe it's because we're from different countries - but statements like that are the reason MMA still has a rather bad reputation here, for people who don't really know anything about it.

3. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

It was over a boy. Stupid I know. When she grabbed my hair I started swingin on her.

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

The trick with street fighting is to alway make sure you use proper tools. Verbal tricks won't work with the street, it will simply stay silent and ignore you. Trying to beat it apart with your hands is futile, I don't care what you do in the dojo, it just won't work. Try to use at the very least a jackhammer, although machines like a back hoe or tank can do a real number on it as well.

5. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

And whatever you do don't headbutt it.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is....

Yeah, if you fight with rules you're also capable of fighting without them.

7. philosoraptor

Yeah but could you kick asphalt bro, I don't think so.

8. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

The moral here is that a system built around pressure testing, frequent sparring, and only includes techniques that are proven to be successful in causing bodily harm, is a good system to cause bodily harm.

9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Why?

10. philosoraptor

Too deadly… for you!

11. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

From my time as a bjj guy I can tell you that its because there is a very real risk of needles and lava. Neither are things you want your head to touch.

12. holyheadjch

A well placed headbutt is a devastating technique that your opponent will often not see coming.

13. philosoraptor

You'll split your skull open and your opponent will silently mock you. It is not appropriate for street fighting.

14. holyheadjch

I've seen several headbutts used in late night brawls and that has never happened. In a meeting of the forehead and bridge of the nose, the forehead always wins and it wins big.

I am far more wary of a headbutt than I am of a haymaker when people start to get mouthy. It'd be like being hit with a bowling ball.

15. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

they're talking about fighting the street itself. as in, the sidewalk :p

16. philosoraptor

Was the bridge up or down when you hit it? I guess if you angled it right and the bridge was completely up, you might only scrape it. I still don't think it would do any damage on the street though. Did you have an engineering team survey to prove that it was damaged? Mr. Miyagi says "Street never hits back."

17. holyheadjch

It must be late, because I completely missed that. So obvious in hindsight.

18. holyheadjch

To answer the question that was intended:

There is a tendency to hear from people who do Krav Maga/Ninjutsu/Bespoke Self Defence system that MMA doesn't work as a self defence fighting style because of the rules that MMA places on competition. These people, hereafter referred to as 'crazies' don't seem to understand that faced with a bad situation off the mat, you can still apply your experience and your skills with very few issues. Someone with a couple of years MMA training will be vastly more capable of defending yourself than the typical crazy who has never pressure tested his techniques because they are 'too craz...I mean deadly'.

19. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

I hope my friend Kave reads this. I have no Idea what find another term, bodyshot says MMA isnt good for self defense thats just laughable. Ive done "MMA" since before it was cool, by that I mean I came from a system where Boxing, judo, Jujitsu, and Karte kicks where combined, we were wearing JKD gloves for pete sake.
    Street fighting requires the mechanics of boxing, MMA uses those very effectively, does MMA use finger jabs, head butts , and eye gouges no, ok well tell me which one of those is to hard to learn in ten minutes or less.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2014
  20. stonze

stonze Valued Member

if you ask me, for street fighting situations, I would do everything but high kicks and punches to the face.

1-high kicks are dangerous in the street because you're on pavement and if you slip or loose your balance, its over.

2-punching someone in the face with no gloves or wraps on your hand could push your knuckles back, break bones in the hand or more.

I suggest open hand palm strikes, blows to the body, knees and elbows. Slams are golden if you can pull it off