Best Audiobooks?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Pretty In Pink, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Just wanting to get some audiobooks and wondering what you guys liked listening to?

Stephen Fry covering Harry Potter is pretty much perfect.

2. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

I liked the Halo audiobooks, the only ones i ever listened to. Have read the books as well though.

Barry

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Stephen Fry's autobiography's are also well worth a listen.
    The best audio book I've listened to is "I, Partridge. We need to talk about Alan". So consistently funny and so well read by Steve Coogan.
    Can also recommend "A short history of nearly everything - Bill Bryson", "Back Story - David Mitchell" and "The Ancestor's tale - Richard Dawkins".
    That lot should keep you busy for a while. :)

4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I, Partridge is the best audio book ever.

Game of Thrones is good too.

Lord of the Rings BBC drama adaptation is excellent (and this is from someone who doesn't like the Peter Jackson films).

Depends what you like listening to. I've got some good Philip K Dick and HP Lovecraft, and a good version of Catch 22.

5. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Who is reading them? It's always the problem with audiobooks, you can have the greatest story ever told ruined by a rubbish reader.

6. David Harrison

Catch-22 is an mp3 version of a 1980 cassette version a friend gave me. The voice takes a bit of getting used to, but once I did I liked it. I guess any audio book you've already read is weird at first, as you've already given your own voice to it.

I've got a whole bunch of Lovecraft stuff, some ameuter stuff that isn't so good and some ok professional productions. None of them are amazing, some of them are terrible, but they're very good to fall asleep to if you like "those" kind of dreams :)

7. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Very true! I am huge fan of the Jack Reacher (Audio) Books, which are read by Dick Hill, (and which I'd heartedly recommend) who has a fairly deep and very engaging voice. Conversely, I have also been listening to a few of the Dirk Pitt novels, and whilst I forget the narrators name, I do recall him to be very monotone, and painfully slowly spoken, which is one of the main reasons I decided to indefinitely shelve the latter mentioned Mr. Pitt...

Kind Regards,

Travess

8. Rhythmkiller

You got your audio book, you've been dying to hear it. You get all set up for it. Perhaps in the bath with candlelight and maybe a glass of wine (buckfast) - Suddenly you realise to your horror that the person reading the book is dah Dah DAH!!!!! Joe Pasquale

Baza

9. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

If you like the shows - I really enjoyed the Stargate audio books :eek:

10. Bozza Bostik

The Bible...read by Pamela Doove.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wB0OkcCps8"]Jedd Hunter's commercial - The League of Gentlemen - BBC comedy - YouTube[/ame]

I once got a ton of stuff from one of those free audio book sites. I decided I'd give some political stuff a go, I wanted to hear/read some of the classics that have had a profound effect on the 20th century so'z i culd pertend i am dea d clevar. For some reason I started with Mein Kampf...But the guy who read it did so in a really obviously fake German accent and tried to sound menacing and evil but just came across as really camp...Mein Kampf became pure comedy. I didn't last long with it. I still can't see a picture of Hitler with out giggling.

11. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

In the US- the audio books for Harry Potter are voiced by Jim Dale- who won a lot of awards for his job. I think he did the best audio reading I have ever heard on audio books.

The guy who reads the Tony Hillerman books has a voice perfectly suited for those books too.

It is a good thing to talk about. Some readers make a book impossible to listen to because the reading is so bad.

I like listening to the Teaching Company College lecture series. They pick out the best College professors to teach their courses through audio. You can find just about any topic that interests you. The best of College wihout the homework. They are very expensive, but one can get them through your local libary.

I am particularly fond of Elizabeth Vandiver's series in the teaching company of Classic Greek literature. It gave me a better understanding of them and was very entertaining.

12. Rhythmkiller

See if Morgan Freeman read it you would have understood and stayed with it lol

Baza

13. Bozza Bostik

Yeah. And quit MAP and hung out on a seagull spotters forum! :)

14. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

The kids started "The Phantom Tollbooth" today, which I never read even though it's, like, famous, and stuff. The reader is Dr. Niles Crane (aka, David Hyde Pierce) and so far, I'm liking it myself. I was kind of eavesdropping on it. :D

15. Pretty In Pink

I listened to the American version, it was crap. "Sorcerers stone". Poppycock!

16. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

That's the spirit young man!

You're sounding more like an Englishman everyday. :evil:

:D

17. Bozza Bostik

Harry Potter is the most unbelievable thing I have ever seen....I mean really, a ginger haired kid at school with two friends!?!

18. Pretty In Pink

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo

19. David Harrison

I don't even like Harry Potter, (it's just a rip-off of Groosham Grange, except not written as well) but saying that anyone could suit reading the audio book more than Stephen Fry is heresy!

Publishers have to aim low for some markets ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa0bCzwSNA0"]philosophy - YouTube[/ame]

:D

20. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

the freakonomics podcasts - i highly recommend them