throwing heavier people in ju jitsu

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by ade1971, Sep 4, 2014.

1. ade1971

ade1971 Valued Member

hello I was just wondering in ju jitsu which is the best way to throw someone heavier than you. My sensei say its all about balance but in training this is where seem to come unstuck and have the most problems Any advice will do?

2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

maybe you're going into the technique too early? first you should unbalance, then enter the throw, then perform the technique.

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You have to give before you can take. If you want to

- push, you pull first.
    - throw your opponent to your right, you twist him to your left first.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Are you talking about in a dynamic, resistant situation like sparring, or you can't even do it in compliant drilling?

5. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

My advice find the heaviest most awkward uke you can and practice your throws on them for as long as they let you and as often as you can.

When I did ju jitsu there was another guy I literally could not throw, he was 25-30kg heavier than me and around 6 inches shorter (same height as when sitting down though). My sensei made me try throwing him for weeks with very little additional input as I knew the theory of how I needed to throw just couldn't make them work on shorter heavier people. Frustrating as it was after a month or 2 it started to click.

It's hard work mentally but as long as you know the technique it's just important to find how YOU need to apply it to make it work for YOU. Coaching can help you to learn a technique but the rest is largely up to you.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

How long have you actually been training? Your post feels like you've been training a relatively short time. In which case, it's just a matter of practice. Understanding it conceptually is a very different thing from being able to translate it into physical action in real time.

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If uke is properly unbalanced then it shouldn't be a problem, unless you are just not strong enough to lift them (on throws where you need to lift them).

I'm not sure I agree about finding an awkward uke. At least not until you are really good at the basics of the technique.

8. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Picking the right throw for the situation helps, even more important is executing the throw with good technique. The secret is lots of practice and hard work. Getting stronger is also helpful. Personally I find height a bigger factor than weight. However, at my gym we don't have many fatties so I have never had to try throwing really heavy (morbidly obese) people. I guess a 2 meter waist could make kuzushi quite difficult.

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Learn to squat (body weight to start with) properly, that and getting the timing right made my hip throws a lot easier.

10. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Trips are magic.

Really you should be able to safely throw stupidly large people in compliant training if your structure is correct. Randori is different of course but without learning to walk correctly you're not going to do much running.

11. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

This nails it.

12. fthl

fthl www.jitsu.me

strangely, i sometimes find larger sizer differences harder than heavy. A well proportioned heavy bugger can be easier to throw than a lighter, but odd shaped uke. I find wide very troublesome for any hip throws and very tall tricky for reaps.

13. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

^^^^^^
    This, I think the hardest thing for me was learning to get down low and stick my butt back without loosing balance. Once I had the balance right it became much easier to do hip throws.

14. Omicron

Omicron is around.

I've picked up a few good things from this series by Stephan Kesting and Brandon Mullins. It's BJJ so you might find it a little less traditional, but here's a clip from it showing a takedown that works well against larger opponents:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQf_pSK6zGk"]Best Takedown vs Bigger Opponents? - YouTube[/ame]

15. David Harrison

Not a throw though, is it?

Punching their jaw works too!

16. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

I wonder if you are getting deep enough on entry i.e. below their belt level after pulling/pushing them off balance i.e. kuzushi and turning your head on the throw. As asked is this an issue during randori or practice?

Do you do Uchikomi much in training as this would be key here in developing your throws against different body types?

Cheers

Dan

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  17. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Ko uchi gake is a throw, unless you count trips as separate to throws?

18. David Harrison

Personally, I do. But if others don't, I can appreciate that.

Labels don't matter as long as you can do the techniques :)

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Been posted before but here is 160lbs vs 260lbs

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqUMa99geyY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqUMa99geyY[/ame]

Now granted that is a high level player, but he is using some of the first techniques you are ever taught.

The best thing to do is practice, work on timing, leverage and practice....with a bit of extra practice

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

135lbs vs 230lbs

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kemcyzbz8j4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kemcyzbz8j4[/ame]