The Git's Coronary Bypass Bypass

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by belltoller, Nov 29, 2014.

1. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

For 20.11.2014

I'd promised meself if I walked out of the heart-speciality clinic without a date set for surgery, balloon catheters or dire pronouncements to get my affairs in order, that I would make some serious health related changes - which will really amount to a revolution of mindset - leading a lifestyle of fitness and health, rather than just attending classes once and a while, exercising - often begrudgingly - when it convenient and friendly to mood.

This log being for one of the ways I will attempt to fulfil that promise.

I had to miss the last couple of boxing classes due to familial commitments - which really, really sucks as I've never managed to push myself any where near the limits as those grizzled trainers can at the hole-in-the-wall where I take my classes.

Be that as it may, I did manage to finally stabilise enough ceilings joists in our basement to safely swing my 15st 5pounds on the stud mounted bars and rings that I'd put up without worry of rolling the beams and unsettling the acoustical flooring upstairs. Swinging on the gymnastics rings is ... well...is a goal! Flying through the air with the greatest of ease...n'yet...right now I'm just sort of ... hanging there, very stiff and not feeling too graceful, thinking of all the weight-loss diets I've ever heard of. I'm sure I resemble someone in the last stages of tetanus.

Pushing aside the nagging thoughts that I needed to get the MT bag hung first, run to the hardware store and begin picking out the steel tubing to make a rack with, relocate the speed bag platform...

It'd never end...I'd spend another month getting things "just right" and never use any of it.

As Ned tactfully pointed out when I was going on about it, You don't have to have everything - a skip rope, a bag - and most of all, the willingness to plow through one's own prison of procrastination.

Of course I knew that...but it helps to hear the obvious from someone else, from time to time.

When I miss class, I like to try to approximate much as possible, what's going on at the gym, so that is what's on the plate today. Other days will be for complimentary exercises, allied muscle groups and the like...

Class conditioning drills have been for 3 minutes ( or whatever number of reps, depending ) with 30 second rests in between exercises and a 1 minute rest on the last set of an exercise.

Its a walk in the park to some, I know, but that rate has nearly done me in during class - not able to complete the last set of some of the circuits at the end of the hour. Keeping in mind, my goal is improvement - being able to complete ALL circuits and prescribed sets in and for the time length given, the question is do I ease up a bit - a 2 minute circuit, for example or do I stiff-upper and carry on.

As the conditioning time is increasing each week in class and the rest period isn't, it wouldn't do for me to go backwards, so I elect to stay the 3 minute with 30 second rests course.

Everlast makes those crakin' Interval Training Round timers and I'ma glad I've one.

Warm-Up ( No rests in between)

skipping - 2 minutes

jumping jacks - 20

kneehugs/knee raises 30 seconds

Drills (all on 70lb bag) time rest

jab, jab, cross 3min 30 sec

jab, cross, left hook to head, right hook to head 3min 30 sec

jab to body, cross to head 3min 30 sec

jab, body shot, jab 3min 30 sec

combination eights 3min 1 minute

rope skipping ( beginning to get winded now ) 5 minutes 1 minute

rapid left/right straights 3 minutes 30 sec

jab to head cross to body, right MT low kick 3min 30 sec

jab, cross, right MT low kick, jab, cross, switch - left MT low kick, jab, cross, switch 3min 30 sec

jab, cross, right MT low kick, jab, cross, switch - left MT low kick, jab, cross, switch 3min 30 sec

( I'm heaving, gassed out, face numb but continue )

burpees (no longer able to make complete spreads on the last ones) 3min 1min

right low kick, right body kick, switch left low kick, left body, switch 3min 1min

rope skipping (barely able to get the feet off the ground, last one's just drop the rope on 3min 1min
    the floor and jump over it - god almighty I can only go up from here, right?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2014
  2. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Congrats on taking the plunge! One more log floating around in the, um, forum. I only use intervals when I'm shadowboxing or such, but using them with technical work seems like it would be a good way to keep myself from slacking off... I might try it next time.

3. belltoller

RING TRAINING

Putting on eight pounds in a week over the Thanksgiving Holiday does not make for a splendid time on the rings but I've become quite smitten with the bastards - I suppose 'cause they are so uncooperative. Seems to be my fate - living with uncooperative people and taking up uncooperative hobbies :rolleyes:

Muscle Up

lol...right...uh-huh...that's a good one

Ring Rows

The idea here is to bring the rings down to about lower abdomen height, grab the rings and walk till you are inclined and then keeping the elbows in, pull till your upper body is through the rings then return to your original starting point. The more inclined, the more difficult the exercise.

Ring Push Ups

For this I had to take the rings down from the ceiling beams and attach them to the pull up bar I had mounted ( check Ned's log for what that looks like as I'd posted a few pics on his crackin' training log )

I added a few right angle plates for extra safety on top of the 12 lag screws I already had in the set up. The last thing I want is a steel bar coming down on the back of my head should my 15+ stone be too much for the 2x4 studs when doing this routine.

Have the rings about 5 cm or so off the floor and keeping a straight line from knees to shoulders - push up and lower to just the point where one's Roman (or otherwise) nose is touching the floor and your chest is about the same height as the lower half circle of the rings - i.e. chest barely off the floor - this one makes you maintain good form!

Ring Dips

I'ma working on 'em...these really take more balance than I've at present to do properly. So for now Im working on balancing better ( rings should be at chest height.

Think they're easy, you do? Try them!

I've a bit more but I hear the wife chasing the bairns through the house with her Chinese meat cleaver - must be supper time. ;)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  4. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Good on ya. Been over 35 years since I've done any sort of ring work. We have them at my gym but I haven't put them to use yet. If my memory serves correctly, the key to good ring work is a tight core and keeping the rings stable while being relaxed at the same time. The issue I had with rings (and parallel bars too) is I have weak and tiny wrists. My balance and grip on the rings had to be spot on or I was falling off.

5. belltoller

One's tight core needs its own tight core. Cor...I look like I'm having epileptic fits when I'm trying to stabalise myself on 'em. They are absolute murder - absolute abominations.

6. belltoller

7. belltoller

Hang on, Wandy, lol.

[​IMG]

8. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Good on ya Bubs, keep up the good work, Ricky and Julian would be proud!

9. belltoller

I'm doin' it for the kitty, Jim; doing it all for the kitty.

10. belltoller

L-a-a-a-a-awd, lawd - I be so behind on my log keeping...

Hopefully I can manage to catch up at least one day to things before I"ve to be off again...

Previous sessions found belltoller's class focusing on conditioning with increasing levels of effort and intensity with each corresponding session.
    Last week saw a reversal with the focus being on the basic mechanics of movement, stances, rhythm and the differences between short and long rhythm, breathing, etc.,.

Class begins with 5 min rope skipping and 5 min of rapid, left/right straights which is all of the bagwork we will see today.

Demonstrations follow and then repeated with the class following along with instructor as a group. Afterwhich, each student pairs up with an instructor for a one-on-one to correct any deficiencies or to clarify certain points brought up in the group demo.

Basic stance - position of legs and feet; head, arms, hand position

• Correct width of feet, leading with shoulder, swiveling, flexing at knees, bending at hips, proper posture - which is tested by instructors pushing students from various angles

• demo elbows in, forearm position, description of target areas to protect, correct tension, need for chin down, various training tips for maintaining this important point. Position of the head, position of hand and palms. The need to maintain good form without rigidity, methods for achieving this.
    Intro to movement

• Stepping - great emphasis placed on proper and economical movement in the ring - much time on demo's - group as well as individual instruction.

• Movement forward, movement backwards, individual student demo with instructor ( as simple and basic as it is, there's ALWAYS room for improvement here, they can make this quite challenging! )
    Class wraps with rope skipping, and time is spent going over various post-workout stretches ( I'm glad they brought this up ) for injury avoidance etc.

EDIT: I'm keen on setting up mirrors for home bagwork when I've the time.

To be Continued

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  11. belltoller

After 5 min skipping and a couple prisoner walks around the building, class continues with where it left off with emphasis on movement - frontwards and backwards with proper use of lead and rear feet.

Lateral movement is introduced as is the use of the heavy swinging bag. Proper form is emphasised throughout.

Movement (group)

• movement forward, movement backward

• lateral movement

• length of steps, closing gaps, reforming proper stance, practice with maintaining foot distance and timing

• Intro to pivoting and sliding

Movement (individual with instructor)

Instructors work with each student (tonight in pairs as there were only two instructors and a few more students) on movement mechanics and correcting major problem areas. Students rotate with each instructor and attempt to counter-move with/against an instructor on a specific direction of movement. Short, economical strides are emphasised. Again, corrections to form ( head/chin, arm and hand placement, proper bending at knees ) are made throughout the exercise.

• (counter) movement forward, movement backward

• (counter) lateral movement

• pivoting and sliding for rapid changes in direction

• work on cadence rhythm and timing - proper movement on/off feet, side-to-side rhythm

• more instruction on lateral movement with additional work on corresponding head and shoulder movement

Intro to Movement with Heavy Bags

• stepping with heavy bag, pivoting, counter stepping

Class wrap with 1 minute skip rope, 1 minute agility ladder drill ( 5 Count step ) for 3 sets. Cool down, stretches.

All very basic, very simple yet so much to blend into a single seamless, fluid

12. belltoller

skip rope 3 min
    5 Count Step agility ladder 3 min
    Fast punching on heavy bag 3 min

Recap of basic movement - forwards, backwards, lateral
    Movement with heavy swinging bag, pivoting and counter-stepping

Fundamentals of the Jab (Group instruction)

Fundamentals of jab (individual)

• proper shifting of bodyweight
    • amount of upper body rotation, lead shoulder position
    • position of palms and knuckles
    • quick reversal to original stance
    Fundamentals of the Cross (Group instruction)

Fundamentals of the Cross (individual/instructor)

• proper shifting of weight and twisting of upper body
    • position of rear shoulder
    • angle and position of rear arm at delivery
    • reversal to stance
    Head Jab while Moving Forward (Group and Individual/Inst)
    Just add a wee bit of movement and the simplest of fundamentals begin showing us just how much we need to work on stepping! Just when you think you know it all...Didn't complete your forward step by the time you hit the mitt? Pushups! Left your forward arm out instead of a quick retract? Burpees!

Cross to Head while Moving (Group and Ind/Inst)
    The utility of utilising proper movement with the cross was highly stressed and much time was spent understanding the mechanics and applying it individually.

• pushing from rear foot, position of lead foot while sliding rear forward
    • shifting of weight forwards and position of rear shoulder.
    • quick retraction to stance
    Students drill jabs on pads, rotate instructor, crosses on pads with movement forward.

Padwork continues with students mixing crosses and jabs while moving forward.

At my previous gym, our coach would have us practicing our jabs and crosses on each other and no doubt there'd be a bloody nose by now, lol.

My new team really believes in the fundamentals of movement and we don't move on until we are near doing it in our sleep.

Class Wrapup
    :

• Movement with swinging heavy bags - Forward, backwards, lateral
    • High Intensity fast punching of heavy bag (1-2,1-2,1-2) 30 sec with 30 rest; 5 sets
    • Interval rope skipping 1 min with 30 sprint ( I really had trouble with the double-unders :( 3 sets.
    • stretches

13. belltoller

It's 3:30am - a wee late even for belltoller.

So I'm half-eye open but determined to log this as I'm still on last week and my memory fades. This will be a quick one; hope you're not put off if I roll over and go to sleep afterwards...

Warm-Up

• skip rope - 3 min
    • agility ladder, jumping jacks while waiting turn to repeat - 5 min
    • High Intensity fast punching of heavy bag (1-2,1-2,1-2) - 45 sec/30sec rest 5 sets

Recap
    Movement with free swinging heavy bags - Forward, backwards, lateral. [EDIT Hairpin side steps.] Pivoting, sliding.

Some were showing wide stances when returning to form when moving back so additional time was spent on moving backwards in the ring.

Recap
    (Pads)[EDIT Jab ]to the head moving forward, cross to head moving forward, corrections of stances, etc.,

Jab to the Body
    From stance position of body and bend of legs for lead shoulder line up with target, etc, knuckle line, [EDIT Straightline with shoulder]

Cross to the Body

bent knees, duck, rotate towards rear, lead shoulder back, rear shoulder moving forward, simultaneous weight shift to lead leg. Return to stance

Individual/Group

Straight Punch Drill (pads) Jab to head, retract to stance, jab to body, retract to stance, jab to head, return to stance, quick cross to head, duck and cross to body. Return to Stance, cross to head back to stance.

We worked these over and over and over and ... constant corrections made regarding our stance and occasionally, someone will leave their lead jab arm out a bit too long and then its the 'gig pit' for push-ups and burpees - but this last drill has everyone retracting their arm right quick.

Correctly pushing off with rear leg as one rotates their core for the rear-arm cross each time, though so simple becomes more problematic as the pace of rapid jabs and crosses is picked up. Eventually the pace is reduced so as not to compromise form.

Demo Use of Heavy Bags for Combos

• Double jab cross
      • work on shifting weight between feet
      • rear leg powers movement
      • work on correct balance
      • work on speed for effectiveness
    • Jab to head, cross to body, jab to head - nicely effective
      • work on simultaneous dipping and rotating (for body cross) just as jab lands
      • springing up for quick jab to head as cross lands
    Lot of time spent on this last one (jab, bodyshot, jab) as timing is paramount to be its most effective.

• Jab to head, cross to head, jab to head
    Class Wrap

• Interval Rope skipping :)( ) 1min pace, 30sec sprint for 3 sets ( I've to do something about my inability to do double-unders, I'm beginning to dread this portion of class )

• Agility ladder "1 - 2's" forward, reverse, lead with other foot, move to next station and

• Agility ladder "1 - 2's" lateral, reverse, lead with other foot, move to next station and

• Interval Rope skipping :)mad:) 1min pace, 30sec sprint for 3 sets ( stick a fork in me 'cause I'm done already )

• Agility ladder - I forget what this one is called, my heart beating had me not to hear the coach - "lateral backs" or somesuch - amasingly difficult (when one is gassed, especially) - they supposedly mimic the back and forth step and feints found in the ring

• Interval Rope Skipping :)bang:) 1min pace, 30sec sprint (45sec sprint on the last) 3 sets - all I'm doing is a bad imitation of a cat on a hot tin roof by now - I'm reminded of the time when I was four or five and my playmate and myself decided to set fire to some dry leaves in a Shankill park - madly jumping up and down on the smouldering leaves in a vain attempt to hide our indiscretion.
    Done for, can barely stretch.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  14. InkyTommy

InkyTommy Unique Like Everyone Else

Nice! So couple of questions: What's a "Hairpie" and a "veg stew to the head"?

(I know what that first one is...just not in terms of muay thai/boxing!)

15. belltoller

:eek:

16. belltoller

I canna explain away 'veg stew' as a typo, can I ?

17. belltoller

14.12.2014 Sparring with dog, 10 minutes

The wife and kids were out earlier this evening and as I'd missed last evenings UFC "Fight Night" I decided it'd be a good time to have a very rare telly time.

I always find that I rarely stay seated when I'm watching a good fight, so I was standing up close to the telly when I became a bit carried away by one of the matches and had began to shadow box ( admit it, you do as well! ) the next thing I know, our dog, Lazy Sod, who is part boxer, was up on his two hind legs and was going at me, kangaroo style , lol!

He's actually quite good, as he and I had several 'rounds' and I was a bit winded afterwards, though he fights dirty. He'll turn his back and look the other way - just as I start to begin watching a match, he lunges forward and up on his legs again, lol.

18. belltoller

I've realised that if I wait till I've proper time, it'll never happen.

Who knows the art of stealing enough moments away from life to put together a decent routine that one can activate at a moments notice?

This morning: Suddenly occurred to me...quick, spontaneous, unscheduled workouts might be like quick, spontaneous, unscheduled sex...

push ups (good form) 15

crunches 15

jumping jacks 15

side leg raises (good form) 30 each side

squats 30

19. belltoller

Well, not quite but still, I think worth it as the little routines here and there add up

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I agree mate.

Right now, aside from physio for my achilles tendon, I'm in too much pain from my right hip to do a serious workout. I do 'grease the grove' push-ups every two to three hours, only five per set (for now) but doing up to eight sets in a day. I plan to add a rep to each set every week. I started doing "stair repeats" once a day. Up and down = 1 rep. Just one set a day. Started with 5 reps last week, adding 1 rep every day. Managed a 10 rep set today, which would have seemed nigh on impossible at first. 11 reps tomorrow, 12 day after that... don't know where I'll cap it. But regular, gradual progression is definitely the key to getting back into physical activity, imo.

Sorry for hijacking your thread. :)