Frodocious's Fabulous Female Fitness Frenzy

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Frodocious, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Sorry to hear that!

Do you know what caused the calf problem?

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Not sure, I sort of remember it feeling a bit twingy when I was snowboarding on Saturday, so I might have tweaked it then, or it could be due to the fact that I've added skipping into my routine and it's a case of doing a bit too much too soon. I've got it strapped up at the moment and am going to be careful with it over the next few days and hope it settles down. It's not a major pull but I am limping slightly due to the discomfort. GRRRRR!

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Well I hope it feels better soon, and doesn't disrupt your schedule too much.

I reckon it's always better to start off gently when you add a new element to your training. But of course you don't need anyone to tell you that! ;)

4. Frodocious

Cheers! I suspect that the snowboarding on a different board (a rental as mine is in for service) might have something to do with the grumbly calf. The foot angles and stance width was a bit different to my usual riding position so may have put different stress on the calf than normal and on top of that adding in the skipping might just have irritated something. I'm going to take tonight off and see if I can do a pain free barbell complex tomorrow, then see how it goes over the weekend.

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Do you think that doing some gentle walking might help?

6. Frodocious

Probably not today, but I might try that later in the week/over the weekend, along with some easy stretching to loosen things off.

7. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Cool, I hope your shoulder behaves...
    What happened to it?
    Is it the top position that hurts it, or stress at the bottom? I'm probably going to suggest things you've tried before, but: wider grip? High incline? Landmine? Neutral grip will be covered by football bar, and 'natural' grip by DBs...
    Good luck!

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Hey frodo - have you thoguht about trying more brachiation (swinging across stuff) exercises? was reading a pretty good study on serratus anterior activation and swinging (serratus ant. is heavily involved in pressing and shoulder health)

9. Frodocious

I had a shoulder impingement several years back and have to be careful with pressing movements. I also have a bit of RSI in my good shoulder from too much mouse use in work. When I'm doing strength work, I normally do landmine presses and football bar presses to keep things as a neutral grip. This normally works well. I'm just experimenting at the moment to see how my shoulder handles other pressing movements.

I haven't done that sort of thing in years! At the moment I don't really have access to any equipment to do it. However, if I get my act together and start going to the free running classes near here, they have equipment for swinging on, so maybe that is an incentive to start.

I went for a walk round town last night and the good news is my calf felt a lot less painful. Its very tight when I go up on my toes or try to squat but I hope a bit of rest will let things settle down. I may try some stationary bike work tonight or over the weekend.

10. Frodocious

I went for another walk round town last night and my calf felt OK afterwards. Its very tight when I go up on my toes or try to squat but I hope a bit of rest will let things settle down. I may try some stationary bike work over the weekend.

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

have you got any compression bands, or as the crossfit brigade call them voodoo bands? they work very well to get the blood back into a sore area and speed up recovery, i use them to warm up sore areas nearly daily

12. Frodocious

I've been using a cobbled together system - basically a neoprene elbow sleeve that I wrap carefully round the calf. Not quite the same thing, but it offers support and warmth.

13. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I used to do something similar, but then I got a proper band and the tension it allows is much tougher, Although I dislike most things crossift Kelly sterrets flossing stuff is very good and really seems to help speed up recovery and regeneration, but then he got his ideas for band flossing from dick hartzell who really knows his stuff

14. Frodocious

Cool, I'll look into getting a set of those bands. Thank you! :)

15. Frodocious

12/08/15

Static ring holds
    3x20 secs

Clean
    2x3 10kg
    1x3 15kg
    5x3 20kg

Supersetted with

Overhead press
    2x3 10kg
    1x3 15kg
    3x3 20kg

No shoulder grumbles after this, but I may alternate these weekly with landmine presses just to be safe

Reverse Hyperextension
    2x10
    1x5 unweighted

Barbell Glute Bridges
    3x5 20kg

Bent Over Barbell Row
    4x10 14 kg
    Head supported football bar row, alternating close grip and normal grip each set

Dumbbell swings
    15lb
    1x5
    1x10
    1x15
    1x20

Dead Bug
    3x5
    2 leg version - partial reps

Yay, back to lifting! :D :happy:

16. Frodocious

15/08/15

Static ring holds
    3x20 secs

Barbell Squat
    1x5 10kg
    1x5 15kg
    1x5 20kg
    1x3 20kg
    1x2 25kg
    3x5 30kg

Football Bar Bench Press
    3x5 14 kg
    Alternating grip width (narrow, wider, narrow)

Deadlift
    1x5 20kg
    1x5 30kg
    1x5 40kg
    1x3 50kg
    1x2 55kg
    1x5 60kg

Ring Row
    5x5
    feet on floor

Dumbbell Swing 15lb
    5, 10, 15, 20, 20

Dead Bug
    3x6
    2 leg version - partial reps

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  17. Frodocious

17/08/15

1 mile interval run/walk
    1 min run/ 2 mins walk

Calf felt fine, will try 2 miles next time out.

18. Frodocious

GRRRR!!!!! I have a cold. :(

19. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Those are some of the best excercises there are. Hard to duplicate and they really get at hidden core muscles, aid with doing pull-ups...

I'm gonna be starting back at the rings pretty soon. Went to the trouble of putting them up in the basement - I suppose I oughta use 'em sometime :eek:

Picked up strep from one of my kids...wanna trade?

20. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Get well soon, young lady :) ~hugs~