nunchucks question

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Dustinthepimp, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Dustinthepimp

Dustinthepimp New Member

does anyone know of any books or videos that teach u how to use the nunchucks i cant take a class cause the one i was is gone but anyways any help is appreciated

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Search amazon.com (use the link from the "Support Martial Arts Planet -- Click Here" page, linked at the top of this page). I know there is a book because I read it a long time ago.

I've also watched a video, but I can't remember any details. :bang: Sorry.

3. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Firstly - learning to use a weapon from a book or video is dangerous. I know it causes serious pain when you hit yourself with nunchaku (especially when you are a beginner), but without an instructor to help put the technique right you will probably just keep making the same mistake.

Secondly (and to answer your question) - from Amazon (as Mac says, use the Support link above), look for a book called Nunchaku - Karate Weapon of Self Defence by Fumio Demura and Advanced Nunchaku by the same author.

Thirdly (a pet-hate of mine) - it is nunchaku!

4. MaS_OyaMa

MaS_OyaMa New Member

The best approach to learning the Nunchaku, is to take a Kobudo class-- The Nunchaku, originally, was stringed- but through time, they changed them to chain nunchaku (point being, in Kobudo, you don't learn chain nunchaku- not supposed to anyway.) But yeah, taking a class through videos and books is kinda' dumb, especially in the MA field.

Thanks

5. Jujitm

Jujitm New Member

Just for Gods sake use foam ones till you get the technique if your going to train

6. Hapkido Student

Hapkido Student New Member

7. TalkMartialArts

TalkMartialArts Valued Member

8. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

How come you hate 'em so much?

(don't use 'em myself, just curious)

9. Mufty

Mufty New Member

Have you Tried 'Enter The Dragon' otherwise try un-edited version of 'The Way of The Dragon' if you can find one. He He He :Angel:

Yep as said find an Okinawan Kobudo school.

TRY VIDEO "Kobudo The Weapons Arts of Okinawa by Shimpo Matayoshi'

Can be obtained from Mona Books Uk
    www.monabooks.co.uk
    email mike@monabooks.co.uk
    Tel 01248 723486

They have a large selection of books and videos, and he knows what he is talking about his been around for years, ask him for advice.

Good luck

10. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

It isnt the weapon I hate, its just the very frequent mis-spelling of the name that gets me annoyed :bang:

11. TalkMartialArts

TalkMartialArts Valued Member

The right spelling is not in English anyway. Because it's not an English word, you can spell it just as you like as long as it sounds right.

12. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

No you can't. (tell that to the Wing/Ving Chun people :eek: )

13. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

i personally train in nunchaku..and i started on my own...juss by messing around with one...and i got quite fond of it...and so i trained more and more..and i am rather skilled...and now i am trying to learn to handle two at a time..and man...that's hard..i looked around for books juss to see if there was something i was doing wrong..i found some in barnes and nobles..and borders...but they are pretty old..i didn't know they offered classes in it..so now i know..thanks!! but yeah i don't suggest the books, the picture really dont show u much, maybe a video would be better??

Dj Hunny