Martial Arts Planet  

Go Back   Martial Arts Planet > Articles and Reviews > Chinese Martial Arts Articles
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Old 22-Apr-2009, 02:05 PM
Valued Member

Hi Guy's,
For me, drills are all well and good. They show the mechanics and possible application of a particular block/strike combination. It's only when you start to get into the free flow of chi sau that you learn to deal with the spontaneous, unpredictable nature of someone actually trying to lamp you one. to say noone chi sau's in a real fight is a simplafication. All fights result in contact, the bridge being met..
Old 03-Sep-2009, 07:57 AM
Valued Member

i feel that is a biest oppinion everything starts from the ground in WT your power when u strike is in the legs in wint tsun not from the hips and the foot work is verry spicific to protect you as well as move into your opponets attack and strike at the same time. the only focus we use on the hands is where we are striking which is mainly to our opponets face.
Old 03-Sep-2009, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalomdokwan87 View Post
i feel that is a biest oppinion everything starts from the ground in WT your power when u strike is in the legs in wint tsun not from the hips and the foot work is verry spicific to protect you as well as move into your opponets attack and strike at the same time. the only focus we use on the hands is where we are striking which is mainly to our opponets face.
you should read this http://futsaowingchun.info/articles.html#section4 read the article "Do you have a Root".
Old 06-Sep-2009, 11:44 PM
Valued Member

this is verry true in the fact that allot of martial artist do that try to get ahead of themselves in their art. and i feel allot of it is due to the instructors letting them too. if its only in the one art. my Sifu wont let me even do chi sao untill iv been in a year and understand the basics such as the little idea form and foot work and all that fun stuff. i feel allot of people steriotype martal arts the same as they do people in highschool saying if you wear all black your are goth and such. but every martial artist is different and they should progress as such. and i thank you for the artical i shall pass it on.
Old 06-Sep-2009, 11:49 PM
Valued Member

one last thing is are these Sifu's backed at all by a orinization such as IWTA or anything.
Old 09-Sep-2009, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
one last thing is are these Sifu's backed at all by a orinization such as IWTA or anything.
If you mean the author of the article(that's me) no,I'm not a member of the IWTA.
Old 13-Sep-2009, 02:01 AM
Valued Member

Ok thats fine. whats your history as a martial artist i love history and sharing knowlege.

and i agree allot of schools in america seem to jump ahead to the flashy stuff and dont touch on the basics as much therefor the students get ahead of themselves and cant apply it in a real situation.

i feel i can be to keep peoples interest and sense of accomplishment.
Old 14-Sep-2009, 04:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ok thats fine. whats your history as a martial artist i love history and sharing knowlege.

and i agree allot of schools in america seem to jump ahead to the flashy stuff and dont touch on the basics as much therefor the students get ahead of themselves and cant apply it in a real situation.

i feel i can be to keep peoples interest and sense of accomplishment.

'' My history as a martial artists'' if you mean my background in martial arts training you can read it on my website. http://futsaowingchun.info/bio.html and also the history of Fut Sao you can read here. http://futsaowingchun.info/history.html

there are two basics kinds of martial art school one is commerical A.K.A a Mc Dojo or Mc kuen the teacher is mostly about money and uses belts/slashes to keep the student there for a long time. Usesly taeches a lot of material but not much is placed on quality instruction IMHO. the other is more private classes are smaller learning is slower but more attention to quality instructions. the teacher usually does not make his bread and butter teaching so he does not need to promote or move up his students to qickly. This is just a general observation not all school are like this though. My self I teach. I have a small number of students and I expect them to master the basics before I teach them any higher money or length of time training does not matter. Quality of instructions is very high I give my best and expect my students to be the best.
Old 22-Feb-2010, 11:29 PM
Valued Member

Tai Chi and Wing Chung Sparring

I want to say that I just love the interaction in this room and humbly invite you all to review my website at www.angelsgym.com. Cloudz invited me here and has already posted some of my articles. You guys rock and Im glad to be here. I would like to add to the thoughts here in the context of training to handle an opponent of equal skill, experience but whose skill set is outside of Chinese Kung Fu.

If one has ones Form application down to a science (13 Postures or Startegies) and uses Pushhands and Stickyhands training when applied to the Five Powers, Five Character Secret they are indeed developing some serious skills. The Five powers of follow, link, adhere, stick, never resist and never let go neutralizes opponents who favor distance standup fighting. The Five Character Secret negates any natural advantages an opponent might have.

These skills can be carried into Pankration & Submission Wrestling Scenarios wherein ones offense and defense concerning takedowns are included in these sparring drills. Ground striking drills should also be incorporated. Push & Sticky Hands techniques can be executed on the ground even as additional skills and training should be exercised to transition from such a scenario.

I think that in the 21st Century no style can resist the inclusion of all 4 fighting scenarios (Standup, Clinch, Takedown and Ground Fighting). Fighting Internal Stylists know this approach is good Kung Fu; moreover, a Kung Fu that require the cultivation of modern training regimines with the knowledge of the ancient Masters. All Kung fu must be constantly examined to meet present needs in Martial Combat.

The merger and training of Tai Chi Form and Wing Chun sparring drills seems almost a necessity for Fighters who are inferior to their opponents in age, size, speed, strength and endurance. If I missed something here please correct me and thanks for reading this.... G

Last edited by ANGELSGYMSINGH; 22-Feb-2010 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Spelling and syntax
Old 23-Feb-2010, 12:12 AM
Valued Member

If you can sense where your opponent's

- leg is, you can reduce the chance to be kicked and kneed by that leg.
- arm is, you can reduce the chance to be punched and elbowed by that arm.

This concept make CMA different from boxing.

The bridge building is a 2 way street. When you can apply Tinjin on your opponent, your opponent can also apply Tinjin on you. IMO, the moment that you have built a bridge, you should collect your information from your bridge ASAP. You then pass that bridge and destroy it at the same time. This is why I don't like Taiji push hand because the concept of "destroy bridge ASAP" is missing. The same principle should also be applied on the leg bridge building, and it should be done before the arm bridge building.

Last edited by YouKnowWho; 23-Feb-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 23-Feb-2010, 12:56 AM
Valued Member

To John

Awesome perspective regarding the bridge building and destruction. A little questionable about the comparison concerning CMA and Western Boxing. If there is a difference its the methodology to achieve the skill which may be what you are talking about.

To do what you are talking about requires alot of skill and is considered even by CMA standards to be advanced when mastery is the goal. Western Pugilism (Boxing) or rather Western Martial Arts such as Boxing or Kickboxing or Pancrase (Striking and Grappling) train to the same standard regarding the subject you are discussing. Moreover, levels of mastery of that skill differenciates novice, Junior Olympic and Open Amateur Fighters. Professional Western Pugilists are expected to have completely mastered these skills once past the Journeyman Stage of their careers. You may not be aware of this skill-set development outside of Chinese culture but the West has magic too... lol... We managed to keep you here with us didn't we... lol

Anyway I think your response to the guy giving me advice was very helpful even with the comparison. Thanks..

I do understand your aversion to Tai Chi Push Hands because of your bridge-destruction theory, but perhaps this theory is alittle too external. The idea in the exercise is suppose to be making a connection to create a harmony of intent, movement and spirit that causes the neutralization of opposites. But John, destruction is implicite in the application of Tai Chi Ch'uan's internal approach. What is destroyed is disharmony of intent, movement and spirit as the point of engagement is not to beat one's opponent but to have ones opponent beat themselves if they wish to remain engaged in a disharmonious manner. In Tai Chi winning has nothing to do with domination but with surrendering all but the will to survive the encounter without damage.

I think you know this John but you are just playing Devil's Advocate... Stop messin with us... lol

Last edited by ANGELSGYMSINGH; 23-Feb-2010 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Missed Johns mention of Tai Chi
Old 24-Feb-2010, 01:12 AM
Valued Member

Futsao.... I think we Tai Chi guys should practice Chi Sao to bring us closer to what the ancient masters could do and to also bring those two awesome style linegages to the modern fighting arena's schools of training. We do it at Angel's Gym and find that it is a true weakness that needs to be addressed constantly as the skills are perisable. I think your posts are great and would love to hear more about your training methods and learning experiences concerning the merging of Wing Chun and Tai Chi sparring. We are also practicing Bagua movements during these sparring sessions.... More thoughts please bro..... G
Old 13-Apr-2010, 07:14 PM
Banned

chi sao is fun... really good for building sensitivity... trapping hands is fun too... maybe their both just as applicable to combat in their own way... good to be inside yourself so you know when its time to throw a slap block and maybe try and grab that wrist.... slip and arm under and take them over the knee, you know? not classical wing chun, but gotta love those take downs
Old 19-Apr-2010, 02:22 AM
Valued Member

it looks like pattycakes
Old 19-Apr-2010, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch of death View Post
it looks like pattycakes
wing chun turn face flat flat like patty cake mamasang