Martial Arts Planet  

Go Back   Martial Arts Planet > Articles and Reviews > Mixed Martial Arts Articles
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Old 31-Aug-2008, 08:51 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodocious View Post
Rubbish! BJJ is an excellent choice for a woman, particularly if she is worried about self defense issues. Attacks on woman can potentially be with the aim of rape and taking the victim to the ground, so any art that deals with ground fighting, how to control an opponent who is on top of you and how to disable them (or at the very least get out from under them) is a perfect art for a woman.
I'd just like to second that. I couldn't agree more.
Old 22-Jan-2009, 03:34 PM
Tustom Cuser Uitle

Nice article!

I feel that if a woman really wants to learn BJJ then go to it! But she had better be ready to get some unusual handling because in BJJ, everyone does.

I think that in the case of inappropriate handling, you should have the culprit spar against the toughest guy there. Then lets see what happens.
Old 23-Jan-2009, 10:28 PM
Laser tag = NOT MA...

We do that, its great fun for people with massive egos too. Luckily I've got a fair few guys who are willing to take any idiots on and give them a battering.
Old 01-Mar-2009, 06:33 PM
Valued Member

I know what it's like being the smallest. In my grappling matches I'm usually the smallest person by 4 inches and 40 lbs at the least.
Old 01-Mar-2009, 10:47 PM
PaciFIST's evil twin

Quote:
Rubbish! BJJ is an excellent choice for a woman, particularly if she is worried about self defense issues. Attacks on woman can potentially be with the aim of rape and taking the victim to the ground, so any art that deals with ground fighting, how to control an opponent who is on top of you and how to disable them (or at the very least get out from under them) is a perfect art for a woman.

I have never been a fan of BJJ for self defence but you make a point that
I have never really thought of and you might have just changed my mind.
Well said.
Old 02-Mar-2009, 10:58 AM
She who MUST be obeyed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paciFIST View Post
I have never been a fan of BJJ for self defence but you make a point that
I have never really thought of and you might have just changed my mind.
Well said.
I think the whole point of self defense is to get a comprehensive set of skills that give you the potential for dealing with a range of attacks, and BJJ covers the ground issue perfectly.
Old 03-Mar-2009, 11:09 AM
Valued Member

Hi, i dont do BJJ, but i just came across this article.
A good, interesting point of view, as most other people have pointed out.
Just wish more women would highlight what they want, need, like and dislike about martial arts in general. Then there might be less of the bozo attitude that gets banded about and who's style is better than whos.
More power to you!
Old 03-Mar-2009, 08:23 PM
Capoeirista

Great write-up! It's always interesting to hear the perspectives of women in the martial arts.
Old 03-Mar-2009, 08:34 PM
PaciFIST's evil twin

Quote:
I think the whole point of self defense is to get a comprehensive set of skills that give you the potential for dealing with a range of attacks, and BJJ covers the ground issue perfectly.

I understand the point of self defence thats why I've never thought Bjj was a fully rounded SD system as it only really covers groundwork.
But in the scenario that was used earlier (rape) which would more than likely end up on the ground BJJ is perfect.
Old 03-Mar-2009, 08:51 PM
She who MUST be obeyed!

Quote:
I understand the point of self defence thats why I've never thought Bjj was a fully rounded SD system as it only really covers groundwork.
But in the scenario that was used earlier (rape) which would more than likely end up on the ground BJJ is perfect.
I think that's the interesting thing about 'self defence'. The attack that someone has to defend themselves from can be dependant on the sex of the victim. I suspect blokes are much more likely to get into a stand up type drunken pub brawl that goes to the ground by accident, whereas a woman is more likely to be the victim of a rape type attack, where the whole point of the attacker is to take it to the ground. Obviously this is a huge generalisation, but anyone taking a martial art for self defence purposes should be aware of the potential for different types of attack with totally different goals.
Old 04-Mar-2009, 01:19 AM
PaciFIST's evil twin

Quote:
I think that's the interesting thing about 'self defence'. The attack that someone has to defend themselves from can be dependant on the sex of the victim. I suspect blokes are much more likely to get into a stand up type drunken pub brawl that goes to the ground by accident, whereas a woman is more likely to be the victim of a rape type attack, where the whole point of the attacker is to take it to the ground. Obviously this is a huge generalisation, but anyone taking a martial art for self defence purposes should be aware of the potential for different types of attack with totally different goals.
I agree-Also being a man I've only thought of SD from a man's point of view,ie pub brawl ect.
Martial arts and RBSD are too male orientated and hopefully with people like you raising these issues things will change.

Thank you.
Old 04-Mar-2009, 01:40 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Martial arts and RBSD are too male orientated and hopefully with people like you raising these issues things will change.
Are you sure about this? I don't have any experience with RBSD (well, not yet at least) but from what I've read here on MAP, escaping mount, etc. is included in RBSD. And what about "model mugging"? Isn't this specifically designed to teach women to realistically defend themselves? As far as martial arts in general being male oriented, I disagree - some general examples of MA helping for females would be BJJ (already mentioned) protecting you when the attacker wants to take you down, Aikdio teaching how to control a larger person by use of anatomy, etc. And I recall some threads a while back that made an interesting point (that should be obvious, when you think about it ) - the best training for a women is basically the same as for a man; train hard, train realistically, learn to FIGHT!
Old 04-Mar-2009, 06:08 PM
She who MUST be obeyed!

Quote:
I don't think martial arts themselves are too male orientated. They are what they are. I do think that the public perception and advertising of martials art is the problem. That does tend to push the male combat side of things too much, which I'm sure puts off some women. Whereas the female orientated classes are either kickboxercise type things or short term self defence classes. As a woman, it can be daunting to go to a proper class for the first time and find it full of sweaty males! I know, I've done it often enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinmaster View Post
And I recall some threads a while back that made an interesting point (that should be obvious, when you think about it ) - the best training for a women is basically the same as for a man; train hard, train realistically, learn to FIGHT!
Absolutely! Although, if training for self defence, the emphasis on the skill set needed might need to be adapted for a woman.
Old 18-Apr-2009, 05:24 PM
Valued Member

This thread is just like my sister. My 2nd sister is taking MMA lessons and the 3rd one is being fascinated with Karate.

Being a woman is not the reason why they should not learn any Martial Arts skills.

I was the one who told them to learn an xtreme art, or I supposed sport, then later they both enjoyed and loved it.

Karate
Old 16-May-2009, 09:35 PM
Valued Member

Great article. I'll have to pass this along to my wife who trains with me. She's lucky however. We have about an even number of guys/gals at our school. Some classes, it's mostly female!

One question for anyone who can address it. How is BJJ in dealing with multiple attackers in a self defense scenario? I see someone asked about self defense for women. I'm quite sure it's very effective against one attacker.

What I recall my current head instructor saying about this topic is ringing in my head right now. He says that grappling isn't the best way to go when you're thinking self defense. He says escape is your goal and going to the ground (which he is an expert at!) is only a last resort. Also, he says once you're on the ground grappling on opponent, the other(s) may be kicking the daylights out of you.