Martial Arts Planet

Go Back   Martial Arts Planet » Articles and Reviews » Japanese Martial Arts Articles
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Old 03-Jul-2011, 09:50 AM
Registered Mapper

I know that this is a lil later than other posts but anyhow:
My teacher once gave a nice analogy whilst we were doing some awareness/sensitivity meditations. Like Sun Tzu said, "To be prepared at the front is to lack preparation at the rear." To be aware of one or more persons in an exercise is to lack awareness elsewhere. One must be like water in a barrel. When a hole develops in the barrel, it doesn't think about it's response, it doesn't train for it, it merely reacts to stimulus and flows out of the hole. So it should be with awareness, not trying to be alert, just being in tune with your surroundings, here and now.
Old 03-Jul-2011, 10:02 AM
TNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47MartialMan View Post
(...) Humans sense things only when one of the senses are nulled or challenged. (...)
Osu,

Only?
Can you please indicate sources?
Can you prove it?

Osu!
Old 03-Jul-2011, 10:03 AM
TNS

Quote:
Feeling the movement of air
Osu,

Hummmmmm, any sources or proof?
.............................. or simple quack humbuging of non existent wisdom?

Osu!
Old 03-Jul-2011, 10:22 AM
Valued Member

Senses...

I think this realm has to have rationality injected into it as many people in MA start to delve into these kind subjects thinking there is some sort of extra sensory mystical power coming into play. I for one believe that there is always a scientific explanation for these things. I feel in reality most humans in good health are generally more "aware" of their surroundings, more than most would be bothered to ask. Hard training in MA may help to increase awareness, but it doesn't develop eyes in the back of your head or some sort of mystical radar in the head. It's a well known fact that people who have one sense removed are more sensitive in others, but as always people love to imagine the mystery nonsense that creeps into these type of conversations....
I'm sure there are many who will disagree and you can bet they are more inclined to religion than us rationalists who say prove it.....
Old 28-Jul-2011, 06:04 PM
Registered Mapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by towag View Post
With respect 47 I would say that is common "sense"?
For example it is well known that blind people develop acute feeling in their fingertips, hence Braille... It just occurred to me that if you block off hearing sense, would it change the way one reacts to this type of training or does the sense of "feel" become more acute?.....
why delete another sense to heighten others, why not do all sorts of sense exercises so that ur senses may heighten as a whole. for example. eat different types of foods, smell different smells, feel different things and so on and so forth. hence...look at the life of goku. that is all.
Old 28-Jul-2011, 06:34 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def clip View Post
why delete another sense to heighten others, why not do all sorts of sense exercises so that ur senses may heighten as a whole. for example. eat different types of foods, smell different smells, feel different things and so on and so forth. hence...look at the life of goku. that is all.
Why not at all?.... if more people developed sense awareness, I'm sure there would be far fewer accidents and people would certainly be healthier as a whole. Practising MA does have that effect if its done with intent and purpose...
Old 29-Jul-2011, 06:57 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
I think this realm has to have rationality injected into it as many people in MA start to delve into these kind subjects thinking there is some sort of extra sensory mystical power coming into play. I for one believe that there is always a scientific explanation for these things. I feel in reality most humans in good health are generally more "aware" of their surroundings, more than most would be bothered to ask. Hard training in MA may help to increase awareness, but it doesn't develop eyes in the back of your head or some sort of mystical radar in the head. It's a well known fact that people who have one sense removed are more sensitive in others, but as always people love to imagine the mystery nonsense that creeps into these type of conversations....
I'm sure there are many who will disagree and you can bet they are more inclined to religion than us rationalists who say prove it.....
c'mon somebody take up the "challenge"

Last edited by towag; 29-Jul-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-Aug-2011, 04:08 AM
Valued Member

Sensitivity Training?

....... for what its worth is to keep it real, martial arts are not always about fighting at all, even when your sparring. Sometimes its just about fitness and learning some technique. .
Old 02-Aug-2011, 07:10 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Sensitivity Training?

Ha ha.... about right...
Old 21-Dec-2011, 07:04 AM
Valued Member

When I practiced my art everyday in my first year, I was surprised to find that I developed this awareness to some degree. My body reacted even before I was conscious in my mind that something was going to hit me or move me. I remember standing in line at McDonalds, just out from work and nothing on my mind but that fudge sundae. This guy started to move in front of me and my arm automatically raised halfway horizontally across my body to block him. He was apparently going to step back and bump me off balance, but all he hit was my steady arm and it was he who had to adjust his balance. I was genuinely surprised and I sort of smiled at him in apology. He was raising his eyebrow and looked mildly amused and put off.
My sensei explained that this was the result of continuous training, and other classmates told the same thing happened to them - they reacted unconsciously to protect themselves.
Sadly, I have had a minor injury and has been out of physical practice for some months now. I actually am stumbling again, though not like before I started my art, but this irks me all the same. Perhaps when I get back to training, I'll develop the sense again? I'll surely give the above suggestions a try, thanks for the post!
Old 22-Dec-2011, 01:37 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
c'mon somebody take up the "challenge"
I agree with the scientific view rather than the mystical one. Maybe there's more to that, but right now that is how I see it (being young in my art). Sure there are things that cannot be explained, but I think you cannot exclude hard physical science facts from things like this.

Did I take up the challenge by agreeing with you?
Old 20-Jan-2012, 07:11 PM
Valued Member

This sounds like a great drill, but I don't know anyone at my school who would be willing to do such a thing.

Boards don't hit back-Bruce Lee
I am not a crook!-Richard Nixon
Old 24-May-2013, 01:53 AM
Valued Member

The ear plugs idea is neat, that way you minimize sound also
Old 24-May-2013, 03:41 AM
Valued Member

Do people see something interest in the picture in the 1st post?

If person A on the left presses down person B's right arm on the right, A can use B's right arm to press down B's left arm, release B's left hand control on A's right arm, and free A's right hand to punch at B's face.
Old 24-May-2013, 10:49 AM
Valued Member

Is this like the 'prevention of psychosocial strain at work' training I have to attend at work next week?